PDA

View Full Version : anyone had any experience with flubenzadole causing headstanding ?

littlebobecki
08-18-2015, 02:10 PM
does anyone have any experience with flubenzadole wormer casing headstanding?

MKD
08-18-2015, 03:04 PM
Have you seen this thread?
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?30488-Flubendazole-side-effect

I haven't tried it but i have used levamisole.

littlebobecki
08-18-2015, 04:23 PM
sorry for late reply...

littlebobecki
08-18-2015, 04:29 PM
yeah I have seen the thread cheers for that thou....I am looking for others who have had this problem......I have just recently used flubenzadole and myxazin together (WAS TOLD THAT IT WAS SAFE TO DO)....within three hrs 6 of my fish were headstanding and had lost all control of their bodies....bumping into the glass....I realised that they had had a reaction to the meds and did a 20% water change and stuck carbon in the filter...I stayed up all night watching them....by 5am they all 6 were dead...it was devastating. I am convinced that the medication killed them.

rickztahone
08-18-2015, 04:31 PM
yeah I have seen the thread cheers for that thou....I am looking for others who have had this problem......I have just recently used flubenzadole and myxazin together (WAS TOLD THAT IT WAS SAFE TO DO)....within three hrs 6 of my fish were headstanding and had lost all control of their bodies....bumping into the glass....I realised that they had had a reaction to the meds and did a 20% water change and stuck carbon in the filter...I stayed up all night watching them....by 5am they all 6 were dead...it was devastating. I am convinced that the medication killed them.

I think that is a reasonable assessment considering the timing. To be honest, I do not know if the combination of these 2 is lethal, but it serves as a cautionary tale for others.

littlebobecki
08-18-2015, 04:49 PM
I am new to forums, so I dont know yet how to navigate my way round yet......after reading tht thread thou I realise that I am not the only one that this has happened to......the guy on the other thread was looking for other people who had had similar experiences, but I think it was an old thread, so I thought I would start a new one in the hope of finding other people who had had trouble with this medication....not only are discus bloomin expensive......but I really love mine....watching them die has been aan wful experience that I wouldnt wish on anyone else....there is no warning on the packet and it is sold as a "safe" drug. I intend to ring the company to disscuss it with them, although there is no way to prove it I guess. I am now really afraid to use any medication again. Before, I used sterazin and that ws fine...flubenzadole was recommened to me, so I thought that I would give it a go....wish I hadnt!
I am sure there will be lots of people who will think that maybe I didnt dose right...or my water quality might be at fault...but I can assure you that it was adminiestered as per instructions to a well maintained set up. I had been bought several discus for my birthday and the birthday fish brought with them a nasty bacterial skin thing, although they looked healthy at the time of purchase.....yes I knw...I should have quarantined.......hence the myxazin......I also know that fish under the stress of illness...their worms can suddenly multiply out of control...hence the flubenzadole..........curiously......the fish that died were the healthy ones,as yet unaffected by the bacterial skin thing. I took one of the fish to the fish vet who did histology....waiting for the results.....have been given metronidazole....feeling gutted!!!

littlebobecki
08-18-2015, 04:57 PM
Hi Ricardo!....yes I would not advise the use of this med combo....althou... professional companies are saying it's safe!!......dont know who to trust now.....I also know that plenty of people use it with no bother....apart from apparently the unlucky !!...my advise.....not worth the risk!!

rickztahone
08-18-2015, 05:14 PM
My honest recommendation to you is to go to our emergency room section when something like this happens:
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?34-Emergency-Room

In this section, you will get the advice of people who recommend meds that have been known to work and will tell you which meds NOT to mix. Hard lesson learned, but you can still move forward from this. It is always sad to lose a fish, ANY fish, but losing a group of them is tough.

littlebobecki
08-18-2015, 05:18 PM
thanks for the advise!!.....will try and find the correct bit to put my thread in lol!!

littlebobecki
08-18-2015, 05:26 PM
hi everyone!...i am looking for people who have used flubenzadole and had problems with it......I used it recently with myxazin apon proffesional recomendation and within three hrs 6 of my fish were headstanding and had lost all control of their bodies....bumping their heads on the glass....I realised that they were having a reaction to the meds and did a 20% water change and stuck carbon in the filter....stayed up all night to watch them...by 5am all six were dead! I am convinced that the meds killed them.

littlebobecki
08-18-2015, 05:40 PM
forgot to say I am new here, so origionaly I put my post in the general discussion area....doh!......must go to bed but will check for replies in the morning!

rickztahone
08-18-2015, 06:27 PM
I merged your threads as you have a better chance at discussing the subject in one area. Additionally, I moved the thread over to our "Medicine cabinet and disease info" section rather than Emergency since the Emergency section is one that not everyone can respond to.

littlebobecki
08-19-2015, 07:22 AM
hallo!...has anyone had any experience with using flubenzadole making their discus headstand and lose control of their bodies?

jmf3460
08-19-2015, 08:25 AM
I have used flubenzadole with no ill effects, not with discus but I once had a really weird outbreak of hydra, in a freshwater community tank with rainbows, tetras, hatchets, ottos etc. I had gotten some new plants and I think the hydra came with them. they were cool to watch for a while like freshwater anenomes but then they got out of control so I used flubenzadole and it wiped them out, along with my snails but my fish were fine through the whole thing.

Second Hand Pat
08-19-2015, 10:51 AM
Hi Rebecca, I merged your threads again. Please do not create another thread on the same topic.
Thanks,
Pat

MadMatt
08-19-2015, 11:19 AM
Anytime you have a reaction where your fish are stressed or ill, and its from something u put in the water I would suggest this:
90% water change immediately, then an hr later 80% wc. Continue to do 75% wc every two hrs for an additional 4-5 more water changes.
I have done this before on a pair I poisoned thru a bad caulking job, they all head standed in 2 hrs, I did above wc regiment. They made it.
I know it extreme but in a situation like this "too much" is better then "not enough".

littlebobecki
08-19-2015, 12:51 PM
sorry Pat...

strawberryblonde
08-19-2015, 01:17 PM
I take a different approach. I fill 5 gallon buckets with fresh treated water at the same temp as my tank, add an air stone and a heater then scoop my fish into the buckets. No more than 5 discus per bucket.

Once they are in the buckets I do 2 100% water changes on the tank using a pump to get it done quickly and then add carbon to the filter.

Refill the tank and add my fish back in. Done in less than an hour and for that hour my discus and other fish are in clean water, not tainted water.

littlebobecki
08-19-2015, 01:59 PM
thank you for your sugestion....if I ever have a situation like this again that is what I will do!