PDA

View Full Version : PH Question

Marka
08-19-2015, 06:45 PM
I just bought a pair of Discus the PH of the water they had been in was around 6.5 the PH of my water is around
7.5 will it be ok to place them in their new tank with PH difference ?

Phillydubs
08-19-2015, 06:57 PM
The ph of your water is out of the tap or after being aged ?

John_Nicholson
08-19-2015, 07:11 PM
Yes they will be fine. They normally take an increase without much issue. It is when it is decreasing that if can cause issues.

-john

MadMatt
08-19-2015, 07:53 PM
You always should acclimate your fish, but from a ph down to up of only 1.0 should be ok with a simple 15-20 acclimation.

Len
08-19-2015, 08:00 PM
You always should acclimate your fish, but from a ph down to up of only 1.0 should be ok with a simple 15-20 acclimation.

Not necessary at all. Just plop and drop.

rickztahone
08-19-2015, 08:50 PM
Not necessary at all. Just plop and drop.

that has been my method as well as many others on this site. Going up isn't much of a problem as John pointed out. Especially if you are getting discus in a shipping bag. You want to get them out of there as soon as possible. Simply float the bag for 15-20 to get the temp to match the tank and drop and plop.

John_Nicholson
08-19-2015, 09:53 PM
Sorry but this information is incorrect. It has also killed lots of discus. Often the water that they are shipped in is pretty nasty but since the ph is so low most of it is locked away and harmless to the fish. When you start adding new water and raising the ph you burn your fish.

-john

MadMatt
08-20-2015, 12:06 AM
Didn't think the water would be so poor in the bag.
But if it is Was, this is good to know.

Sorry but this information is incorrect. It has also killed lots of discus. Often the water that they are shipped in is pretty nasty but since the ph is so low most of it is locked away and harmless to the fish. When you start adding new water and raising the ph you burn your fish.

-john

Altum Nut
08-20-2015, 01:14 AM
I just bought a pair of Discus the PH of the water they had been in was around 6.5 the PH of my water is around
7.5 will it be ok to place them in their new tank with PH difference ?
Marka,
I agree with the others that it will be fine but if your still unsure you can view the attached video and go to 3:00 minutes in and it will answer your question. Shipped from Germany to USA and directly into tanks with no drip.
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?113483-A-day-in-the-life-of-a-Discus-Pimp

...Ralph

Second Hand Pat
08-20-2015, 08:40 AM
Didn't think the water would be so poor in the bag.
But if it is Was, this is good to know.

Matt, do you have any idea what happens to the water in a shipping bag with fish?
Pat

DISCUS STU
08-20-2015, 11:13 AM
PH up not a biggie, sudden ph down can cause problems.

navarro1950
09-02-2015, 05:34 AM
Does that mean you should check th ph in the bag to be safe ?

John_Nicholson
09-02-2015, 08:19 AM
Does that mean you should check th ph in the bag to be safe ?

I never have. The waste of a fish is acidic so logic states it will be lower in the bag unless your local water is really low in ph.

-john

MadMatt
09-02-2015, 11:46 AM
So John you recommend floating the bag for 10mins then just plop?
This is OK?

I never have. The waste of a fish is acidic so logic states it will be lower in the bag unless your local water is really low in ph.

-john

strawberryblonde
09-02-2015, 12:25 PM
So John you recommend floating the bag for 10mins then just plop?
This is OK?

I don't even float the bags so long as the heating pads in the shipping box are still warm. And with all of my discus purchases the heaters have worked perfectly. If you buy from a LFS, you might want to bring along some insulation to keep the bags warm on the way home. A small styrofoam cooler works well!

And then just lift them out of the bags and slide them into their new tank.

Larry Bugg
09-02-2015, 04:01 PM
I don't float the bag either. Get them out of the nasty water in the bag and into the tank as quickly as possible.

MadMatt
09-02-2015, 04:10 PM
I don't float the bag either. Get them out of the nasty water in the bag and into the tank as quickly as possible.

This is refreshing to read, we always floated the bag then in the tank, but if you guys think out asap of the bag is best the next purchase we do I will do as recommended.
The next time I purchase it will certainly be from a sponsor on here, after hearing all the horror stories I will never trust another LFS again...lol