PDA

View Full Version : Background for a red turq tank - clear???

Dizcuz
11-25-2015, 10:04 PM
I have a square tank with red turqs. The background is blue on only one side but the fish's blues blend into it and it the fish don't look so good. I can go black but worry it will darken the fish. Anyone go all clear? Does it make the fish look better? I have some fake plants and driftwood in there. Thanks :bandana:

Altum Nut
11-25-2015, 10:16 PM
IMO...the proper spectrum lighting with show any true vibrant colors.
White background is another option.
Would love to see a photo where others can comment on additional suggestions.

...Ralph

rickztahone
11-25-2015, 11:21 PM
You are referring to the outside background right? Is it the stick on kind? If so, you can remove that and put a lighter color. One of my favorites is the frosted film they sell at Lowes or Home Depot. If you ever change your mind you can just remove it.

krislewis3
11-27-2015, 02:58 PM
Ive tried all of the internal 3-d backgrounds etc...but found that it was difficult to clean behind them. After trying all the backgrounds (internal and outside the tank that I liked, I decided that I much preferred NO background at all. It gives the illusion of a more spacious tank, and also, a much cleaner tank. It's not for everyone, but you might give it a try...it could surprise you, as it did me! Kris

navarro1950
11-27-2015, 06:52 PM
Don't use BLACK . It will cause your fish to start peppering .

Akili
11-27-2015, 07:39 PM
Don't use BLACK . It will cause your fish to start peppering .Red turquoise to pepper like pigeon bloods ?????

discuspaul
11-27-2015, 07:45 PM
Just another opinion here, but after trying many different colored backgrounds for discus tanks, I've found that variegated pattern fish, like red turqs or snakeskins, as examples, look best with just about any medium to darkish colored background (including dark blue or black) if the substrate is very light-coloured, e.g. white.

krislewis3
11-28-2015, 01:50 PM

Sorry for the poor quality of the photo, but this is my tank without any background!

DC Discus
11-29-2015, 03:06 AM
I recently put on frosted window film on the back of my display tank. It picks the wall color, but mutes it nicely. Usually I paint a light blue color on all sides, but the front. I found juveniles hid more when the bottom was painted black.

Cheers,
DC