PDA

View Full Version : Discus beginner questions

MichaelL
11-13-2015, 08:31 AM
Hi, I have just purchased a 62 US gallon tank and am interested in getting discus. I am wanting to use this as a show tank and would like to have bottom dwellers and a group of tetras. Originally I was wanting to get 3/4 discus, 1/2 Angel fish , a couple of rams / cockatoo cichlids, some corys and a group of tetras. But after a bit of research i have realised that discus like larger groups so am thinking about a group of 5/6 for this tank? Before I set up the tank next month I want to get as much information as possible so would like to ask a few questions.

1) With this being a display tank how many “other” fish would I be able to add to this tank with a group of 5/6 discus? Would I be able to have 5 discus or does it have to be 6?
2) After the tank has been cycled would it best to add the discus first or the other fish? I have a 17Gal QT tank that I will be using if I am going to be adding fish to the tank after the discus.
3) The fish I have been researching and looking at for adding to this tank are Angels, Rams, Cockatoo Cichlids, Corys, Cardinal tetras, harlequin rasbora and plecos (BN and L46) what would yous think is a good mix for this size of tank and amount of discus.
Thanks

Second Hand Pat
11-13-2015, 08:39 AM
Hi Michael and welcome to Simply. I think you are looking that a discus only tank due to the water volume. What is the footprint of your tank?
Pat

MichaelL
11-13-2015, 08:55 AM
Thanks for the reply im not 100% sure but having a quick look im pretty sure its the 48"x15"x20"

John_Nicholson
11-13-2015, 09:13 AM
Your tank is probably going to be a little on the small side but still doable if you are willing to do the needed water changes. You would also need to buy young adult discus. Trying to grow out discus in that environment normally ends poorly.

-john

MichaelL
11-13-2015, 09:28 AM
Your tank is probably going to be a little on the small side but still doable if you are willing to do the needed water changes. You would also need to buy young adult discus. Trying to grow out discus in that environment normally ends poorly.

-john

Thanks for the reply, WC's are not a problem as this tank is going to be my pride and joy, due to living in scotland there isnt many places to buy good quality discus, but a shop an hours drive away gets some smaller discus from hongkong and are very good stock. would i be able to raise these smaller fish in the tank if i went barebottom and grew them up abit and then later on down the line plant and scape the tank?

Filip
11-13-2015, 10:06 AM
would i be able to raise these smaller fish in the tank if i went barebottom and grew them up abit and then later on down the line plant and scape the tank?

This would be your most successful and stress-free scenario IMO if starting with smaller discus.
"A bit" part of the story should translate to at least 4-5 months Bb tank with daily large WCs and 4-5 times daily feeding.

After this period since you will already have true pride and joy discus, you can add sand,plants and other fish with proper 6 week Qt.

P.S. If discus are very small, you can buy 8-9 and as they grow you can select pick to proceed with 5-6 favorites of them, and give away the least desirable ones.

Good luck.

MichaelL
11-13-2015, 10:37 AM
This would be your most successful and stress-free scenario IMO if starting with smaller discus.
"A bit" part of the story should translate to at least 4-5 months Bb tank with daily large WCs and 4-5 times daily feeding.

After this period since you will already have true pride and joy discus, you can add sand,plants and other fish with proper 6 week Qt.

P.S. If discus are very small, you can buy 8-9 and as they grow you can select pick to proceed with 5-6 favorites of them, and give away the least desirable ones.

Good luck.

okay thanks, at a guess i think my LFS gets them in around 2-3"

John_Nicholson
11-13-2015, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the reply, WC's are not a problem as this tank is going to be my pride and joy, due to living in scotland there isnt many places to buy good quality discus, but a shop an hours drive away gets some smaller discus from hongkong and are very good stock. would i be able to raise these smaller fish in the tank if i went barebottom and grew them up abit and then later on down the line plant and scape the tank?

Yep. Paint the outside bottom of the tank or tape paper under it so the fish do not try to swim through the bottom. Change water daily and in a year make it a planted tank.

Good luck.

-john

Filip
11-13-2015, 10:43 AM
okay thanks, at a guess i think my LFS gets them in around 2-3"

Yes usually that's the selling size of Discus found most oftenly in LFS.
Probably cause of their high price, most people asks for smaller/smallest discus on market.

rickztahone
11-13-2015, 01:29 PM
I'd sway you against LFS purchase. I am not sure which state you are in, but any one of our sponsors can get discus right to your doorstep. You'd be miles ahead of any LFS quality discus.

MichaelL
11-13-2015, 02:34 PM
I live in the north of Scotland so most UK breeders dont ship this far north, I wouldn't buy from any of the pet shop chains around here but a small locally ran fish store gets his discus from hongkong and they seem to be very healthy fish and by speaking to people who have got some of his discus before they seem to be better quality then any of the chain shops

rickztahone
11-13-2015, 02:42 PM
I live in the north of Scotland so most UK breeders to ship this far north, I wouldn't buy from any of the pet shop chains around here but a small locally ran fish store gets his discus from hongkong and they seek to be very healthy fish and by speaking to people who have got some of his discus before they seem to be better quality then any of the chain shops

My apologies, I didn't see your location the first time around.