PDA

View Full Version : Metro dose question

krislewis3
08-22-2015, 01:19 PM
How do you guys dise ARG Metro, to treat hex?

Second Hand Pat
08-22-2015, 02:07 PM
500 mg per 10 gallon Kris.
Pat

MendoMan
08-22-2015, 02:11 PM
This is the advise Kenny gave me and it worked for me : raise water to 92 degrees, 500 mg per 10 gals. of water, re-dose every 8 to 12 hours, 50% water change daily. Do this for 5 to 7 days. I wasn't using it for hex it was the white stringy pop caused by internal parasites.

krislewis3
08-23-2015, 07:23 AM
Yes...I also spoke to Kenny, and he gave me those same instructions, however, I have ARG metronidazole, and it doesn't give info. About mg. dosing. There dosing say 1 tsp. per 164 gl. How do I translate tsp. to mg., or, how do you guys dose using tsp. amounts with the ARG manufacturer? Exp. should I use double strength what ARG suggests? Kris

Second Hand Pat
08-23-2015, 07:58 AM
Kris, pickup a gram scale from your local walmart or target. Way more precise then a teaspoon. The ARG metronidazole is 100% metro right?
Pat

krislewis3
08-23-2015, 08:43 AM
im not sure of the strength. This ARG metro came from kens fish. The label sais 2-methyl-5-nitroimidazole-1-ethanol. The jar contains 100 grams. I'm not sure what that means. The directions are 1 tsp. to 160 gallons. Pat, can you translate?

Second Hand Pat
08-23-2015, 08:59 AM
Kris, if you read the "Treatment Procedures" part of the label you will see 1/4 of a teaspoon treats 41 gallons so 1/8 of a teaspoon should treat 20 gallons. I would still recommend buying a gram scale and use that to measure.
Pat

krislewis3
08-23-2015, 12:36 PM
Kris, if you read the "Treatment Procedures" part of the label you will see 1/4 of a teaspoon treats 41 gallons so 1/8 of a teaspoon should treat 20 gallons. I would still recommend buying a gram scale and use that to measure.
Pat

I do understand that Pat..however, I'm noticing that most people dose at a higher rate than the instructions say.....I'm wondering how I would figure that dose out in the mg. dose that Kenny gave me. (Many here have suggested doubling the dose on the ARG, however, I want to be sure I'm in the 500mg per 10 gl. range!

Second Hand Pat
08-23-2015, 12:49 PM
Kris, if you look back a couple posts you will see I suggested a gram scale. This is the best way to measure it.
Pat

krislewis3
08-23-2015, 01:04 PM
Kris, if you look back a couple posts you will see I suggested a gram scale. This is the best way to measure it.
Pat
Pat, at the end of that post, you asked if the consideration of the ARG metro, is 100% metro! That is what I DONT know, because the packaging DOSENT give that info. I don't think the scale will be of any use, unless I know the concentration of the drug. I was hoping that someone out there would have the same ARG metro, and could instruct me on weather or not I should go with the manufacturers instructions, and if not, could help me figure out the best dose!

Second Hand Pat
08-23-2015, 01:13 PM
Kris, I have the same container here and yes, it does not indicate whether it is pure or not. I have used it and assumed it was pure. Best to contact the maker and ask. Either way whether it is pure or not the best way to measure it would still be a gram scale. For example of the product was 50% metro and the rest was filler then you would measure a gram of the product to get 500mg of metro.
Pat

strawberryblonde
08-23-2015, 01:39 PM
Hi guys,

I've researched the ARG brand because that's what I use and yes, it's 100% metro. No fillers or anti clumping ingredients (and it does get clumpy if you expose it to moisture or humidity so be careful where you open it!).

I have the option of using a gram scale, but have always found the measuring method on the label to work quite well. I use a very slightly rounded 1/8th teaspoon for a 20 gallon tank and dose twice a day at 12 hour intervals.

If you want to be even more precise, definitely go with the gram scale. I have to use it for my 115g, because of the odd volume of the tank.

krislewis3
08-24-2015, 07:05 AM
Thank you so much guys!

DISCUS STU
08-24-2015, 07:35 AM
It's also good to add to beef heart at 1 gram per 4 oz. which is a more direct, and I'm told, more effective way to treat. When I'm treating I do both.

LizStreithorst
08-24-2015, 05:04 PM
I use the same ARG stuff but I bought mine from the wonderful people at Jemhco. The label gives treatment levels of 250 mg per 10. I prefer to treat at 400 per 10. Numbers make my head swim to I called Jhemco and asked them to do the math for me an convert it in to teaspoons. The folks there are wonderful. They said that they'd call me back with the info and they did. They did all that measuring and weighing and converting so spoonsful for me. I love them.

If you want to treat at 500 mg double the dose on the jar. If you want 400 mg per 10 which works well, use 1/2 teaspoon per 40.

DISCUS STU
08-24-2015, 05:44 PM
Pat

Dosing by weight is the most accurate way to treat. Dosing by volume isn't and may be extremely variable as loosely compacted compared to tightly compacted could probably change the dose up or down tremendously resulting in either under or over dosing. Gram scales are relatively inexpensive, easy to use, and a good investment.

LizStreithorst
08-24-2015, 06:18 PM
True, but Metro is so safe. It's why people treat at double the label dose and the fish have no problems. Lots of meds are like that. You just need to know which ones. Panacure can be double dosed. Strogid can be over dosed. Metro can be over dosed. When it comes to most antibiotics and wormers you need to follow the label or you will suffer consequences.

DISCUS STU
08-24-2015, 07:35 PM
Yes, it's true with Metro and many others but it's always better to know what you're dosing instead of just "hoping for the best". A scale is a basic investment like a heater or a test kit. If I want to double dose or bring a dose up, over dosing always implies a problem, i'd like to know that I'm doing this deliberately and hopefully not by accident if I can help it.

Dosing by volume can also yield wildly different doses on any given day during the course of a single treatment.

LizStreithorst
08-24-2015, 07:51 PM
I can't deny that you're right. It's just that sometimes, especially when you're treating multiple tanks. spoonfuls is easier and faster. The OP was talking about metro, remember.

I wormed with levamasol yesterday. I always treat all my tanks because I move fish around and all tanks use the same nets and WC equipment. I used the scale. It was time consuming and a PITA but with levamasol there isn't a big margin for error.

DISCUS STU
08-25-2015, 07:30 AM
I use a simple DigiWeigh scale which barely requires much more time than weighing by measure. Scale on, "Tare", weigh.

Yes slightly more effort, but knowing is always better than guessing.

krislewis3
08-25-2015, 05:42 PM
Liz...thanks to you, and all of the others for the helpful tips and advice. I'll be shopping with Jhemco for my next medication need. .....😀

rickztahone
08-25-2015, 11:04 PM
Liz...thanks to you, and all of the others for the helpful tips and advice. I'll be shopping with Jhemco for my next medication need. .....��

Yeah, I have never had one problem with Jhemco. Just remember, the first order I believe you have to sign and send back a form.

LizStreithorst
08-26-2015, 12:01 AM
Yeah, I did that the first time I ordered meds from them. It's not a big deal. If I remember correctly they mostly want you to tell them that you are using the meds you buy from them for ornamental fish only.

rickztahone
08-26-2015, 01:30 AM
Yeah, I did that the first time I ordered meds from them. It's not a big deal. If I remember correctly they mostly want you to tell them that you are using the meds you buy from them for ornamental fish only.

yup

krislewis3
08-26-2015, 04:21 AM
Will do....

DISCUS STU
08-26-2015, 10:14 AM

A lot of the preppers, survivalists, get their meds. from fish and animal sellers.