PDA

View Full Version : Mag Pump sucking air

Jack L
10-29-2015, 10:13 PM
came home to plugged floss which left the 3rd chamber in the sump very low so the pump was as sucking air.

is that bad for the pump?

rickztahone
10-29-2015, 10:41 PM
came home to plugged floss which left the 3rd chamber in the sump very low so the pump was as sucking air.

is that bad for the pump?

Yes, depending on how long it was running dry. Was it hot to the touch when you found it? How is it working now? Always keep a backup bump for a situation when one craps out. I have 2 backups for my current Eheim sump pump just in case ;)

Jack L
10-29-2015, 11:05 PM
Yes, depending on how long it was running dry. Was it hot to the touch when you found it? How is it working now? Always keep a backup bump for a situation when one craps out. I have 2 backups for my current Eheim sump pump just in case ;)

i didn't touch it, but it was running that way for a few hours.

it wasn't running completely dry, it was just sucking air in as water was low and it turned the returns into aerators.

it is running fine now

it is just a magnet that sits in the chamber, and the motor has no moving parts, so i was wondering if it would get hurt.

a backup is a good idea.

rickztahone
10-29-2015, 11:36 PM
i didn't touch it, but it was running that way for a few hours.

it wasn't running completely dry, it was just sucking air in as water was low and it turned the returns into aerators.

it is running fine now

it is just a magnet that sits in the chamber, and the motor has no moving parts, so i was wondering if it would get hurt.

a backup is a good idea.

You should be fine so long as it was getting some water. Either way, a backup is a definite must IMHO

Second Hand Pat
10-29-2015, 11:38 PM
It should be fine. I have done that before with no issues. Note that the pump was sitting in water but sucking air.
Pat