PDA

View Full Version : Tank set up questionarre

BADFISHY
09-01-2015, 07:53 AM
Posting this in a new thread as it seems the sticky is not being watched any longer. Feel free to shoot me down and steer me away feom discus.

1) Please Introduce your self and tell us what your experience is with fishkeeping, give us as much information as possible as to how long in the hobby, what you have kept in the past and what you currently are working with.

HI Boys and Girls. I'm Kevin. Just getting back in the game as I recently re-acquired one of two 125g Marineland tanks with stands and canopies that I made about nine years ago. Sold them a few years back and now that I have my own home again I went looking for an aquarium on Craigslist and what do you know, one of my very own aquariums happened to be for sale. This particular tank was intended for mbuna cichlids and her sister tank was a amazon community planted tank with mostly jungle vals. I was going to do mbuna cichs again but got the planted tank bug after seeing some awesome tanks. Basically I think I would get bored with mbuna cichs as I am a equipment junky. I also like the variety of a community tank. With African cichs, you order a bunch of fish and throw them in the tank. No romance, browsing, shopping, or feeling of ecstatic joy when you find some crazy pleco hiding under some wood at the fish store.

2) If you have no previous experience with keeping discus, have you done any research to properly prepare yourself, e.g. have you read any Stickies in this section of SimplyDiscus, or other material?

No, Some [working on it]

3) Describe your tank, its size and dimensions, breeding or display. Include how long it has been setup or if it is still being cycled.

72" x 18" x 22"/ display/ no water yet

4) Describe the décor for the tank; type of substrate or bare bottom (BB), whether the tank will be planted or a biotope.

This will be a heavily planted tank with peat under eco complete under Tahitian moon sand. I was shot down already on dark substrate with discus although I refuse to believe it,lol. Not decided on c02 injection yet but it is a good possibility for down the road. See how the algae goes.

5) Describe your water changes planned or practiced, percentage and how often. Include if you age your water and use of tap/RO or mix.

I'm going to set up a fifty gallon aging tank on the back porch at some point which should yield a ball park fifty percent water change every week, unless I can set up a refugium under the show tank , in which case water changes will be far less.

6) Describe the type of filtration planned/used for the tank; sponge, HOB and/or sump. Also include the other equipment you are, or will be, using in your tank, e.g. heater, lighting, etc.

Lighting will be a 60 or 72" Build My LED 6300k with controller. Heaters are twin 200w Cobalt. C02, maybe. I have two fx5 filters that came back to me with the tank. Waiting on impellors as they were making all sorts or racket. They are nine years old now. If they don't work properly i'll look into a sump and refugium set up. Still pondering a refugium with or without the fx5's. This stand was designed to be able to hold a 55g tank underneath as the rear center brace is removable. Canopy has a cut out for a small exhaust fan if the lights get to warm. I don't expect I'll need one. Will also ad an air pump for night time oxygenation. Brand...they all suck so probably a basic Whisper.

7) If the tank is already setup and running, include the water parameters;

NA...no filters or lights yet. I'll be working with hard Florida water...joy!!

8) Describe your current or planned stocking levels; number/size of discus and number/type of dither fish. Where did you get your discus from or do you have a proposed source for getting your discus?

I'm thinking 6 discus, a couple oddball smaller plecos, 10 corys for bottom clean up, and lots of cardinal and/ or rummy nose or scissortail tetras. Possibly a small school of red/blue tetras or something of that sort. Not sure where to get the discus from yet.

9) Describe your planned or existing feeding regimen. Include what and how often you are feeding on a daily basis.

Twice daily and whatever is recommended when I get around to adding the discus. They will be last to inhabit the tank.

10) What are your goals in this hobby? For example are you looking to keep discus in a planted community tank, or do you hope to become a hobby breeder of Discus? Do you want to raise Discus with the hopes of competing in shows?

My goal is to have a show winner of a tank so I can post pics everywhere and have total strangers tell me how awesome I am. No breeding plans, but its a possibility.

Below are old pics of my twin girls and one pic of the tanks new home.

BADFISHY
09-01-2015, 08:00 AM
Okay, I'll have to add pics later as i can't seem to drag and drop from an android.

BADFISHY
09-02-2015, 07:31 AM
Glad i wnt through the trouble of writing all that down lol.

strawberryblonde
09-02-2015, 11:15 AM
Hi again!

I'm starting to feel like we're best buddies on here since we seem to be the only ones talking on your threads. LOL

Hopefully some others will chime in today.

There's not much more I can add that I didn't already mention in the previous thread. I had thought that costs were a concern based on the first paragraph of your other thread, which is why I recommended sub-adult discus from one of the sponsors here on Simply Discus. But if you absolutely don't want to do water changes more than once a week, adults are going to be the way to go. Much more expensive, but fewer feedings, less mess in the tank and fewer water changes. You can check out some of the adult discus in the sponsor section to get an idea on strains and prices.

I know you're adamant about the Tahitian Moon sand, so try looking at Blue Diamonds and some of the Albino Strains. They don't have the ability to darken to match the substrate and background. Oh and remember that the dark background and substrate are for you, they won't make your discus less stressed, healthier or more colorful. =)

The only other thing I can add at the moment is regarding your aging barrel. Aging water is always great for discus! But don't worry about softening the water for them. You aren't looking at buying wilds right now and domestic discus have been bred in higher pH water so they can handle whatever your tap dishes out. (Mine live and breed in 8.2-8.4 pH)

And I think that's it for now.

rickztahone
09-02-2015, 11:26 AM
My goal is to have a show winner of a tank so I can post pics everywhere and have total strangers tell me how awesome I am. No breeding plans, but its a possibility.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Well you have a few things going for you.

You plan on doing a very light discus load. 6 discus would be perfect considering your proposed water change schedule. With this in mind, I would suggest buying discus no smaller than 5".
Your filtration will be more than adequate with 2 FX5's. From what I remember, those were really work-horse filters with a lot of media capacity.
If you can avoid co2, I would. Discus are not huge fans of co2. I will tell you from personal experience, if you do not know how to manage your co2, or if you go the cheap route on your co2 setup, you are asking for trouble for your build. If you MUST do co2, get a 2 stage regulator, a redundant solenoid setup (2) and a quality needle valve.

Since you are planning on weekly water changes I am assuming you will be dry dosing and restarting every week? What will you dose with? Root tabs in addition? What type of plants do you want to grow?

My suggestion would be to set up the tank, add as many plants as you can possibly afford to fully planted from the get go and leave the system running as you would if you had discus in it, but without discus in it for a while. This way, you get a feel of the planted tank requirements, dialing in lighting and so on...

Welcome to the forum from your friendly neighborhood mod. and don't forget.....

:mods:

DiscusRob
09-02-2015, 05:58 PM
Water changes, Rick forgot to mention that:):) Welcome to our family. No he didn't but it's been drilled in to me since day one so, it's my turn:):):):)

rickztahone
09-03-2015, 11:30 AM
Water changes, Rick forgot to mention that:):) Welcome to our family. No he didn't but it's been drilled in to me since day one so, it's my turn:):):):)

lol, water change, water change, water change!

Seriously though, with a planted tank, it becomes really difficult to do daily, or every other day water changes because plants simply do not like it. At the end of the day, most people have to make a decision what type of tank they like best, a tank with fully healthy plants, or a tank with fully healthy discus. It is a rare sight (but not impossible) to see both because they both require different needs.