PDA

View Full Version : Does Quick Ich-X work for gill flukes?

LJC123
10-11-2015, 02:42 PM
My Discus have flukes; some can't close gills, a couple with white film in gills, some scratching, spitting, or swimming with one fin and one with white, stringy poop. I blame myself for too many changes too quickly: new sand, new driftwood and new beefheart recipe. I've read that formaline and malachite green together works best. I went into my LFS and asked if they had these meds and the owner said Quick Ich-X has both and is safer than using both medications purchased separately. It contains formaldehyde (<22%), methanol (<7.5%), malachite green chloride (<0.2%). I know that formaline is usualy used at 37% to treat flukes, but the posts that say this are quite old, so I'm wondering if that has changed?
Now, at $6 it is a lot cheaper than buying them separately, so he wasn't just trying to make more money, and I consider these guys friends so I know they wouldn't knowingly steer me wrong. And he said it is what he uses for flukes and that it is so much safer for Discus.
So, should this work or would I be wasting my time & energy and stressing my Discus further for nothing?

nc0gnet0
10-11-2015, 02:49 PM
First of all, why are you sure you have flukes and not a gill infection? This belongs in the disease section with you filling out a disease questionnaire.