PDA

View Full Version : Metronidazole and praziquantel from Angels Plus

Dudley Eirich
07-31-2015, 11:23 AM
I recently bought metronidazole and praziquantel from Angels Plus. I don't have any sick fish, but wanted to have some for my medicine cabinet. The directions on the praziquantel container says to dose at 1/4 tsp per 25 gal. The directions on the metronidazole container says to dose at 1/4 tsp per 40 gal. Since most dosing directions on this forum indicate a certain amount (in mg) to add to a certain volume of water, I contacted Angels Plus to find out the weight of the medications in 1/4 tsp. Unfortunately they were not able to tell me and suggested that I weigh out 1/4 tsp. or to search the internet. 1) I don't have a scale that will measure that small amount accurately. 2) I had searched the internet and this forum prior to requesting the information and have been able to find nothing. Does anyone out there know the weight of each medication (obtained from Angels Plus) in 1/4 tsp? Thanks!

strawberryblonde
07-31-2015, 12:09 PM
I don't know the weight, but I do use ARG brand Metro and I can tell you that using the recommended dose works perfectly. I actually overdose a wee bit and use a level teaspoon for my 120 - simply because some of it precipitates out when I pre-mix and add it to my tank. I'm always left with a fine dusting of undisolved powder in the bottom of my mixing jar. =)

Maybe someone else here has the weight conversion for you.

Dudley Eirich
07-31-2015, 01:04 PM
Thanks Toni!. The rep at Angels Plus wrote that I could actually double the recommended dosage without harm. I guess that, being a scientist, I would like to have a reasonably good idea of the dosage on a wt/vol basis. Probably the science nerd in me is coming out.

alron2
07-31-2015, 02:07 PM
I believe one teaspoon of metro equals about 3.6 grams.

Ron

strawberryblonde
07-31-2015, 02:07 PM
Give me an hour to get my husband out of my kitchen and I'll go weigh some for you. =)

Dudley Eirich
07-31-2015, 05:20 PM
Ron,
So that would be about 225 mg/10 gal. That is about what I expected.
Toni,
If you get a chance to actually weigh some, confirmation would be appreciated. Thanks to both of you.
Dudley

strawberryblonde
07-31-2015, 06:24 PM
Hi Dudley,

I weighed my ARG metro and it comes out to 0.774 grams per 1/4 tsp. If my math is correct that's 774mg per 1/4 tsp. It weighed 3.09 grams for 1 teaspoon. According to the directions on the bottle that seems about right too. (bottle says to dose 18.9mg per gallon)

Hope that helps! =)

Woodduck
07-31-2015, 08:08 PM
Hi Dudley,

I weighed my ARG metro and it comes out to 0.774 grams per 1/4 tsp. If my math is correct that's 774mg per 1/4 tsp. It weighed 3.09 grams for 1 teaspoon. According to the directions on the bottle that seems about right too. (bottle says to dose 18.9mg per gallon)

Hope that helps! =)

I thank you also. Good to know.

Dudley Eirich
08-02-2015, 12:19 PM
Thank you Toni. Great information. So averaging the information from both Ron and you, there is probably about about 200 mg per 1/4 tsp. It will likely vary somewhat from one producer to another. The density of a powder depends a lot on how the chemical is produced and how fine the powder is in the bottle.

rickztahone
08-02-2015, 06:18 PM
I've also used their products in the past and wouldn't hesitate to recommend their product, so long as your discus is eating, which many times, the main indicator for sickness is lack of appetite.

DISCUS STU
08-19-2015, 03:50 PM
I had the same question for Angels PLUS vis a vi Kanamycin Sulfate and he had the same answer.

1/4 teaspoon compacted can be a very different measure, and weight, than less compacted. When dosing powder I think weight is really the only way to go. In the future I think I will seek out a source that can indicate dosing by weight, not volume.