PDA

View Full Version : How To Duct Tape a 5 gallon Bucket

DISCUS STU
07-28-2015, 10:14 AM
Now that I have your attention. It's not for the bucket itself, but for those small plastic dowel like handles that uncomfortably dig into your hands when your handling the 40+ lbs. of water that comprise a full 5 gallon bucket.

The idea is to wrap a generous amount of duct tape around these handles until it takes on a spongy quality. This makes the handling and holding of the heavy, unwieldy bucket much easier and more comfortable. This is a simple fix that requires less than a minute, and some duct tape, and also works well for broken or missing handles so you don't have to throw away a perfectly good bucket.

pitdogg2
07-28-2015, 12:48 PM
YOU GOT IT ALL WRONG... Take off that crap of an excuse of a handle and I put on tubing like I use for say a magnum filter and NEVER LOOKED BACK it will outlast the bucket itself. I make mine say 8" long and it stays put where it should. It is spongy soft and most important will never get sticky from say 100* day like duct tape.

DonMD
07-28-2015, 01:48 PM
In the past I have used a short piece of 3/4 inch conduit, just detached the wire from the side of the bucket (easier said than done), pulled off the plastic and put on the conduit, and had a MUCH better handle. I used the bucket to carry heavy tools when I was working as a sheet metal worker. 1-inch conduit would even be better. But I'm always in favor of duct tape! LOL.

brewmaster15
07-28-2015, 02:29 PM
YOU GOT IT ALL WRONG... Take off that crap of an excuse of a handle and I put on tubing like I use for say a magnum filter and NEVER LOOKED BACK it will outlast the bucket itself. I make mine say 8" long and it stays put where it should. It is spongy soft and most important will never get sticky from say 100* day like duct tape.

I'm a pack rat.....I save everything including those old garden hoses... Cut up for various projects, they are great for this as well.:)

al

rickztahone
07-28-2015, 08:29 PM
Lets actually take one step further and get to OP to do something better than the bucket brigade! Have you considered getting a 55g barrel to store water and using a pump to do water changes?

pitdogg2
07-29-2015, 08:47 AM
Lets actually take one step further and get to OP to do something better than the bucket brigade! Have you considered getting a 55g barrel to store water and using a pump to do water changes?

well like me in the winter I must get water to that barrel you speak of so.......many trip with buckets.......tried to run water lines to my room but the stare I got from the wife ...well said not happening:)

DISCUS STU
07-29-2015, 11:23 AM

I like this, it works, and is EASY to do. Good to get the conversation going though.

DISCUS STU
07-29-2015, 04:27 PM

Alas and alack, I live in an apartment and while this would be nice, I have no room for it.

Besides, lugging 40 pounds of water around helps keep me in shape (lol).

DonMD
07-29-2015, 05:51 PM

God, am I glad those days are over for me! LOL.

rickztahone
07-29-2015, 07:01 PM
Alas and alack, I live in an apartment and while this would be nice, I have no room for it.

You are a "water half full" kind of guy aren't you? :). When I threw out my back, I realized that lugging buckets was not an option any more.

DISCUS STU
07-30-2015, 10:05 AM
You are a "water half full" kind of guy aren't you? :). When I threw out my back, I realized that lugging buckets was not an option any more.

If I had a choice I wouldn't be lugging around buckets of heavy, sloshy water. Pain in the a**.

Gratefully it's usually only for the RO water, the big primary water changes are done with a w/a Python System and Prime, though directly from the tap. I just don't have the room to store large volumes of water in an apartment.

Woodduck
07-30-2015, 01:44 PM

pitdogg2 - YOU GOT IT ALL WRONG... Joke! Alt 248 is your degree sign °°°°°. I use a sponge wrapped with duct tape for my poop removal buckets, but all my water change stuff are water pumps Separate ones for different tanks, of course. Just messin' with ya Ivan.

Woodduck