PDA

View Full Version : Best books for Discus hobbyists

Spike Cover
08-25-2015, 05:20 AM
I have some discus books but am wondering what books the old timers recommend as best for hobbyists. I'm looking for recommendations for everything from beginners to advanced, including discus in planted tanks.
I'm particularly interested in:
Food
Water parameters - RO system?
CO2 usage - planted tanks
Frequency of water changes
Sources for buying discus
Filtration
Lighting
You get the idea.
If anyone has sources not in books, I'd appreciate those references too.

Thanks in advance,
Spike

DISCUS STU
08-25-2015, 10:53 AM
Hey Spike,

I have many of the old books from Wattley, Schmidt-Focke, Degen, etc. most of them were from the 90's and while some were beautifully printed, most of what they discussed was about the history of Discus, up to that point in the 90's, various strains, and some information about keeping Discus.

Much of the information is outdated compared to the information available today on the internet and on this site. As an example, filters and filtration, much of this is very out dated in these books. Back then before the internet, these books, various magazine articles (when you found them in old musty piles in pet shops), and of course "Joe" at the pet shop/ fish store who may or may not have been full of malarky (lol). Most of the products for water treatment, brand name medications, et al, are completely out of date.

Yes, some internet sources may have issues relating to accuracy, veracity, fact checking, etc., but all the right info. is here to be found. BTW, they didn't always get it 100% right in the old books also.

Much better to use this site and other reputable internet resources. I still have my old books and the various articles I've compiled from TFH, FAMA, etc. but it's much easier and better to get the skinny about keeping Discus today then it was then. So sorry, I don't think I'd be helping you if I recommended them.

Good luck! It's a great hobby and much easier to do it right today, with the right info., then it was then.

Spike Cover
08-25-2015, 02:36 PM
Discus Stu,

Thanks. I really appreciate the feedback.

However, there must be things that don't change all that much and I'm thinking we should be able to learn from the old timers, e.g., I read a review of the book "Back to Nature Guide to Discus" by Dick Au that says the many of the things he's identified are timeless but admits that food and filtration have changed. I know people who sell books always say "this book is great" - that's expected. I was just hoping to get some non-book-seller advice on ones that do have that timeless info. It makes sense that the internet would have the most up to date info and, when it comes to things like the latest food, I would certainly go to the net for that.

Thanks again but also, are there any books with still-good info?

Spike

DISCUS STU
08-25-2015, 03:55 PM
I wish I could think of any, I have a great number of the older ones. The Bernd Degen books are good, many others are out of print, but again these are older books. As an example of what was considered highly relevant back then but just doesn't hold true now. Almost all those books advocated painstakingly keeping Discus at ph's between the higher 5.0's to lower 6.0' (about 5.8-6.2) and lower water hardness, softer water. If you look at posts on this site you'll generally find that many experienced keepers suggest the opposite of that in most instances for various reasons.

That having been said, there many more recently published books that may be helpful, check out Amazon and read their reviews. I wouldn't bother with anything more than 5 years old. Some of this info. gets dated very quickly.

Some other people on this site may have more and a better idea of a good, more recently published book(s). Good luck!

Spike Cover
08-25-2015, 04:08 PM
Thx... Spike

Jack L
11-06-2015, 11:48 PM
look up Wild Caught Discus by Degen, its about 20 years old, the photos in it are VERY nice.
the history is history...

ecology of planted aquarium is interesting too.

its the internet, you can find every and any answer you want.

but like Stu said, this site is good current source, this is the site i trust the most.

pastry
11-07-2015, 08:14 AM
look up Wild Caught Discus by Degen, its about 20 years old, the photos in it are VERY nice.
the history is history...

ecology of planted aquarium is interesting too.

its the internet, you can find every and any answer you want.

but like Stu said, this site is good current source, this is the site i trust the most.

That was my favorite (Degen's "Wild Caught..."). If anything, great photography. Also, look up history on Axelrodi and Schmidt-Focke. Axelrod actually has a crazy all around life...let's just say he might've been a little too involved with instruments... Particularly violins... ;)

Akili
11-07-2015, 09:12 AM
I like these three. 1,Discus Fish "The King of all Aquarium Fish" by Eberhard Schulze.2,Discus as a Hobby by Jim E Quarles. 3, Discus Fish (Complete Pet Owner's Manual) Publisher Thomas Giovanetti

Spike Cover
11-07-2015, 07:38 PM
Thanks folks. I have some of these but will look into the others.

Spike

Jack L
11-07-2015, 11:26 PM
I like these three. 1,Discus Fish "The King of all Aquarium Fish" by Eberhard Schulze.2,Discus as a Hobby by Jim E Quarles. 3, Discus Fish (Complete Pet Owner's Manual) Publisher Thomas Giovanetti

+1 on
Discus Fish (Complete Pet Owner's Manual) Publisher Thomas Giovanetti

Pretty good all around reference. And is in line with what the experts say here, even instructions if making beef heart

Second Hand Pat
11-08-2015, 08:51 AM
You might consider looking into Andrew Soh's books.
Pat

Spike Cover
11-08-2015, 05:18 PM
You might consider looking into Andrew Soh's books.
Pat

I looked on the www and found his books are out of print and those with copies available are wanting an arm and a leg. Anyone have a source that's reasonable?

Spike

rickztahone
11-09-2015, 07:14 PM
I looked on the www and found his books are out of print and those with copies available are wanting an arm and a leg. Anyone have a source that's reasonable?

Spike

I have found the same a few years ago. I sold a copy of his last book and sold it for less than cover price at the time. You can no longer get them that cheap. I really should never had sold that book, it was personized by Andew Soh to me, lol. Live and learn. If I come across any I will let you know.

DISCUS STU
11-09-2015, 10:40 PM

I bought these books years ago and enjoyed them but don't know how completely relevant all of the info. is. One thing on the plus for the books, they are often nicely printed, I'm from the printing industry, and have very nice pictures in them. The old books certainly don't have pictures of many of the current strains.

Samantha
08-20-2016, 11:55 AM
In terms of recent literature Heiko Bleher released a new discus book in 2015, but its selling for around $90 USD so i haven't gotten to read it yet.