PDA

View Full Version : Purigen reactor

dr.nick73
07-19-2015, 03:55 AM
Here is a dimple way to get your Purigen to tumble without getting all over your tank.
You will need:
Phosban 550 reactor
Small powerhead (approx 100-200ghp)
50 micron filter sock
Flow control valve

Cut filter sock to the same size as diffuser plate you will need 4 total
Place one at bottom of diffuser plate then one on top of plate and then the sponge from the reactor
Repeat for the top diffuser
Place required amount of Purigen
Place top diffuser
Close reactor
Connect hoses with control valve on the input line
Make sure valve is in closed position
Turn on powerhead and slowly open control valve till Purigen starts to tumble

See link

http://youtu.be/TeY0ayPtii8

rickztahone
07-19-2015, 03:37 PM
I've never used Purigen. It is simply for polishing?

dr.nick73
07-20-2015, 02:44 AM
mainly for polishing but also very useful in removing tannins from drift wood

pitdogg2
07-20-2015, 10:45 AM
Purigen works very well. I use it in my lifegard fluidized bed filter sans sand. I'm using it to take any bad mojo from our city water. After 6mo I can tell it is time to recharge as it is no longer riding as high in the filter column.

rickztahone
07-20-2015, 11:34 AM
Cool. I may give this a go. TFS

afriend
07-20-2015, 11:56 AM
I've never used Purigen. It is simply for polishing?

Rick,

Purigen is a miracle product, especially for discus. It will polish water for sure, but this is just the beginning. See this link for what Purigen can do when integrated with other elements of the filtration system:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?108835-Getting-the-WOW-Affect-with-Allot-Less-Work-Part-3-Water-Filtration-System

Purigen absorbs dissolved organic compounds (DOCs). DOCs come from two sources, uneaten fish food and feces. The main reason (but not the only reason) for making large water changes is to reduce DOCs. The use of Purigen will produce a cleaner, healthier environment for the fish.

When integrated with what I call the "total filtration system" it will eliminate algae, slime, and automatically remove feces from the tank. This GREATLY reduces tank maintenance while keeping the tank looking in pristine condition as if it has just been cleaned. What I claim here is no exaggeration, and I would be hesitant believe it myself unless I saw it with my own eyes, but I assure you that it really is true.

However there are limitations as to when this filtration system should be used. For example, since it will reduce nitrate to zero, it probably would not be suited for use in a planted tank. Also, since it requires a large amount of water circulation, it might not be suited for keeping very young fish. Also, if one is breeding fish for a business, the cost of Purigen and other parts of the filtration system might make it prohibited. I am sure that there are other considerations as well.

The total filtration system is not easy or cheap to implement, but it sure makes keeping discus a pleasure. In my case, I use the system for a non-planted show tank with adult discus. The result is really quite stunning to always have a pristine clean show tank, and yet spend very little time for tank maintenance.

I am presently working on putting together an update to the total filtration system for SD, and will present it in a couple of months. My last post on the system was made a couple of years ago, and since then I have tweaked it somewhat and have improved the performance.

Paul

rickztahone
07-20-2015, 12:08 PM
Rick,

Purigen is a miracle product, especially for discus. It will polish water for sure, but this is just the beginning. See this link for what Purigen can do when integrated with other elements of the filtration system:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?108835-Getting-the-WOW-Affect-with-Allot-Less-Work-Part-3-Water-Filtration-System

Purigen absorbs dissolved organic compounds (DOCs). DOCs come from two sources, uneaten fish food and feces. The main reason (but not the only reason) for making large water changes is to reduce DOCs. The use of Purigen will produce a cleaner, healthier environment for the fish.

When integrated with what I call the "total filtration system" it will eliminate algae, slime, and automatically remove feces from the tank. This GREATLY reduces tank maintenance while keeping the tank looking in pristine condition as if it has just been cleaned. What I claim here is no exaggeration, and I would be hesitant believe it myself unless I saw it with my own eyes, but I assure you that it really is true.

However there are limitations as to when this filtration system should be used. For example, since it will reduce nitrate to zero, it probably would not be suited for use in a planted tank. Also, since it requires a large amount of water circulation, it might not be suited for keeping very young fish. Also, if one is breeding fish for a business, the cost of Purigen and other parts of the filtration system might make it prohibited. I am sure that there are other considerations as well.

The total filtration system is not easy or cheap to implement, but it sure makes keeping discus a pleasure. In my case, I use the system for a non-planted show tank with adult discus. The result is really quite stunning to always have a pristine clean show tank, and yet spend very little time for tank maintenance.

I am presently working on putting together an update to the total filtration system for SD, and will present it in a couple of months. My last post on the system was made a couple of years ago, and since then I have tweaked it somewhat and have improved the performance.

Paul

Cool Paul. The only issue I see with what you say is in bold above. As far as I am concerned, there is nothing that specifically removes feces from the tank floor. This is a manual operation, unless you have some kind of circulation pump that funnels the feces to one section and then gets eliminated somehow.

afriend
07-20-2015, 02:42 PM
Cool Paul. The only issue I see with what you say is in bold above. As far as I am concerned, there is nothing that specifically removes feces from the tank floor. This is a manual operation, unless you have some kind of circulation pump that funnels the feces to one section and then gets eliminated somehow.

Here's an explanation as to what happened (regarding the automatic removal of feces from the tank) and what my theory is as to why this occurs. Please understand that I am a novice when it comes to chemistry, so take my words accordingly.

A few years ago, I put in place all of the elements of "the total filtration system" except for the Purigen reactor. These elements included lots of water circulation, a large pleated external mechanical filter, low TDS (80 ppm), and a daily water exchange of 30%. My tank maintenance at that time consisted of daily removal of feces using a syphon. Then I put the Purigen reactor on line, and to my amazement, the feces started to disappear the following day (it takes about an hour for the feces to disappear). Close observation of the feces revealed that it would shrink in size until it disappeared. Then I took the Purigen reactor off line, and the feces began to accumulate again. After turning the reactor on again, the feces again began to disappear.

Here's how I think this happens. Purigen absorbs organic compounds, and when this happens the organic compounds in the water column are reduced to near zero. The feces consists of alot of different kinds of materials, a part of which are organic compounds. The organic compounds in the feces act as a binder that holds all these materials together. Since the water column contains very few organic compounds, they are easily dissolved out of the feces (helped along with a low TDS in the water) and this results in the feces disintegrating (falling apart). The dissolved organic compounds are then carried to the Purigen reactor where they are absorbed. The other dissolved material is flushed out of the tank by the water exchanges. The feces is also made up of heavy solids and suspended solids. The heavy solids remain at the bottom of the tank and make up a very small part of the feces. The suspended solids are trapped in the pleated mechanical filter, thus resulting in a large increase in material in the filter.

Anyhow, this is my theory and I am open to suggestions for other explanations. What do you think about this?

Paul

rickztahone
07-20-2015, 03:18 PM
Here's an explanation as to what happened (regarding the automatic removal of feces from the tank) and what my theory is as to why this occurs. Please understand that I am a novice when it comes to chemistry, so take my words accordingly.

A few years ago, I put in place all of the elements of "the total filtration system" except for the Purigen reactor. These elements included lots of water circulation, a large pleated external mechanical filter, low TDS (80 ppm), and a daily water exchange of 30%. My tank maintenance at that time consisted of daily removal of feces using a syphon. Then I put the Purigen reactor on line, and to my amazement, the feces started to disappear the following day (it takes about an hour for the feces to disappear). Close observation of the feces revealed that it would shrink in size until it disappeared. Then I took the Purigen reactor off line, and the feces began to accumulate again. After turning the reactor on again, the feces again began to disappear.

Here's how I think this happens. Purigen absorbs organic compounds, and when this happens the organic compounds in the water column are reduced to near zero. The feces consists of alot of different kinds of materials, a part of which are organic compounds. The organic compounds in the feces act as a binder that holds all these materials together. Since the water column contains very few organic compounds, they are easily dissolved out of the feces (helped along with a low TDS in the water) and this results in the feces disintegrating (falling apart). The dissolved organic compounds are then carried to the Purigen reactor where they are absorbed. The other dissolved material is flushed out of the tank by the water exchanges. The feces is also made up of heavy solids and suspended solids. The heavy solids remain at the bottom of the tank and make up a very small part of the feces. The suspended solids are trapped in the pleated mechanical filter, thus resulting in a large increase in material in the filter.

Anyhow, this is my theory and I am open to suggestions for other explanations. What do you think about this?

Paul

to be quite honest, this is beyond my knowledge. I have never researched a purigen reactor, but if it does what you say it does, then it may be worth looking in to. However, you must admit, than even though you can't see the feces, if it breaks down, that is still in your system. It may be in the reactor/filter/somewhere else, but it is still part of your system. Have you checked all parameters during this process? Do your nitrates increase as you go further and further in to the week? If so, by how much? And comparitively?

afriend
07-20-2015, 04:05 PM
to be quite honest, this is beyond my knowledge. I have never researched a purigen reactor, but if it does what you say it does, then it may be worth looking in to. However, you must admit, than even though you can't see the feces, if it breaks down, that is still in your system. It may be in the reactor/filter/somewhere else, but it is still part of your system. Have you checked all parameters during this process? Do your nitrates increase as you go further and further in to the week? If so, by how much? And comparitively?

The nitrates remain zero for at least a month, although I did notice that the feces takes a little longer to break up (perhaps half an hour longer towards the end of the month). This will depend on how much Purigen is in the reactor and the amount of feces. Presently I have 10 adult discus in a 100 g tank and the Purigen reactor holds 250 ml.

As to what happens to the feces material, as I stated, the dissolved organic compounds are absorbed by the Purigen, and the suspended solids are trapped in the external mechanical filter. This material is safely removed from the system when the filters are serviced. As for the dissolved material, it is flushed out by the water exchange. The only other consideration is the heavy solids that remain at the bottom of the tank (this is only a small fraction of the total feces, perhaps 3% or less. Perhaps these could present a problem, but after using the system for over two years and the fact that the fish are quite healthy, I rather suspect that the system really does a good job of keeping the environment safe for the fish.

Paul

rickztahone
07-20-2015, 04:45 PM
The nitrates remain zero for at least a month, although I did notice that the feces takes a little longer to break up (perhaps half an hour longer towards the end of the month). This will depend on how much Purigen is in the reactor and the amount of feces. Presently I have 10 adult discus in a 100 g tank and the Purigen reactor holds 250 ml.

As to what happens to the feces material, as I stated, the dissolved organic compounds are absorbed by the Purigen, and the suspended solids are trapped in the external mechanical filter. This material is safely removed from the system when the filters are serviced. As for the dissolved material, it is flushed out by the water exchange. The only other consideration is the heavy solids that remain at the bottom of the tank (this is only a small fraction of the total feces, perhaps 3% or less. Perhaps these could present a problem, but after using the system for over two years and the fact that the fish are quite healthy, I rather suspect that the system really does a good job of keeping the environment safe for the fish.

Paul

You may be right Paul. Good food for thought. TFS