PDA

View Full Version : What area of SoCal are you from?

rickztahone
10-29-2015, 08:53 PM
Hello all! Please post where you are located in the greater SoCal area and I will update the OP to reflect this :)

I'll start

-Ricardo (rickztahone) from Pacoima in the San Fernando Valley
-Al Castro (alcastro) from Hawthorne
-Chad (Chad Hughes) from San Diego
-Spike Cover (Spike Cover) Mission Viejo
-Tony (MKD) Garden Grove
-Walter (wdeleon01) Glendale
-Joseph (Joseph.FK) Long Beach
-Gino (DiscusGino) Aneheim
-Jackson (blackone100) IE San Bernardino
-Isaac (Isaac1) Moorpark Ventura County
-David (discus626) Los Angeles
-Joe (113iokepa) Burbank
-JJ (djdirte) Cerritos
-CJ (chuckiesmalls) Long Beach

rickztahone
10-29-2015, 08:54 PM
I hope you don't mind Al, I moved your post to this thread where hopefully people will post their location :).

alcastro
10-29-2015, 10:46 PM
Well I guess I will introduce my self, AL castro at your service, I live in Hawthorne southern part of California, I have a 150 gallon tank and a few other I use to grow out fry, and yes I breed discus in small amounts.

Chad Hughes
10-29-2015, 11:16 PM
San Diego!

Spike Cover
10-30-2015, 05:17 PM
Spike Cover in Mission Viejo, CA

rickztahone
10-30-2015, 08:24 PM
Spike Cover in Mission Viejo, CA

Spike, you had a lot to do with me reaching out to start this sub-forum. I plan on starting the poll thread soon, unless you'd like to start that thread?

MKD
10-30-2015, 09:46 PM
Garden grove

wdeleon01
10-30-2015, 11:10 PM
Glendale

rickztahone
10-30-2015, 11:53 PM
Keep 'em coming guys (and ladies, I know of one...)

Joseph.FK
11-01-2015, 10:57 AM
Long Beach. This is a good things.

rickztahone
11-02-2015, 01:46 PM
Long Beach. This is a good things.

Welcome Joseph. Where are you currently getting your discus from?

Joseph.FK
11-04-2015, 04:43 PM
Hi, Rickztahone. Sorry for the late response. I am still learning about the different section of the forum. (I forget to check this section out) I am not a true discus guys yet. I was going to wait till January to order from Kenny. Main reason is that I will be out of town for 2 weeks at the end of the year. I don't feel right about leaving the new discus at home and starving them for 2 weeks. My plan is January. In the meantime, I'm just getting things ready. I'm trying to read as much as I can. The tank is ordered. I should be able to cycle the tank for 6 weeks. It sound about right.

rickztahone
11-04-2015, 11:13 PM
Hi, Rickztahone. Sorry for the late response. I am still learning about the different section of the forum. (I forget to check this section out) I am not a true discus guys yet. I was going to wait till January to order from Kenny. Main reason is that I will be out of town for 2 weeks at the end of the year. I don't feel right about leaving the new discus at home and starving them for 2 weeks. My plan is January. In the meantime, I'm just getting things ready. I'm trying to read as much as I can. The tank is ordered. I should be able to cycle the tank for 6 weeks. It sound about right.

Sounds like a good plan. Kenny is a great person to deal with. You will not be dissapointed. If you need help with anything, please let me know.

p.s., you can subscribe to this whole sub-forum if you'd like to keep up with the different threads in this section.

Joseph.FK
11-05-2015, 11:17 AM
How do you do that? I am not good with computer. I actually have to ask my daughter for help before I post first time on the forum. I guess I did not look into the 'how to' section. Ok let met look into it and subscribe. Thanks.

Joseph.FK
11-05-2015, 01:58 PM
Hey, I did it. Thanks.

rickztahone
11-05-2015, 07:44 PM
How do you do that? I am not good with computer. I actually have to ask my daughter for help before I post first time on the forum. I guess I did not look into the 'how to' section. Ok let met look into it and subscribe. Thanks.

Hey, I did it. Thanks.

I'm glad you figured it out! Now you can follow along with the sub-forum.

DiscusGino
11-06-2015, 06:35 PM
Future discus owner in Anaheim!

Any recommendations on LFS with healthy discus?

alcastro
11-06-2015, 06:38 PM

None, would best going with a sponsor here don't want to start the wrong way

Spike Cover
11-06-2015, 08:42 PM

If you have a quarantine tank, you can buy from almost anyone, i.e., you can buy cheap and take a chance of catching disease in Q. If you do not have Q, I'd recommend avoiding trans-shippers, i.e., those who buy, and get shipments, directly from the overseas suppliers. Ask me how I know this... groan. Would you believe in the under a week, 4 of the last 8 fish I bought died + plus 4 others dead that were fine before I brought in the new fish? PM me for LFS name.

Spike

rickztahone
11-06-2015, 08:58 PM

Welcome to the group Gino! As Al mentioned, I'd avoid LFS's period. We have so many sponsors here that will beat ANY LFS quality and typically at almost the same price.

You can find a list of our sponsors here:
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?42-SimplyDiscus-Sponsors

Any one of them can ship discus straight to your door :)

Please make sure you participate in our SoCal Poll :)
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?121688-SoCal-(SCDC)-Meeting-interest-poll

Spike Cover
11-06-2015, 10:26 PM
Welcome to the group Gino! As Al mentioned, I'd avoid LFS's period. We have so many sponsors here that will beat ANY LFS quality and typically at almost the same price.

You can find a list of our sponsors here:
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?42-SimplyDiscus-Sponsors

Any one of them can ship discus straight to your door :)

Please make sure you participate in our SoCal Poll :)
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?121688-SoCal-(SCDC)-Meeting-interest-poll

Don't know for sure but based on common sense, this is probably a much better suggestion.

Spike

blackone100
12-05-2015, 04:07 PM
IE san bernardino , slowly stocking the 450 gal action Jackson is the name ...peace socal discus keepers

rickztahone
12-05-2015, 07:15 PM
IE san bernardino , slowly stocking the 450 gal action Jackson is the name ...peace socal discus keepers

Welcome Jackson. That is a beast of a tank. Got any pictures?

Isaac1
01-12-2016, 04:36 PM
Moorpark . Ventura county

rickztahone
01-12-2016, 07:14 PM

Cool, Moorpark is not that far from where I live! If you ever want to come down and see 1 fish tank full of discus, let me know :)

discus626
01-12-2016, 07:18 PM
I'm David which reside in Los Angeles. I currently have 45 gals community tank, 30 gals house a bunch of turquoise juvies, and 15 gals house a pair PB. I new at Discus and a first time successful breed.

rickztahone
01-12-2016, 07:23 PM
I'm David which reside in Los Angeles. I currently have 45 gals community tank, 30 gals house a bunch of turquoise juvies, and 15 gals house a pair PB. I new at Discus and a first time successful breed.

Welcome to you as well David! I will extend the same offer I did to Isaac, if you would like to check out a full tank of discus at my house, come on over :). You guys can see my tank in my signature.

BTW, turqs are my favorite

Isaac1
01-13-2016, 12:17 AM
Cool, Moorpark is not that far from where I live! If you ever want to come down and see 1 fish tank full of discus, let me know :)

Thanks , what part of pacoima are you from ?

alcastro
01-13-2016, 01:30 AM

Welcome, AL Hawthorne

alcastro
01-13-2016, 01:31 AM

Hi David let us know if we can help

rickztahone
01-13-2016, 11:49 PM
Thanks , what part of pacoima are you from ?

streets you mean? Off the 118 Paxton. Where the 118 and 210 meet :)

Again, if you are ever around the way, give me a holler.

Isaac1
01-14-2016, 02:36 AM
streets you mean? Off the 118 Paxton. Where the 118 and 210 meet :)

Again, if you are ever around the way, give me a holler.

Your actually closer than I thought lol thanks man, when I get the chance I will let you know

113iokepa
01-19-2016, 10:21 AM
Joe (113iokepa) Burbank

113iokepa
01-19-2016, 10:25 AM
Burbank

rickztahone
01-19-2016, 01:38 PM
Joe (113iokepa) Burbank

Burbank

well, you make our group and even 12 Joe! :)

You are very close to me. If you ever want to check out some discus, just let me know.

djdirte
02-12-2016, 06:40 AM
Im from Cerritos. But my discus will be living in my office tank in Bellflower. :)

HELLO EVERYONE!!

rickztahone
02-16-2016, 03:42 PM
Im from Cerritos. But my discus will be living in my office tank in Bellflower. :)

HELLO EVERYONE!!

Cool, Cerritos isn't that far! I added you to the main list!

chuckiesmalls
03-14-2016, 01:18 PM
LONG BEACH, CALIFORNIA!!!!!!

Hello good peoples. Glad I found you guys as I am pretty new to this forum and was looking for peeps in other areas.

I just got into discus-keeping but have been working with tropical fish for about 10 years. I have a 100gallon that's been est. for about 5 years continuously. And just got my fist 6 discus within the last 6 weeks here from various LFS in the general area.

I now understand that this is not exactly the best way to go...ESPECIALLY if you ask any of the enthusiasts here. Well jeez! They are correct! My life had been in turmoil and just became happy again; all of the fish survived and are healthy, eating and seem like they are pretty in decent shape (visually, aesthetics, based on the limited knowledge I currently have).

I was thinking I could handle about 10-12 total (fully grown) for my 100g if I am going to do 2Xs WC weekly at about 25%? Opinions wanted! :D

I currently have 2 Aqualclear 110s HOB filters on my setup.

I would also love to connect with other discus keepers in my area to learn more and just be more involved in general.

If anyone has good advice on breeders, enthusiasts, etc. with good genetics in our area please drop knowledge on me. I have seen/heard great things about Kenny Discus, Hans Discus but would think that being Los Angeles...there are a TON of breeders, hobbyist and possibly GOOD retailers in our area that can help me stock my tank over time. I DO NOT mind adopting beautiful fish either! :D I am being highly selective for my last spots and want to focus on getting some BANGERS!! Nothing super specific in mind. :)

But mainly wanted introduce myself with a, 'hello, hi!' and say that I am looking forward to be a part of this thing we call...DISCUS

#discusforlife

rickztahone
03-14-2016, 08:50 PM
LONG BEACH, CALIFORNIA!!!!!!

Hello good peoples. Glad I found you guys as I am pretty new to this forum and was looking for peeps in other areas.

I just got into discus-keeping but have been working with tropical fish for about 10 years. I have a 100gallon that's been est. for about 5 years continuously. And just got my fist 6 discus within the last 6 weeks here from various LFS in the general area.

I now understand that this is not exactly the best way to go...ESPECIALLY if you ask any of the enthusiasts here. Well jeez! They are correct! My life had been in turmoil and just became happy again; all of the fish survived and are healthy, eating and seem like they are pretty in decent shape (visually, aesthetics, based on the limited knowledge I currently have).

I was thinking I could handle about 10-12 total (fully grown) for my 100g if I am going to do 2Xs WC weekly at about 25%? Opinions wanted! :D

I currently have 2 Aqualclear 110s HOB filters on my setup.

I would also love to connect with other discus keepers in my area to learn more and just be more involved in general.

If anyone has good advice on breeders, enthusiasts, etc. with good genetics in our area please drop knowledge on me. I have seen/heard great things about Kenny Discus, Hans Discus but would think that being Los Angeles...there are a TON of breeders, hobbyist and possibly GOOD retailers in our area that can help me stock my tank over time. I DO NOT mind adopting beautiful fish either! :D I am being highly selective for my last spots and want to focus on getting some BANGERS!! Nothing super specific in mind. :)

But mainly wanted introduce myself with a, 'hello, hi!' and say that I am looking forward to be a part of this thing we call...DISCUS

#discusforlife

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for posting in our SoCal section :).

With your 100g, I would suggest simply keeping the 6 you currently have and grow them out. Reason being, you could theoretically keep the higher amount of discus that you desire, but it will not end well with the amount of WC's you plan on doing. You would need to do at least 2 to 3 times WC's at a much higher water volume exchange, somewhere around 50-75%

As far as good local hobbyist, we have quite a few, but the sponsors are the most recommended on the forum for a reason. They have super high quality discus at reasonable prices and they ship them right to your door.

chuckiesmalls
04-15-2016, 07:39 PM
Its been one month in this hobby. Man, old me was so stupid. 2X water changes at 25%??????.. I WAS TRIPPIN I do 3-4 @ 50% now

rickztahone
04-17-2016, 03:21 PM
Its been one month in this hobby. Man, old me was so stupid. 2X water changes at 25%??????.. I WAS TRIPPIN I do 3-4 @ 50% now

I used to do 1x WC every month before I found SD. Imagine how I felt back then...

vikingz
06-04-2016, 01:58 AM
Hello

My name is David lurking here for years, which made me a Freshwater Convrt last year from Salt since 1998. Have three current setups 240, 185, and using my 55gal reef set up with MH UV light wet dry sump w/ skimmer and has a chiller too as my quarantine tank (would never in a million yrs seen that happening just a few yrs ago).

Live in Corona Ca currently but raised in Bellflower area so I travel all across the area. Very familiar with all the local stores Tongs in FV, 405 in HB, Brea Tropical Fish, Jan's in Upland, CK fish world in Covina, Reef tropical fish in Anaheim and Tropical Fish in Garden Grove its not pretty but he has over 100 5"-6" discus at all times.

Would love to split Kenny's shipping fee with someone every time.

rickztahone
06-04-2016, 09:59 AM
Welcome to the forum! I know a lot of reefers in the Corona area. Glad you made the switch

Jnewin
06-23-2016, 08:52 PM
Hi y'all still new to the forum and discus keeping but it's so fun and addicting already. My names Justin and I stay in San Bernardino, would love to get together with anyone in the area or maybe some suggestions of breeders or good shops with decent prices in the area!

rickztahone
06-23-2016, 09:49 PM
Hello Justin and welcome to SD and to our SoCal group! There are many sponsors here who could provide you with top quality discus

Goldfishman2014
09-06-2016, 03:51 PM
Hi All,

I am from Simi Valley. Relatively new to discus, but a breeder of goldfish.

rickztahone
09-22-2016, 11:47 AM
Hi All,

You are super close to me. I am Pacoima. Nice to meet you :)

alcastro
09-23-2016, 12:49 AM
Hi All,

Hi, i am in Hawthorne, welcome.

binhdo
10-16-2016, 02:21 AM
Hello everyone,
I'm from Garden Grove :D

I just start breeding discus again after 5 years.
I have 2 pairs and 400 fry's from 2 months to 2 weeks now.

CliffsDiscus
10-16-2016, 08:03 PM
Hello everyone,
I'm from Garden Grove :D

I just start breeding discus again after 5 years.
I have 2 pairs and 400 fry's from 2 months to 2 weeks now.

Got any pictures of the fry and breeding pairs.

Cliff

binhdo
10-19-2016, 05:31 PM
Hi Ciff, I just upload my discus on youtube, I have also breeding betta fish :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0CJFoRkzKI

rickztahone
10-19-2016, 07:29 PM
Very nice!

CliffsDiscus
10-19-2016, 10:38 PM
Bindho, outstanding job, the fry appear active and very healthy.

Cliff

binhdo
10-20-2016, 01:36 AM
They're laying eggs right now :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxQmnDvSQho

Guppy
11-08-2016, 07:41 PM
I'm from Alhambra (SAN Gabriel Valley)

Lido
01-19-2017, 10:50 PM
Garden Grove

rickztahone
01-20-2017, 02:39 AM
Welcome all! Did any of you make it to the meet over at Uncle Sams?

Steve_Carey
10-24-2017, 01:13 AM
This thread doesn't seem very active. But I will post something anyway. I am new here. Live in the City of Orange. I do not have any Discus at the moment. Been keeping saltwater and reef tanks off and on for 12+ years. Hope to get some discus set up next year.

Steve_Carey
10-24-2017, 01:15 AM
Hello all, I live in the City of Orange. Hope to get to know some of you here. No discus yet.

cactusboy
07-22-2019, 07:34 PM
Gerald
I'm in Rainbow. Next to Temecula

ccc
11-28-2019, 01:34 PM
Good morning SoCal discus keepers. I'm up the coast a bit from you in San Luis Obispo County, but I hope you'll let me join in your reindeer games. I'm 50 years old and kept discus and angels quite a bit years ago. I'm just now getting back into the hobby after about 17 years away from it. I'm especially interested in wilds and wild crosses. Feel free to message me.

Scott