PDA

View Full Version : Quarantine Tank Size

TexMoHoosier
09-27-2015, 10:53 PM
I'm planning to keep 6 discus in a 65 gallon aquarium. I am going to buy sub-adults (4-5") and most likely will buy all 6 them all at once, unless I use multiple sources. My display tank will be BB with some potted Amazon Swords and anubias and java ferns on driftwood. I also plan to keep some cardinal tetras, cory cats and otos with the discus. As far as a QT goes, all I have available is a 29 gallon tank. Is that too small to quarantine 6 discus or should I buy 3 discus, quarantine them for 6 weeks, add them to the display tank and then buy & quarantine the next 3? I really do not want to quarantine in the display tank in the event that my discus come down with something and I have to treat it with something than kills my biological filter. I was also planning to have the otos and cardinals in the display before the discus (I have them already, in the 29). Don't have the corys yet, but I may quarantine and add them to the display tank before I get discus too.

rickztahone
09-28-2015, 11:30 AM
Honestly, you are simply better off putting the discus in the 65g right away. Losing your BB isn't the end of the world, and the 29g will become very small for them soon. Keep the other fish in the 29g and observe them for a while, depending on how long you've had them.

TexMoHoosier
09-28-2015, 08:53 PM
Thanks, Ricardo.

If I were to buy from 2 different importers, I would still want to quarantine them separately though, wouldn't i?

rickztahone
09-28-2015, 09:26 PM
Thanks, Ricardo.

If I were to buy from 2 different importers, I would still want to quarantine them separately though, wouldn't i?
Yes indeed. This means, preferably separate rooms, separate hoses, separate equipment. Basically separate everything

tonytheboss1
10-11-2015, 09:11 PM
:bandana: Personally, I would get this first (6) discus all at once, same source & put them in the 65g. Once they are established & thriving you might try adding the cardinals & then after while the ottos or whatever to a point. 65g doesn't give you a whole lot of xtra room for friends once the discus max out. I saved my 29g for a hospital tank. "T"