PDA

View Full Version : Use of Melafix and Pimafix with Discus

mkelly66
11-17-2015, 12:31 PM
I am new to keeping discus, and was wondering what peoples feelings are on the use of Melafix and pimafix with Discus. I have used it in the past with my other fish with great success.

pitdogg2
11-17-2015, 12:37 PM
junk toss it out......

Skip
11-17-2015, 02:08 PM
junk.. you wasted your money..

GrayLadyPat
11-17-2015, 08:22 PM
^What they said....

But, I'lll expand a bit... Both of those products are mostly geared to sell to novice aquarists who don't have the time or resources to research their fish issues and treat accordingly. If your fish are having specific problems, throwing a general "cure all" into the tank won't accomplish anything except separating you from your money.

Think of it this way:
You go to your doctor with the flu, and instead of prescribing you a targeted antibiotic, he gives you a bag of mixed low dose meds that may or may not be specific to your problem. Some of them may actually make you sicker so that you have to return and spend more money.

I have to ask, what is going on with your aquarium that you feel the need to use those products? There may be better solutions.

Pardal
11-17-2015, 08:40 PM
Melafix and Pimafix is definitely no for discus, however is not necessarily bad . I had use it with great results in "plecos" and corys.
As they are more sensitive to many of discus medications.

Julian

Jack L
11-17-2015, 11:27 PM
I know people that have gotten results. some people just like the nuke option for step 1 and hate more "natural" cures.

but in anycase, you can make your own for a TON less money then what you will be the 99% water emulsified with 1% oil mix. just google DIY mela and pima fix

and in anyanycase, discus are tougher than other fish, good water and they can tough out stuff that kills cheapo fish.

Discus Junkie
09-24-2016, 04:05 PM
I know this post is a year old but I figured I would post so others might get some information on it rather than dismiss it.

I didn't think it was a miracle cure but put some mela/pima into a tank because one of the fish had some scrapes. Well I had cyanobacteria in this tank really bad. I didn't think it would work on cyanobacteria. Well next day I go back and it was all gone. Couldn't believe what I was seeing. Just like that it was gone , I have to say I'm a believer now. I had tried maracyn and that didn't work.

bluelagoon
09-25-2016, 11:21 AM
There is info here.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_tree_oil

Jack L
09-26-2016, 08:33 PM
I know this post is a year old but I figured I would post so others might get some information on it rather than dismiss it.

I didn't think it was a miracle cure but put some mela/pima into a tank because one of the fish had some scrapes. Well I had cyanobacteria in this tank really bad. I didn't think it would work on cyanobacteria. Well next day I go back and it was all gone. Couldn't believe what I was seeing. Just like that it was gone , I have to say I'm a believer now. I had tried maracyn and that didn't work.

TFS, will try to remember for next time I have cyano problem