PDA

View Full Version : Heckel on PH7

Filip Zebec
11-04-2015, 05:10 PM
Hi ,

i thinking to buy Heckels. But i have doubts keeping them on high pH.

i Have ph 7.

What is consequences keeping them in long term on high Ph ?

warblad79
11-04-2015, 07:49 PM
I have kept my Heckels with my domestic and the PH probably between 7-7.4, they are doing just fine but make sure aged your water and should be stable otherwise your PH will crash. I do 50%-80% water change daily and seems to be happy and eating well.

Jack L
11-04-2015, 08:16 PM
Hi ,

i thinking to buy Heckels. But i have doubts keeping them on high pH.

i Have ph 7.

What is consequences keeping them in long term on high Ph ?

7 is neutral ph

jawfish
11-05-2015, 01:07 AM
Well everything is relative Jack L for a fish that comes from an environment where the PH is around 4-4.5...7 is quite high :D yes on the PH scale 7 is neutral ;)

Filip Zebec: The question is do you want them to live or thrive. I've spent the last couple of months reading through the 10 pages of this section. One thing that does pop up is that they really seem to have better colors at a low PH. Plus we all know now that most Heckels breed at a very low PH... this tells us a lot. One variant doesn't and that's the *Rio Abacaxis. They come from waters of a higher ph.

The answer to your question is yes they can live in a ph of 7... for many years... I've kept heckel 10 years ago in such water for a few years.

My new batch will be kept in a PH of 4-4.5... why ? Because tgats the water they come from . I want to grow them out and try to have them breed when they mature. For that I need them to thrive.

Cheers
Fred

Filip Zebec
11-05-2015, 03:57 AM
jawfish your answer is that i know, but i need confirmation. i will take 12 Wild Blue .

thanks all

jmf3460
11-05-2015, 09:10 AM
i have wild greens at 7.6 no issues at all

Second Hand Pat
11-05-2015, 09:17 AM
Heckels are different. I agree with Fred that a lower ph is best for the fish. :)
Pat

Jack L
11-05-2015, 09:04 PM
Well everything is relative Jack L for a fish that comes from an environment where the PH is around 4-4.5...7 is quite high :D yes on the PH scale 7 is neutral ;)

Filip Zebec: The question is do you want them to live or thrive. I've spent the last couple of months reading through the 10 pages of this section. One thing that does pop up is that they really seem to have better colors at a low PH. Plus we all know now that most Heckels breed at a very low PH... this tells us a lot. One variant doesn't and that's the *Rio Abacaxis. They come from waters of a higher ph.

The answer to your question is yes they can live in a ph of 7... for many years... I've kept heckel 10 years ago in such water for a few years.

My new batch will be kept in a PH of 4-4.5... why ? Because tgats the water they come from . I want to grow them out and try to have them breed when they mature. For that I need them to thrive.

Cheers
Fred

yeah 4 to 7 big difference. i didn't realize they came from such a low pH