PDA

View Full Version : Sick tank rules

aklemmensen
10-11-2015, 04:03 PM
Hi Guys,

I have a 40G sick/quaranteen bare bottom tank set up with sponge filter and I want to know a general rule about how long should I wait until placing a fish in it after one dies? I just had a sick discus die, I have no clue why and I want to know for the future, what is a good amount of time to give before placing another fish in there.
Thanks

Anya

Eddie
10-11-2015, 09:43 PM
Hi Guys,

I have a 40G sick/quaranteen bare bottom tank set up with sponge filter and I want to know a general rule about how long should I wait until placing a fish in it after one dies? I just had a sick discus die, I have no clue why and I want to know for the future, what is a good amount of time to give before placing another fish in there.
Thanks

Anya

I would break the tank down and sterilize it. Some people use a light bleach solution followed with a good rinse and fill again and dose 4X dechlorinator. That's one option.

aklemmensen
10-12-2015, 10:19 AM
How about my filter media? And what's another option

DJW
10-12-2015, 11:21 AM
You mentioned that its just a sponge filter. I think your only good option is to either throw it away or sterilize it. They are pretty cheap, so why take the chance? If I was intent on keeping the sponge filter, I would run it with air in a solution of hydrogen peroxide for 12 hours, and even then I would worry about it.

rickztahone
10-12-2015, 11:32 AM
You can stick it in the microwave. Not the plastic parts of course, bleach those.

aklemmensen
10-12-2015, 03:29 PM
Thanks Guys. I dint want to have to recycle my tank, but I understand that I have to. I appreciate the help

strawberryblonde
10-12-2015, 03:58 PM
If by recycle you mean start a new cycle in your clean, sterilized sponge filter, then you're gonna love my answer. =)

For a hospital tank, you don't bother using a cycled filter. Many times the medicines you're treating with will kill the nitrifying bacteria in the filter anyways, so a sponge filter is just in there to provide aeration, not for actual filtration.

I've never thrown my sponge filter away. I just drain my tank, refill it, toss in 1 cup of bleach, turn on the sponge filter and let it run for a few hours. Then I drain again, refill and use 4 times the amount of dechlorinator. I let that run for an hour, drain and repeat one more time with 4 times the dechlorinator, then drain the tank and just let it air dry till the next time I need it.

pitdogg2
10-12-2015, 05:47 PM
I would break the tank down and sterilize it. Some people use a light bleach solution followed with a good rinse and fill again and dose 4X dechlorinator. That's one option.

with good aeration there is no need for any dechlorinator it will dissipate in 24-48hrs and carbon will also remove chlorine if you feel the need.

Eddie
10-13-2015, 05:27 AM
with good aeration there is no need for any dechlorinator it will dissipate in 24-48hrs and carbon will also remove chlorine if you feel the need.

Just a safety measure. Everybody does things their own way.

aklemmensen
10-14-2015, 12:12 AM
Maybe I'm confused . sorry I'm new to this. It took a month or so for my water parameters to be perfect so what do you mean by air dry until next time you need it? I have had it run for months in case I ever need it. Please help me understand. Thank you and sorry in advance for your timr

strawberryblonde
10-14-2015, 02:01 AM
Hi again! =)

What we mean is that you don't need to worry about perfect water parameters in a hospital tank.

Here's what you need:

1) A 20 gallon tank, with the outside bottom and back of the tank painted white (to reduce glare and reflections)

2) A heater

3) An air stone or a sponge filter to aerate the water. Depending on the type of treatment, you may need an extra air stone to provide enough oxygen to your sick discus.

That's all you need and you can air dry the tank and put it away when you're not using it. Just be sure to sterilize it before letting it dry and that includes the equipment.

The reason that you don't worry about cycling the filter is because many antibiotics and other treatment regimens for sick fish will actually kill the good bacteria in the filters - so there's just no point in going to all the work of cycling it.

During treatment you won't be feeding your discus and you'll be changing a large volume of water every day, so ammonia and nitrites will be kept to a minimum.

I hope that helps to explain it for you.

DJW
10-14-2015, 02:08 AM
I think I see the source of the confusion. A hospital tank is not the same thing as a quarantine tank. If you want to buy new fish, you should put them in a quarantine tank for 4 to 6 weeks (opinions vary) observation before introducing them to your main tank. This tank should have a cycled filter, as it will be the living quarters for the new arrivals. I leave the quarantine tank empty until I need it, but I keep a fully cycled sponge filter in another tank that can be transferred to the newly-filled quarantine tank the day I add the new fish. The reason for this is that a filter running in a lifeless tank won't cycle unless you are adding ammonia artificially, and there is no need for that. Let the fish produce the ammonia in another tank. If during the quarantine period you have to medicate the new arrivals, the tank becomes a hospital tank.

If it is a hospital tank for the isolation and treatment of a sick fish, then the filter doesn't need to be cycled because you will likely be using meds that kill the beneficial bacteria in the filter anyway. You can leave this tank dry and set it up immediately when needed. You will be doing daily water changes to keep the water clean rather than bio-filtration. Keep a sponge filter running just for mechanical filtration, aeration and circulation of the water.

Hope this helps.