PDA

View Full Version : advice for a newbie

Emma’s Discus
11-04-2015, 04:58 AM
hi newbie here :) ive kept tropical fish for 10 years on and off, moved into a big house last year and currently keep an axolotl (far from tropical I know) but im planning on getting a 250litre 55gallon fishtank, boyu I think its called? and im wanting to keep some discus. ive done some research and think ill be ok with 4-6 discus in that size ? im wanting juvies..... I know they can be hard work, so how many water changes would you do for 250litre? 30percent daily or could I get away with a bigger change every other day which would suit my lifestyle a bit better. cycling the tank when I finally get it is it the same as cycling other tropical tanks???? do bigger tanks take longer to cycle? also the flilter on the boyu is rubbish for discus so will be getting an external one can anyone recommend one? how many heaters and what watts do I need for that size tank. tia :) x

John_Nicholson
11-04-2015, 09:20 AM
Plane and simple. If you go bare bottom and feed correctly do a 50% water change daily and your fish will thrive.

-john

Debow
11-04-2015, 10:36 AM
Plane and simple. If you go bare bottom and feed correctly do a 50% water change daily and your fish will thrive.

-john

^^^:thumbsup:^^^

Boyd Luth
11-07-2015, 09:58 AM
Welcome :-) best advice....read, read, read, research, and finally use the Search Engine on SD. Use our Sponsor Section, and be very, very patient. All your answers lie within this forum :-) 3-5 watts per gallon for heater size, have a back up heater, and controller if able.....

briztoon
11-07-2015, 05:36 PM
I'm not familiar with the brand of tank. Personally I would look for a good quality second hand tank at a reasonable price. Also buy as big as you can afford and fit in to your house. Sump filtration is the best, but if you can't do a sump, I'm a big fan of Eheim canister filters.

As for advice on keepers Discus, watch this video. It covers everything you need to know to start with Discus.
https://youtu.be/VXe3VKh7qF8?t=2m30s

Quintin
11-07-2015, 06:54 PM
Boyu is ok.quite good