PDA

View Full Version : How to stop bullying?

mattyhombre
11-22-2015, 12:47 PM
Hi,

I have this blue leopard (ungendered) that keeps pushing my san merah (ungendered) on the back side of the tank all the time. They are about the same size (4"). But this San Merah is the newest addition to my tank. I have 6 discus and only this blue leopard keeps bullying my san merah.

What to do? Thanks!

discuspaul
11-22-2015, 02:33 PM
It's not unusual for the 'new kid on the block' to be bullied to some extent by one or more of your earlier discus.
Normally, it's not that severe, in terms of life-threatening to the one being bullied, and the aggressive behavior should alleviate, or dissipate to some extent with time.
Not much you can do to stop it altogether - but you might consider adding a few more discus if your tank size permits enlarging the group.
Isolating the bully elsewhere for a time doesn't do much good if any - the behavior usually resumes when the bully is moved back with the group.
Best of luck to you

pastry
11-22-2015, 03:04 PM
Just let it play out. Over time you'll see bullies become bullied and weaklings become tyrants and two females mating... They're just like us humans ;). Just leave them alone and enjoy the show

mattyhombre
11-24-2015, 12:45 AM
Thank you so much for your replies. So far all is well now, the bully still keep pushing the new one quite sometime now. =)

DISCUS STU
11-25-2015, 04:52 PM
This may occur more intensely for the first few days and then taper off but never disappear entirely.

It's usually not a tremendous issue unless it's affecting or stressing the fish on the receiving end to the point that it affects its' health or seriously preventing it from taking nourishment, which is also stressful.

John_Nicholson
11-26-2015, 09:29 AM
It is perfectly natural in the animal world. It is how things are supposed to go. Only us humans think it is wrong...LOL. Lik was said above it should work its way out.

Good luck.

-john

Cullymoto
11-28-2015, 12:45 AM
as mentioned above, it's usually not of a concern. I have a big guy that gets bullied a lot, he's a big red spotted green that gets picked on by everyone... To the point he stopped eating for a while.
I isolated him into qt as he wasn't looking healthy anymore and, after two weeks of daily 100% we + food is eating well and is back in with the mean kids.
This time around he isn't letting their bullying stop him from getting diner, .