PDA

View Full Version : The King of the Aquarium

hannapro
09-05-2015, 08:12 PM
The King of the Aquarium is none other than the Discus Fish. Why? Because this fish, I believe, is the most beautiful of all freshwater fish with many color variations, strains and personality. The Asians have created hundreds of color variations that are so beautiful as to cause many people to suddenly want these for themselves once seen. This is exactly how it happened for me.

I know there are many beautiful species in the fish keeping hobby today. African Cichlids like the ones from the east and those from the west. Africa Cichlids are very beautiful but not as personable as the Discus that are neither a small fish or a monster fish.
To have these fish is somewhat of a job. You really need to follow rules to keep these fish happy. However, my stand is that even a beginning fish hobbyist may be able to keep these beautiful fish if they do what it takes to have these fish. No, actually I will say, beginners CAN have discus when doing what it takes to care and maintain these fish.

Research is key to knowing what to do to maintain these fish and the most important is the nitrogen cycle on through to the stable tank. This is paramount to having a great home for these fish. What else is involved with a great home? Well, I recommend a species only biotope using driftwood laying on top of a quarter inch of sand substrate. Using almond leaves to create black water extract is also a great start to having discus feel very comfortable in their home.
My Discus tank setups are like I mentioned so, here is my total setup:

1. Stable tank after six weeks of seasoning the 55 gallon tank with 6.0 pH well water with no usage of R/O water and 2 large sponge filters.
a. I used household ammonia with no additives to raise ammonia to 5 ppm and maintained that each day until i began seeing, through testing, ammonia levels dropping to zero after one week.
b. Then when I began seeing Nitrites rising, which was a good sign, I continued the seasoning until nitrites began to drop. When nitrites was about 2 ppm, I began seeing a rise in nitrates. This was during a three week period.
c. I added driftwood and allowed beneficial colonies of bacteria to grow on this driftwood. This was accomplished through the fourth week.
d. At the four week point I added some Minnows to keep cycle active until Discus time.
e. After the 4 weeks of seasoning I began to realize a very stable tank situation. HOWEVER...
f. I kept this stabilization process going for another 2 weeks just to be safe with the well water, 1/4 inch of substrate, driftwood, Cardinales and cory's.
g. At six weeks I removed my minnows, bought my first school of Discus. Acclimated them using the drip method. I now had a species only tank of five discus in a 55 gallon species only aquarium. Now, I was now all setup and it took only six weeks. I know there are people out there that use a seasoned filter to place on their tank to have a right now tank setup but, I only use this way with all other fish that are not expensive to replace.
You may ask what filtration system did you use Willy T? Well, My first bout with discus I used Sponge filters due to the fact that they birth large colonies of beneficial bacteria. However, I eventually had to do a different filtration so I tried hang on back with the sponge filters with greater quality of water. But, I wanted more for them so I went CONDO. I began using canister filters with even greater success. All my filtration was setup as biological filtration systems.
When I did water changes of 50% everyday and sometimes twice a day my discus grew rather fast achieving 7 inches. However today I believe that process is like steroids. So, eventually I began doing 20% change each day. Remember well water has a lot of heavy metals so use prime for sure and get a metals detector if you can afford one.
So, Here is my total setup:

1. I use 6.0 pH well water with a prime like product called Diamond from ST International which I believe is better than prime.
2. My discus tanks have a temperature at 87 degrees Fahrenheit constant using two heaters in the tanks with one always as a backup if one becomes in-operational. Why 87 degrees well, I believe that at that temperature there is a very low chance that they will get a disease or parasite infestation.
3. I have Driftwood,both Malaysian and Mopani. I arrange the driftwood to be as aesthetic to my eyes as possible. I will tell you this: A biotope tank for a species only discus situation may not be pretty to your eyes but they are to discus. You see I think Discus.
4. I have a 1/4 inch of sand substrate. WHY? Remember, I said I have Cory's? Well, if I used gravel there would be a possibility that their barbels would get damaged, weaken the fish and they would die. and besides it's easier to disturb the substrate as I clean it and this helps to maintain my ideal water parameters. I do a 20% water change each day.
5. I use low lighting because discus do not need anymore than low lighting due to their bigger, than most fish, with that size eyes. I believe they are really stressed out with high lighting. So, if you desire to have a planted tank... Use low light amazon swords. There are many types of swords that will make for a great looking aquarium.
6. I now, spend as much time interating with them as possible because they really enjoy watching you looking at them. They have great personality and will talk to you if you just observe their behaviors. You will see through observation that they can tell you when there is problem with them. Now, the first thing I do when I see less than happy behavior is do a 90 % water change because I believe in that statement. WHEN IN DOUBT, WATER IT OUT.

Tips:
1. Test your water at least once a week because believe it or not pH can and will change through time periods between water changes. This is why I do Daily changes and test before and after every change.
2. Love your Discus Pets and they will love you back...I promise this because perfect love begets perfect love.
3. Interact with them as much as possible.
4. Do the rules with the idea of "I Love My Fish"
5. Make them happy because they did not ask to be in your aquarium, you put them there.
6. Continue to research as new info from experts may be available
7. If you can afford it get Ayda Clarity a Black Mica Extract for your water.

Second Hand Pat
09-06-2015, 09:19 AM
Hi William and welcome to Simply. SimplyDiscus is a forum which is exclusively dedicated to the keeping of discus and has the collective knowledge of many seasoned discus keepers. While your methods made work for you there are better ways.

First off we recommend starting with a 75 gallon vs a 55 gallon. A 75 is a bit more forgiving to a newbie discus keeper and give the fish a better footprint for their size and movement. We suggest members use their tap water as it is the most stable water available to most of us and we do not recommend using buffers to adjust the ph. A stable ph is best and domestics are well adapted to a range of ph and water hardness for general discus keeping.

We also recommend the fishless method for starting a new tank but do not recommend the use of other fish to assist in the cycle. We prefer to not add pathogens associated with dither fish to the new discus tank as it poses a contamination risk to the discus and breaks quarantine.

When introducing discus to the new tank we suggest the drop and plop method vs the drip method. There is far less risk of ammonia burn to the fish. Once you open the shipping bag the ammonia which was held in check by the low ph in the closed bag goes toxic and you risk burning the fins and gills to the fish. With the drop and plop this risk is very low. The bag water is not added to the tank.

We also recommend to new discus keepers to apply KISS and go bare bottom with sponge filters. Once the discus keeper has a handle on their fish then add sand, wood etc to the tank. Since we promote growing discus to achieve their maximum potential or to maintain healthy discus we also recommend large daily water changes starting out. Once discus are adults people can determine what frequency and percentage water changes what works best for them. Many of the seasoned discus keepers recommend a temperature of no more then 82F (of 28C). This helps to save on the power bill plus pathogens proliferate at higher temperatures.

Since you promote ongoing research the owner of SimplyDiscus, Al Sabetta did a talk at the ACA Convention this year on discus keeping and is a must watch for new and old discus keepers alike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXe3VKh7qF8

discuspaul
09-06-2015, 11:35 AM
I agree with & support all that Pat said.
Your practices may work ok for you, but are not generally recommended for new discus-keepers to achieve success over the long term. Please do some more research on the best ways to keep discus.

MadMatt
09-06-2015, 01:05 PM
Over the years I have done almost every recommendation online, some where great results, others ended in horrid results.
Once I started listening to experienced hobbiest/breeders here on SD like Pat, Toni, Rick, John, Al, etc my results drastically improved.
I recommend everyone to try everything these guy recommended for at least two months, you won't believe the difference.
:)

Rudustin
09-06-2015, 06:25 PM
Dear William, I also agree completely with Pat in all that she said. I must admit that I was concerned about the temperature and your assumption that warmer water would prevent more pathogens from affecting discus but in fact, as Pat said, it is quite the opposite. The phrase Water it Out, was very much a phrase that is so valid for so many of us that keep discus. Happy that you have joined the SD forum and hope that the suggestions made by Pat and others will continue to be your mantra in this wonderful world of the King and Queens of freshwater keeping Discus. Rufus

Larry Bugg
09-06-2015, 07:32 PM
Pat is absolutely correct.

My concern though is not just for your discus but for those of others who decide to take your advice. I've seen a lot of your videos over the last couple of years and I believe your are genuine in your desire to help others with discus but after a couple of years of trying to keep them you still have a lot of things wrong and I know that you have had to start over more than once due to problems with your discus. I would hate to think that inexperienced discus keepers are watching your videos and taking your advice only to end up with sick discus. It might be best if you spent a lot of time here reading and learning before trying to help others. Not trying to be harsh but I know you don't want steer others wrong.

Driftwood Mike
09-06-2015, 09:08 PM
If you want to learn about how to care for discus, there is no better place to start than here. Follow their advice and you will have a great chance at being successful. You can find many opinions and advice online and after you try them you will most likely be back here looking for help. Thankfully some of the real pros have spoken up. Thanks Pat, Paul, Rufus, Larry for keeping it real.

discuspaul
09-06-2015, 09:13 PM
Very well said, Larry.
We certainly hope you, William, will take the advice in the helpful spirit in which it's intended, and improve on your knowledge of how to keep discus successfully, so that you can confidently pass that knowledge along to followers of your videos and posts.

Discuschill
09-07-2015, 11:45 AM
Love all the insights to be gained on SD.

I do agree, too, that spending quality time with the discus in a "loving" way really shows their sweet spirit and helps them stay healthy too (Maybe??) I move slowly up to the tanks, crouch down to them, and put my face very close to the tank, and just sit with them for a bit. As I'm sure everyone has experienced, do they respond! They really go nuts--swim around excitedly back and forth in front of me, continually gazing back into my eyes. It is quite good therapy to cheer me up if I'm having a bad day.

At any rate, so glad I found discus, and SD, too.

-kathy