PDA

View Full Version : A way to tell male/female discus

mkng07
11-06-2015, 03:40 PM
I came across an article that states that depending on the shape of the anal/bottom fin, you can tell what sex discus are. I don't have any full grown or mated pairs to compare this to. I'm curious to know how accurate this is.

91713 91714

mollyb
11-06-2015, 03:50 PM
just another piece of the puzzle, wouldn't say it is 100%, but it is a good place to start, IMHO. Of course, it depends on age and health of fish. Even experienced observers can get fooled occasionally. I have, many times. Watching a female lay eggs is usually a good way to decide the females, but the males can get tricky. I have had at least a few female/female 'pairs' that I didn't discover for some time.

mkng07
11-06-2015, 04:42 PM
just another piece of the puzzle, wouldn't say it is 100%, but it is a good place to start, IMHO. Of course, it depends on age and health of fish. Even experienced observers can get fooled occasionally. I have, many times. Watching a female lay eggs is usually a good way to decide the females, but the males can get tricky. I have had at least a few female/female 'pairs' that I didn't discover for some time.

The foolproof way of course would be to observe them when they are breeding. I guess the purpose of this post was to get feed back from people that do have sexed discus to use this as a guideline and see how accurate it would be.

John_Nicholson
11-06-2015, 05:12 PM
I get so tired of seeing that damned picture. True is it works sometimes just like everything else.

-john

Rudustin
11-06-2015, 07:12 PM
I get so tired of seeing that damned picture. True is it works sometimes just like everything else.

-johnI'm with you John! Rufus

pastry
11-06-2015, 07:32 PM
Seriously, until you see their ding dangs and notice which dang is doing the eggs, you won't know.

Akili
11-06-2015, 07:50 PM
Seriously, until you see their ding dangs and notice which dang is doing the eggs, you won't know.
Nothing more to add that sums it up.

rickztahone
11-06-2015, 09:04 PM
If it was only that simple....

pastry
11-06-2015, 09:27 PM
If it was only that simple....

Rick, you don't believe in the "ding dang" method? :p

Akili,

Thanks ;) By the way, love the Colin Powell quote.

Skip
11-06-2015, 09:40 PM
Andrew Soh.. Said at NADA.. Best way to sex fish.. Is it chop off the head. Cut it open and look at reproductive system.. , "Chop, Cut method!"

Jason.M
11-06-2015, 09:52 PM
I'm guessing with discus(don't really know, haven't kept them yet) they are like a lot of monomorphic cichlids and fish. Best way to sex them is patience and catching them in the act. I've only been a member here a few months and I've seen this pic brought up a few times already.

pastry
11-06-2015, 10:02 PM
Andrew Soh.. Said at NADA.. Best way to sex fish.. Is it chop off the head. Cut it open and look at reproductive system.. , "Chop, Cut method!"

Well, at least I heard they taste like flounder :D. Wouldn't let any go to waste

mkng07
11-06-2015, 10:16 PM
haha you guys crack me up :D

I guess I'll just have to wait until my discus to pair up to figure out whose who. Until then, I hope they don't mind if I give them uni-sex names lol

rickztahone
11-06-2015, 11:01 PM
Rick, you don't believe in the "ding dang" method? :p

Akili,

Thanks ;) By the way, love the Colin Powell quote.

lol, yeah, I think your method is on the nose. The OP one is the one I didn't believe in ;)

Boyd Luth
11-07-2015, 09:50 AM
hhhhmmmmm.....I just spot them, hippy-happy, and know one may be male, the other female :-)