PDA

View Full Version : Levamisole, Metronidazole and praziquantel -- Do they Kill parasites?

Heartbreaker
09-27-2015, 02:13 PM
Hello:

So I have quarantined some fish and placed into my larger tank when I noticed they were a bit shy once introduced to it. to be on the safe side I am treating the entire tank for parasites. That being said, I think I read somewhere that Levamisole, Metronidazole and praziquantel only "stun" the parasites and you need to gravel vacuum them up before the fish re-ingest them.

Does anyone have any knowledge on this? I'd really like to know...

Thanks in advance

Ardan
09-28-2015, 07:28 AM
Hi,
I always treat in a barebottom tank and clean it well so the fish don't reingest tapeworm parts or eggs. These can reinfect the fish. Also if there are capillaria eggs expelled and reingested they get reinfected with nematodes.

hth
Ardan

rickztahone
09-28-2015, 11:16 AM
Hi,
I always treat in a barebottom tank and clean it well so the fish don't reingest tapeworm parts or eggs. These can reinfect the fish. Also if there are capillaria eggs expelled and reingested they get reinfected with nematodes.

hth
Ardan

This is one of the many reasons to NOT feed fish during medication as well.

Heartbreaker
09-28-2015, 08:06 PM
Hi,

hth
Ardan

Well my issue is a bit more serious than that. I'm thinking I may have parasites in my large tank which is a 115g planted tank. I simply don't have the money, time, nor patience to break it down and re-set it up again.

Eddie
09-30-2015, 08:50 PM
It's actually quite difficult to have a parasite free community tank. You could definitely take some preliminary measures by medicating the fish in a quarantine tank prior to introducing them to the display tank. Additionally, you could scope the fish and feces for verification prior to moving them. From that point on, you would have to be extremely strict about introducing new fish. It's really about how far you want to take it. There is always a risk for error. You can never have a 100% parasite/bacteria free system.

As far as metro, levamisole or prazi killing parasites. They do kill specific parasites.

Heartbreaker
10-01-2015, 11:40 AM
It's actually quite difficult to have a parasite free community tank. ... You can never have a 100% parasite/bacteria free system.

As far as metro, levamisole or prazi killing parasites. They do kill specific parasites.

That's good to know. And comforting that seasoned people who have aquariums don't have 100% 'perfect' tanks. And thanks for the info on Metro, Prazi, and Levamisole. I often wondered which parasites they kill, don't kill

Eddie
10-01-2015, 08:29 PM
That's good to know. And comforting that seasoned people who have aquariums don't have 100% 'perfect' tanks. And thanks for the info on Metro, Prazi, and Levamisole. I often wondered which parasites they kill, don't kill

That's actually a great question. A lot of people use a medication without ever even knowing what it actually does or how it works.

Each of the chemicals you listed has a specific target and it would be wise to use them for that reason.

Keep in mind, some organisms have life cycles so it may seem like they are impossible to kill but they are just harder to deal with.

Heartbreaker
10-02-2015, 04:26 PM
That's actually a great question. ... Each of the chemicals you listed has a specific target and it would be wise to use them for that reason.

Keep in mind, some organisms have life cycles so it may seem like they are impossible to kill but they are just harder to deal with.

Any in particular that are harder to kill than most? Also I have a major variable with having a planted tank so I have to be a little more careful

Eddie
10-02-2015, 09:55 PM
Anything with a life cycle will be harder because you'll have to break it. Stubborn issues are flukes, certain nematodes and flagellates.