PDA

View Full Version : Considering Discus?

PB Kuhn
09-07-2015, 10:57 AM
I am new here. I haven't kept discus, but would like to try my hand at keeping them, but am honestly undecided. I have multiple other types of freshwater tanks. I am thinking to convert my current 120 gallon into a discus tank with perhaps 6 discus and a few dither fish (already in there). My thought is to gradually move some of the big fish in there to another tank and gradually convert the aquascape into a discus friendly environment (thin out the substrate etc). My concern is about ph in particular. For all my tanks I use a python from the tap to do water changes. The issue is the water coming from my tap is a whopping 8.3 most of the time. However, that tank usually hovers at a very consistent 7.8-8.0 (I have never seen it lower for higher really). It probably doesn't lower much because I do a faithful 40-50% weekly water change on that tank. Is that just too high of a ph for keeping discus? I have several tanks and might not consider discus if I have to age or use RO water because the maintenance just might be too much. I am also concerned that by doing water changes maybe twice a week that the ph would be even higher. Thoughts?

discuspaul
09-07-2015, 11:07 AM
Welcome to the forum, Brenda

Your pH out of the tap, and the level being maintained after settling in the tank are not a problem.
Many discus-keepers successfully keep discus at pH above 8 so long as it is maintainable at a relatively stable level.
Even when your wcs are increased in frequency & quantity (which should be done) to properly keep discus, the resulting pH should not be problematic.
I trust you have done your advance homework on keeping discus, and are prepared to do what is needed to keep them thriving & healthy.
Best of luck to you.

PB Kuhn
09-07-2015, 11:13 AM
Thank you. I have been doing lots and reading and viewing many video tutorials from reputable discus keepers so I hope I am aware of what is needed in that regard. I was just mostly scared away from the idea of specialty water as that would just make tank maintenance become more than what I am comfortable with since i have other tanks as well. Love the python and it makes managing multiple tanks a more manageable.

John_Nicholson
09-08-2015, 08:12 AM
If you are only going to change water once or twice a week you will not really be able to grow out young fish. You should probably start with young adults.

-john

ozone
09-26-2015, 09:51 AM
I would get them and you can always add something to drop the ph like seachem discus buffer or neutral regulater the 7.0 one. These have phosphates though which can result in algae. I prefer seachem acid buffer the one without the phosphates.