PDA

View Full Version : customizing an aqua-tech HOB filter

MazDiscus
10-20-2015, 11:23 PM
Hey guys, I was at PETCO today and couldn't resist the dollar per gallon sale and got a new 55G and wanna prepare it for 5-6 fish. To keep the costs down I wanna use an old 30-60 aqua-tech HOB filter, I know that aqua-tech filters are not very efficient, but I can remove the cartridges that come with the filter and fill the filter with ceramic rings instead, and install a sponge pre-filter on the intake. Do you think with these changes it will provide good biological filter? I also have some unused k1 media that I can make a DIY fluidized bed filter out of that if it is necessary. Please let me know your ideas. Cheers :)

FishFanMan
10-20-2015, 11:31 PM
If you do 75% daily WCs, then it might be ok. You need to measure your params to make sure though.

Eddie
10-21-2015, 03:42 AM
You could use it and supplement with a sponge filter.

MazDiscus
10-21-2015, 05:28 PM
You could use it and supplement with a sponge filter. Thanks for your help. Do you think a DIY bottle filter with 1 liter of k1 media cannot do the job? I can get the sponge filter, but I am trying to use the unused stuff that I have.

FishFanMan
10-21-2015, 10:52 PM
I think it depends on your goal. Will it a BB tank? Are you looking to lengthening your WC frequency? What other fish do you see in the tank? Testing water params is the only way you will know. IMHO, if are doing daily large WC then might be ok. If it's twice a week WC, then probably not.

Eddie
10-21-2015, 11:54 PM
Thanks for your help. Do you think a DIY bottle filter with 1 liter of k1 media cannot do the job? I can get the sponge filter, but I am trying to use the unused stuff that I have.

Whatever works best for you.

orchidmaster
10-22-2015, 12:03 AM
New to the forum and don't know how to post questions yet. Apologies for barging in on anyones thread. Anyone using Fluval peat balls for adjusting pH and softening water. Any downsides besides the tannins coloring the water a bit yellowish? Seems like adding Discus Buffer might be adding a chemical soup of phosphates. Comments greatly appreciated and eagerly awIted. Thanks.

Eddie
10-22-2015, 12:07 AM
Lol, definitely barging. One of the mods can move your post to create a thread. You want to create a new thread in the water works section.

orchidmaster
10-22-2015, 12:10 AM
Thank you