PDA

View Full Version : What is this called?

romien
07-23-2015, 03:03 PM
Can anyone tell me what this is called and how to treat it if it is known. This photo is not my fish, but my male started showing signs of it yesterday.

warblad79
07-23-2015, 03:22 PM
Fungal infection

Keith Perkins
07-23-2015, 07:25 PM
Step one, greatly increase WCs.

warblad79
07-23-2015, 07:33 PM
Step one, greatly increase WCs.

100% agree, Tank probably full of bacteria that's and that's what happen if don't do enough WC. That's the sign if your are slacking.

Keith Perkins
07-23-2015, 07:50 PM
I had one fish in a community tank that would always develop a spot or two when I was being slack with that tank. A massive WC always quickly took care of the problem. Your getting a gentle warning sign, no cheaper and better time to listen to your fish.

romien
07-27-2015, 09:25 AM
I had one fish in a community tank that would always develop a spot or two when I was being slack with that tank. A massive WC always quickly took care of the problem. Your getting a gentle warning sign, no cheaper and better time to listen to your fish.

That is interesting. I asked Richard (the guy from Canadian Aquatics) what he thought it might be and he said that he has seen it before and that it is a type of fish acne. Which makes sense if the water is not real good. It would be like an adolescent not washing his face everyday and wonders why he has pimples.
Did a 50% water change and there is no change though. There are only 3 spots and they are not spreading, the just fall off and come back again.
I have had fish for 17 years (salt, fresh, brackish and pond) and I have never seen anything like this.

Thanks for the reply :o

jmf3460
07-27-2015, 09:35 AM
if its just one then your fish just has a pimple, its a sign your water changes are not up to par. if its a million like you picture then it has likely become an infection and needs treatment. if your fish has one or two pimples on their body then up your water changes and do nothing further. if it happens a lot, then you need to rethink your water change regimen permanently

Keith Perkins
07-27-2015, 09:38 AM
50% WC doesn't meet my definition of massive, more like 90%. I'd repeat that every other day. My experience says after the second or third WC the spots will be gone.

Skip
07-27-2015, 10:15 AM
yep.. that is sign of poor water quality from lack of water changes..

just increase to daily LARGE % for at least a week.. or until gone..

spoken from experience with this.. mine only had 1 spot..

jmf3460
07-27-2015, 10:30 AM
one or two of mine will get one if I go out of town or miss a day of water changes for some reason. Usually its after 2 days that I see one. I can skip one day and they are fine but if I skip 2 days for some reason (like vacation or sick or drought like we are in now) I see them

romien
07-27-2015, 01:34 PM
50% WC doesn't meet my definition of massive, more like 90%. I'd repeat that every other day. My experience says after the second or third WC the spots will be gone.

Ok, I will do another WC tomorrow. I can't do a 90%, it would leave my fish on their sides. It takes me forever to do a WC because I do have some health issues, but I will prevail!!
I have been doing monthly changes, so I guess I will have to go weekly then. My other two discus are perfectly fine.

jmf3460
07-27-2015, 01:46 PM
I have been doing monthly changes, so I guess I will have to go weekly then.

you kid right?

romien
07-27-2015, 02:00 PM
No, I am not kidding. I have had these discus for over a year and bought them when they were the size of a silver dollar. They are the size of salad plate now and the only problem with my water is elevated nitrates. My tank is planted too. Never had a problem with them until last week. When I first got them, I did wc every week then my schedule of life changed and I slacked off a little and ended up doing monthly changes. I have one day off every week, so please don't point the finger of shame at me. I just asked a simple question and a remedy. I got that and intend to fix it. Thanks.................

strawberryblonde
07-27-2015, 02:01 PM
Hi Robyn,

What do you use for your water changes? Since you mentioned health issues, I'm thinking that maybe you're using buckets to empty and fill the tank?

Can you also tell us what size the tank is and how many discus you have in it? How long have you owned them?

I'm betting that we can put our heads together and find easier or more efficient ways for you to do water changes so that your discus stay healthy.

romien
07-27-2015, 02:11 PM
[QUOTE=strawberryblonde;1166584]Hi Robyn,

What do you use for your water changes? Since you mentioned health issues, I'm thinking that maybe you're using buckets to empty and fill the tank?

Can you also tell us what size the tank is and how many discus you have in it? How long have you owned them?

I appreciate you trying to help, but like I said, I have had fish ( all kinds) for 17 years. I have to use buckets as I don't have a faucet to hook up a python, other than the outside spicket. I use that to fill up a huge container. My tank is a custom 90 gal breeder so I don't have to reach to high to get over the edge. It takes me 4 hours to do a WC once a month. If I do it weekly, then it probably wouldn't take me as long, but since I only have one day off and a family to take care of, my time is quite limited. I only have 3 discus. 2 male and 1 female. Had them well over a year. The tank is peaceful and the two males share the female and will take turns with the spawning. I never seen anything like it really. No other health issues and I do test my water weekly.

rickztahone
07-27-2015, 02:31 PM

I appreciate you trying to help, but like I said, I have had fish ( all kinds) for 17 years. I have to use buckets as I don't have a faucet to hook up a python, other than the outside spicket. I use that to fill up a huge container. My tank is a custom 90 gal breeder so I don't have to reach to high to get over the edge. It takes me 4 hours to do a WC once a month. If I do it weekly, then it probably wouldn't take me as long, but since I only have one day off and a family to take care of, my time is quite limited. I only have 3 discus. 2 male and 1 female. Had them well over a year. The tank is peaceful and the two males share the female and will take turns with the spawning. I never seen anything like it really. No other health issues and I do test my water weekly.

and what are the readings of your tests?

strawberryblonde
07-27-2015, 02:43 PM
If you have to bring water into the house, then you could set up a large container (50 gallon trash bin would work well), add a heater, air stone and submersible pump. At each water change all you'd need to do is empty the tank using a python (i like to run mine out to the garden - takes no more than 30 minute tops for 50 gallons). Once that's done, simple refill the tank with the nicely warmed water in the trash bin - and that won't take more than 10 minutes if you have a 600gph pump and 3/4" tubing.

Bill63SG
07-27-2015, 07:52 PM
Also putting your fish on their sides wont hurt them.I have all my heaters on the floor of my tanks because I routinely take the water down that low.

Kyla
08-08-2015, 12:59 AM
did the spots resolve with water changes?

also, where were the spots? a similar white growth can appear as the first stage of hole in the head disease, often on the face of the fish or along the lateral line. when the white growth dissipates it leaves behind a crator in the flesh of the fish. these holes can grow and expand into awful gaping sores. while HITH etiology is still debated, it is often linked to prolonged exposure to high nitrates.

MadMatt
08-09-2015, 04:24 PM
Buckets are a terrible invention for fish keepers!!!...lol
I have a 120g, I use to do buckets and if was a nightmare, I hated it and took too long, I would slack on my water changes, so me and my wife plumbed a feed to the tank and siphon, it takes about 20mins to change the water and I can change 60% during that time, I do it everyday now, I do miss a few days here and there but I Amy miss 4-5 days out of the month but other wise it's everyday!
Also I installed a 3 stage filter and a two stage filter for my entire house, the water quality difference is night and day now!
And my fish are happier and more active then ever before.
Some time ago I posted some needed feed back about some issues I was having, many senior members basically told me to stop over playing with medications and just change the water, so that's what I did, I changed 75% twice daily on a few tanks that has discus were inactive and 75% 3x daily on a tank with discus I felt were getting ill (inactive and low appetite), it's like a miracle Happened, I couldn't believe it and from that time on I became a water change believer!
So listen to what these guys are saying, you need to change your water daily, and 50% we daily at that!
You won't believe how suppressed your fish are if there in old fish water, until you see the difference.

Wanny
08-11-2015, 08:10 PM
Indeed, in the beginning, I also did the bucket, or one gallon at a time milk jug! OMG, my back! That lasted a month, then changed to the 30 gallon trash can, what a difference! Just like Strawberryblonde suggests, takes about twenty minutes so very easy, wish I thought of it from the start!

brewmaster15
08-12-2015, 10:43 AM
Can anyone tell me what this is called and how to treat it if it is known. This photo is not my fish, but my male started showing signs of it yesterday.

I somehow missed this thread:( Thats a pretty serious infection, most like systemic... and I would guess very contagious... Robyn I would love an update and more information on this fish.? Is it still alive? has it recovered?

al

Rudustin
08-12-2015, 01:38 PM
I'm curious to hear about this poor discus as well? Rufus

timvriens
08-12-2015, 02:08 PM
Let us hope that the fish is safe and sound