PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of Discus growing juvies.

CANAMONSTER
10-20-2015, 07:38 AM
Hi, looking for advice on raising 2 inch Discus. I have a 45 gallon. 12x36x24h. Is it a real challenge? I am an long time fish keeper and want to give a go to some discus.

My plan. 50 to 60 percent water changes daily with bare bottom and two sponge filters. A diet of Mysis. Tap water with prime. If I do this I should be off to a good start?

Thanks guys. I have been relishing the idea of keeping Discus but always delayed because thinking I will get bored with them but they are just so damn beautiful :)

CANAMONSTER
10-20-2015, 07:39 AM
Forgot to mention i will be getting 6 Discus

John_Nicholson
10-20-2015, 08:14 AM
Not my favorite diet. I prefer a good beef heart mix. You could grow them out to say 4 4 1/2 inches without issue but will probably need a 75 by the time they are grown.

-john

CANAMONSTER
10-20-2015, 08:26 AM
Thanks, I'll do the BH mix. Tanks not an issue I have lots of sizes. Would the 75g be better to raise them in? I heard smaller tanks are better for raising to the size you mention.

Skip
10-20-2015, 09:00 AM
save some money in the long run.. get at 4" fish.. they are alot more forgiving on grow out then the 2".. (less chance of stunting) you will be happier with the larger group..

John_Nicholson
10-20-2015, 09:11 AM
I really don't think the tank size is that big a deal. It is all about clean water.

-john

Eddie
10-20-2015, 11:09 AM
I really don't think the tank size is that big a deal. It is all about clean water.

-john

+1

A breeder out here in Japan grows very large fish in overly stocked tanks, roughly 45 gallon tanks.

DISCUS STU
10-20-2015, 11:34 AM
save some money in the long run.. get at 4" fish.. they are alot more forgiving on grow out then the 2".. (less chance of stunting) you will be happier with the larger group..

+1. If you're entirely new to this then larger fish would probably be easier until you become familiar with the in's and out's of keeping Discus. It looks like you have the fundamentals down but there's a certain amount of "on the job" training that needs to be acquired. Six 4" in a 75 or even a little larger is probably a good way to go. Like the man said, "it's all about clean water".

CANAMONSTER
10-20-2015, 12:44 PM
The only thing that is a negative to me on raising 2 inchers is the extra work. I'm really not worried about it losing them.

But I hear ya and definitely think about buying larger!

CANAMONSTER
10-20-2015, 12:50 PM
For 200 bucks for half a dozen I think it's really not that much to get to know Discus

alron2
10-20-2015, 07:56 PM
For 200 bucks for half a dozen I think it's really not that much to get to know Discus

Sounds like another case of the "free puppy" or "great price puppy" in this case.

Mike welcome to the beginning of another case of discus addiction.
Ron

Jack L
10-20-2015, 09:18 PM
Hi, looking for advice on raising 2 inch Discus. I have a 45 gallon. 12x36x24h. Is it a real challenge? I am an long time fish keeper and want to give a go to some discus.

My plan. 50 to 60 percent water changes daily with bare bottom and two sponge filters. A diet of Mysis. Tap water with prime. If I do this I should be off to a good start?

Thanks guys. I have been relishing the idea of keeping Discus but always delayed because thinking I will get bored with them but they are just so damn beautiful :)

they are not boring, i've trained mine to play the piano, JK

Jack L
10-20-2015, 09:19 PM
Thanks, I'll do the BH mix. Tanks not an issue I have lots of sizes. Would the 75g be better to raise them in? I heard smaller tanks are better for raising to the size you mention.

search board for John beef heart mix, or the lazy mix.....kens flake w/ beef heart

Jack L
10-20-2015, 09:24 PM

by this you mean if you buy them when they are larger, you skip the risk of buying runts, because you are paying someone else to feed and care and cull the smalls.... ?

CANAMONSTER
10-20-2015, 10:04 PM
Thanks Jack. This is a hard choice. I actually like raising fry ad long as the species isn't super slow like the Ornatum I am growing:)

Jack Wattley Turqs is what I was intending on buying

Jack L
10-20-2015, 10:18 PM
someone on this board told me this. i'm paraphrasing.

but if you buy small, you don't know what you get until they are grown out.

in my case, growing them out was part of the fun, they really transform and it has been neat for all to see. neighbors thought i get different fish they change so much.

but if you are after some big fatties fast, the web is full of people that will take your cash.

a cactus.... LOL

i think i bought 15 dime size in the 90's to grow out, they were tiny and colorless they all made it ; )
this time i got nickle/quarter size, they are still growing.

FishFanMan
10-20-2015, 11:45 PM
Yup, growing them to 4 inches is fun (once) and you will know first hand how much effort is involved in that. I think every serious discus keeper should try it. I've been frustrated with my local breeder for selling me dime sized discus that weren't what he said they were. But what are going to do, I'm not going to exchange 3 inchers for dime sized ones again. I'm done raising tiny juvies, I know the effort involved and understand the economics of it. Would I do it again, hell no! But I think people should experience it for them selves once, yes!

krislewis3
10-22-2015, 11:06 AM
Something I've always been curious about....is there a particular discus strain, that is heartier then others? In my own experience, I've noted that my cobalts seem to have fewer problems, and tend to grow larger, however, my expierence is limited, so I'd like to know what you more experienced people here think!?? Kris

Eddie
10-23-2015, 10:29 AM
Something I've always been curious about....is there a particular discus strain, that is heartier then others? In my own experience, I've noted that my cobalts seem to have fewer problems, and tend to grow larger, however, my expierence is limited, so I'd like to know what you more experienced people here think!?? Kris

I wouldn't say hardier but some types seem to be weaker. I think the more you inbreed, more issues will arise. At least that's what I gather from reading.

CANAMONSTER
10-23-2015, 10:41 PM
Thanks for all the advice fellas, my patients are limited these days with fry and it dosnt help with the time I have reserved for my 15 month old little one :)

Screw it large it is, seems like more fun!

pastry
10-24-2015, 07:35 AM
Mike, still treat the 4 incher just like you would the 2s. Just look at it as time that someone else put into growing them. Sounds like you've got a grasp but just putting it out there that you can still stunt a 4 incher if you fall out of routine.

Kris, plus one on what Eddie said. If you look at some of the sponsors archives and people who post updates of those sponsors strains then you can sort of get an idea on some strains growth... But even that isn't totally reliable due to genetics. Hope that makes sense but I could see how it may make no sense at all ("60 percent of the time it works all the time..." -anchor man quote ;) )