PDA

View Full Version : help identify please

mrtwinkles
08-31-2015, 10:37 PM
very new to discus and i'd like to know what kind i was given (a friend could no longer care for them)8958889589 please also tell me if he looks to be in good health

Altum Nut
08-31-2015, 11:18 PM
Welcome to Simply Discus mrtwinkles
Being that it still appears to be young and not fully colored but if I had to guess it resembles a cross between a Tefe / Blue Turquoise? It does appear healthy and is what 3+ inches TL (including tail).
I only see one or is it pics of each Discus?
Tell us a little about your set-up and how you prepared to receive these fish.
I would recommend that Discus are schooling fish and will do better in a group of 6 to 8 unless these two were adults and a breeding pair.
The ball is in your court my friend...give us more details and don't hesitate to ask questions about any issues you may have.

...Ralph

mrtwinkles
08-31-2015, 11:33 PM
these are pics of the same discus, i have a school of 6 tho all from the same parents, this one is around the biggest.

i have them in a large 200 gallon container 3/4 filled and bare bottom at the moment with some cycled media from my other setups, i've done 2 30% water changes since i got them about a week ago. I ordered a 75 gallon for them to grow out, hope i get it this week. Also can't seem to find proper water test kits at my lfs, i'm from the caribbean so i have to order from amazon and fly blind for now.

Lighthouse7
08-31-2015, 11:42 PM
Those discus look really nice, seem to have a lot of potential. Like to see some more pics - Lighthouse

mrtwinkles
09-01-2015, 12:25 AM
thank you i'll put up more pics when they are in their tank

alcastro
09-01-2015, 12:40 AM
Curipera x

DISCUS STU
09-01-2015, 10:55 AM
Welcome to the Forum. Hard to tell much without a larger picture but form what I can see this fish looks healthy, fins erect, relatively small eye to body ratio (not stunted) and to be some sort of Red Turquoise or Turquoise type.

Keeping it a bare bottom tank is the way to go. It would be nice to see a larger picture.

jmf3460
09-01-2015, 11:13 AM
im going to shy away from the potential of these being a curipera cross, simply because that is not something that people have laying around to give away. most people who have curipera crosses would never give them away. Not saying its not possible, but highly unlikely. im going to say its a cross bt a blue turq or a red turq that hasn't colored up yet. it does look to be very healthy and very well kept. Good luck OP these will likely turn out very pretty for you!

mrtwinkles
09-01-2015, 01:13 PM
thank you very much guys, i'll post more pics once they are settled in their grow out. i'm happy with whatever they turn out to be it's just that people are already asking me and i have no clue

strawberryblonde
09-01-2015, 01:32 PM
I downloaded one of your pics and adjusted the color balance and contrast so that I could see the true colors of the discus. Once I did that I could see that it's developing some small spots on its body instead of stripes, so I'm at a loss as to exactly what kind of cross it might be.

It's a VERY pretty fish and looks to be in excellent health though! If I had to guess at what it is, I'd go with a turq/tefe cross.

When someone asks you about it, just tell them it's going to be a surprise and that you'll let them know once it's full grown and has developed all of it's colors and pattern. =)

rickztahone
09-01-2015, 03:21 PM
A turq :)

mrtwinkles
09-01-2015, 10:33 PM
lol i like surprises, thank you for all that work, i put in a tentative order for a 150 gal for December. wanna get a school of clown loaches maybe 4-6 and maybe a dozen cardinal tetras to go with them and a pair of gbr i have already. Any issues with loaches? i saw some people recommend against plecos

Lighthouse7
09-01-2015, 10:56 PM
I have 2 yoyo loaches are the party of the tank, everyone likes them.... except the discus, thier to aggressive for discus. - Lighthouse

Altum Nut
09-02-2015, 12:28 AM
Any of the hypancistrus plecos species (L46, L102, L173/174, L260, L262, L333, etc) are almost entirely carnivorous and good Discus tank mates. I have a group of 10 adult Leopard Frog in with my Discus...never had an issue.
I would recommend not getting clown loaches as tank mates with your Discus...not because they will be aggressive towards your Discus but merely as they will reach any food source first not leaving anything behind for your Discus.

...Ralph

mrtwinkles
09-02-2015, 01:23 AM
thanks for the info i'll def check those out

mrtwinkles
09-21-2015, 07:13 PM
https://youtu.be/DLFpNr0UZbw

a video if anyone can help identify them , they started colouring up a bit. Finally got the grow out tank all set up but not finished, i'm doing a diy k1 filter and algae scrubber. i Put the sand in because it is located in my office and i need to try the sand for aesthetics but if it is causing too many issues i'll remove it

jmf3460
09-21-2015, 08:29 PM
I am sorry to say this but the fish in the beginning of your post looked healthier and better than the ones in your new video. you are doing them a severe disjustice by having that substrate in there. even if your nitrates are low, there are things that hide in that substrate that pollute the water and make it unhealthy for growing out your discus. don't get me wrong they are still beautiful but you will have much better looking adults without any substrate. at the most a thin layer (1/8") of light colored sand. that way you can see the detritus on top of it and syphon it out.

GeauxDiscus
09-21-2015, 08:50 PM
To me they look very stunted. They aren't horribly unhealthy, but they they look like stunted adults. I doubt they will get much larger. Also, you said you were doing 30% water changes only twice a week? You will have to do at least 50% changes twice a week to maintain that size, and every day if you hope to get any more size out of them. And I agree with Jacklyn - ditch the substrate.

mrtwinkles
09-21-2015, 09:16 PM
hmm i'll remove the substrate, just to note tho i just put them in the tank when i made the vid so they were stressed from the transfer. I kno i have some runts in there but i don't wanna cull them so i'll see what they turn out like and keep them elsewhere when i get the display tank.

i will upgrade to 50% 3 times and see how that fares

thank you for the help guys anyone sure on identity ?

kareen
09-21-2015, 09:27 PM
I would take out that rock and just put in some poted plants and just bare bottom tank and feed them three or four time a day and do good water changes

GeauxDiscus
09-21-2015, 09:37 PM
Most of them are brilliant blues. I think two of them are a rose red or brown with brilliant blue mix.

mrtwinkles
09-21-2015, 09:46 PM
Most of them are brilliant blues. I think two of them are a rose red or brown with brilliant blue mix.

oooooo ok this seems to have hit the nail on the head , thank you very much

Eddie
09-21-2015, 10:14 PM
I'm guessing blue turqs. Is your tank bottom painted black or is that gravel? Dark substrates/bottoms will make your fish very dark.