PDA

View Full Version : Single white spot on discus tail

minniedt
10-13-2015, 08:31 AM
Hi I am is new to discus, can you please help me to identify this white spot on my discus tail? My discus have had this spot for more than 2 weeks now, it look like ick but doesn't seem to be spreading to other fishes.

thanks in advance

pitdogg2
10-13-2015, 09:22 AM
don't look like Ich. I've seen those in mine from time to time except they were blackish but your fish is white so yours be white.

pamdb33
10-13-2015, 09:31 AM
I've also seen it on my discus at times. The spots seem to go away, I figured it was a small wound from fighting.

BTW, that is a georgeous looking discus!! I've been dying to get my hands on a pure white discus like that. :)

jmf3460
10-13-2015, 09:49 AM
+1 just a blemish, a pimple people might call it. put pimple in the search bar and you will see they are very common and are sometimes an indicator that your water quality is not where it should be.

rickztahone
10-13-2015, 11:43 AM
+1 just a blemish, a pimple people might call it. put pimple in the search bar and you will see they are very common and are sometimes an indicator that your water quality is not where it should be.

this is the reason. Water quality is not optimal in the tank when you start seeing these on the fins. With my current group, I have done daily water changes since I got them, however, just recently I missed 2 WC's on separate days, and I noticed the little white spots on their fins.

minniedt
10-13-2015, 12:47 PM
Thank you all, I will check the water parameters and do more water changes over the next few days.
This pure white discus is one of my favourite, I originally wanted to get a pair but the guy who I bought it from said they are harder to keep compared to the others so bought only one. I will come back for one more if everthing is ok over the next few weeks.

rickztahone
10-13-2015, 12:56 PM
Harder to keep? IMO this may just be LFS talk, but I do find it rather interesting, and apart from the norm that an LFS will steer you away from actually purchasing from them. I'll give them that at least :)

I hope you quarantined this discus before introducing him.

Skip
10-14-2015, 09:07 AM
as rick said.. water quality.. very easliy fixed. up your water change % and do it daily.. it will go away in a week or so :)

seankelly
10-15-2015, 09:34 PM
James from Discus R Us in New Jersey has some real nice white discus

Jack L
10-15-2015, 09:51 PM
+1 on blemish

I've seen them on some of mine, they go away on their own. in fact i posted pic similar asking the board myself couple months back : )