PDA

View Full Version : Discus Pairing !!!

Riaz
12-05-2015, 06:17 PM
Hey Guys ....
I have simple question Can Discus Make Pair with another type of discus ...
I think maybe I can say it Cross Pairing ....
Hope u get my question

Thanks
Riaz

Kyla
12-05-2015, 07:08 PM
the different colour strains of discus can breed with each other. but if u r planning to raise the babies its a good idea to match ur colours up with like-colours, or at least u may want to avoid breeding pigeon blood with non pigeon blood (discus without black bars with discus that have black bars) because crossing these two varieties can lead to pepperring in the offspring (black speckles on te discus)

Riaz
12-06-2015, 07:01 AM
yes I am planning to raise the babies ... I have Five Marlboro Red Discus , 1 Red Melon, 1 BLUE TURQUOISE & 1 Yellow Discus .
Thanks Kyla for Reply .

fishguy456
12-06-2015, 09:40 AM
IMO the marlboro and red melons should be fine to cross, but definitely wait for a more respected response as I have not personaly breed any discus. But am interested in starting to :)

John_Nicholson
12-07-2015, 09:37 AM
The latest DNA studies seem to show that their are really only two types of discus. You have all wilds other than heckels. Then you have heckels. They are a sub-species of the other. I am amazed that people have pushed all of these "different"species of discus doen out throats. Think of them as horses. Is a sorrel colored horse a different species from a bay horse? a paint horse? a grey horse?...no they are all the same species, just different colors. In reality discus are the same way. Now if you want to have nice babies to sell you need to pair them up in a reasonable manner. First rule is do not cross PB's with non-PB's.

-john

DISCUS STU
12-09-2015, 05:11 PM
The answer is yes, as with people, cats, dogs, etc. All are basically the same species with slight variations.

As for the PB crossed with non PB this was the result of mixing a Red Mellon with Red Turquoise (related strain).

Riaz
12-12-2015, 04:32 AM
Thanks You Guys I Got the Point now :)

Jat
12-18-2015, 04:51 PM
That's peppering

luyisamor
12-28-2015, 05:18 AM
Hi, i am new here. sorry to use your thread.

however, can i ask if the discus is already pair. can i repair them with another discus. so that it will not be like the picture shown on top with peppering.

thanks.

SNap0283
12-28-2015, 10:08 AM
Yes, discus do not form a bond for life. You can re-pair them to a more favorable mix

MD.David
12-28-2015, 07:58 PM
I pair discus all the time, no such thing as "paired for life", once a male and female feel comfortable with each other and temperature swings along with the ph, this will trigger breeding behaviour and if you have a mature male and female in a breeding tank alone and they feel safe they will usually spawn.
The only pair I couldn't get to spawn was two males, but they did try, but after two months I switched them up to only verify they were two males. Because we all know no babies come out of two males... Did I ever feel silly on that one... But I did take them a pair them with females and bang, the wigglers showed up.

luyisamor
12-29-2015, 04:32 AM
I pair discus all the time, no such thing as "paired for life", once a male and female feel comfortable with each other and temperature swings along with the ph, this will trigger breeding behaviour and if you have a mature male and female in a breeding tank alone and they feel safe they will usually spawn.
The only pair I couldn't get to spawn was two males, but they did try, but after two months I switched them up to only verify they were two males. Because we all know no babies come out of two males... Did I ever feel silly on that one... But I did take them a pair them with females and bang, the wigglers showed up.

thanks david and 0283.

how do you know if the 2 discus is male? how big then i can identifity if the discus is male or female?

thanks.

DISCUS STU
12-30-2015, 01:11 PM
There's no good way to determine the sex of the fish; forehead humps and other unreliable means aside, other than viewing their breeding tubes as they are mating and eggs are being laid down. Shorter, more squat looking for the females, longer more pointed for the male.

I always used to think to think the so-called "streamers" trailing from the back edge of the dorsal fin, when this is present, indicated a male but I've been told otherwise. The ones I've mated as males have had this present though not the females.

MD.David
01-07-2016, 12:02 AM
How was your pairing going?