PDA

View Full Version : 55 gallon filtration and cycling

jeff12
10-17-2015, 03:22 AM
I have had Mbuna cichlids for years now but since I got a new 55 gallon tank, I have space for discus now. My current tank is a 55 gallon tall stocked with Mbuna cichlids. I plan on moving them to a new tank that I got which is a 55 gallon long, which leaves my 55 gallon tall for discus.

Since the 55 gallon tall is already established with the beneficial bacteria, could I place a few discus in there directly after I remove the Mbuna? I have two HOB filters running on there now but I do plan on switching to sponge filters after the discus get developed if I choose to go with this plan. Would HOB filters or sponge filters be better for discus?

Also, do discus like long or tall tanks?

The other plan was to either take most of the water out of the tall tank and leave only a little left and fill it with brand new water. I would leave the current filter media in there to cycle the tank. Would this be better than a fishless cycle?

Eddie
10-17-2015, 09:47 AM
I'd actually post this in the discus basics for beginner's section. I highly advise against adding discus to a previously established tank. Mainly because of parasite/bacteria cross contamination.

If you are just starting with discus, you want to start clean and new. No other variables. What is your plan? What's your water like? How will you perform water changes? Are you planning to get adults or young fish? Lot's of things to think about before just adding discus to your old tank. Simply replacing the water will not do.

Phillydubs
10-17-2015, 10:22 AM
I was going to say the same thing as Eddie and you have good advice there... He also poses many of the questions I had... If you have a brand new tank, why not use that, if your mbuna are doing well where they are I would be more than happy to leave them alone...

Not sure the dimensions of your tank as I am only familiar with a standard 55...

If you insist on switching tanks then you should move your filters and all to the new 55, thoroughly clean and disinfect the old 55 and start fresh with new filters media and cycle...

Also, I know first hand, keeping discus of any size in a 55 is hard work and requires diligent water changes.. be prepared... I can't wait to get a bigger tank

jeff12
10-17-2015, 01:44 PM
I'd actually post this in the discus basics for beginner's section. I highly advise against adding discus to a previously established tank. Mainly because of parasite/bacteria cross contamination.

If you are just starting with discus, you want to start clean and new. No other variables. What is your plan? What's your water like? How will you perform water changes? Are you planning to get adults or young fish? Lot's of things to think about before just adding discus to your old tank. Simply replacing the water will not do.

Oh, if you can, could you move the thread over there?

If I start from the beginning do I have to do the fishless cycle? Is there anyway to avoid it?

Eddie
10-17-2015, 02:47 PM
Oh, if you can, could you move the thread over there?

If I start from the beginning do I have to do the fishless cycle? Is there anyway to avoid it?

There is a way. You could ask the seller to give you a sponge or some type of filter media to assist in your new tank.set up.

jeff12
10-18-2015, 01:08 AM
There is a way. You could ask the seller to give you a sponge or some type of filter media to assist in your new tank.set up.

Could I use the sponge from my current mbuna tank?

Altum Nut
10-18-2015, 10:44 AM

I have always kept extra sponges running in tanks for that reason alone...as long as tank was healthy where sponge is coming from. Just make sure you squeeze it out well but not ring it in a bucket with tank water and NOT WATER DIRECT FROM TAP.

...Ralph

Filip
10-18-2015, 04:22 PM
i would buy some instant cycle product for cycling if im about to do the hardwork and start from Zero.
How can i be sure if the sponge carries bacteria and parasites or not ?
IMO ,thats just another variable to make me paranoid if some issues come.

Eddie
10-18-2015, 04:58 PM

I highly recommend not doing that since you have no idea whether your old fish had any parasites/bacteria.

i would buy some instant cycle product for cycling if im about to do the hardwork and start from Zero.
How can i be sure if the sponge carries bacteria and parasites or not ?
IMO ,thats just another variable to make me paranoid if some issues come.

That's exactly right.

jeff12
10-25-2015, 03:02 AM
Can I use Dr. Tim instead for the cycling?

Eddie
10-25-2015, 03:48 AM
Can I use Dr. Tim instead for the cycling?

Never tried Tim's before. I've used SafeStart over the past years and always had good results.

jeff12
11-12-2015, 05:13 AM
Never tried Tim's before. I've used SafeStart over the past years and always had good results.

Do you add safestart right before you add the fish?

Filip
11-12-2015, 05:58 AM
Do you add safestart right before you add the fish?
No,you still have to wait at least 2-3 days. I think it should be mentioned in instructions.