PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question - Please Help

Old Timer
12-08-2015, 04:59 AM
Hi,
I have a question and I know I haven't been around due to personal reasons but I'll be around much more. After many years I got back into fish and being a Rookie I have a 55 gal tank that's overstocked and have 4 Discus in it. Now to my surprise there doing fine but it's just a matter of time as they grow I will have problem and don't want these beautiful creatures to die. I have them in a 36.5x15x24 which was custom made for the spot I needed and I call it a 55 gal but I believe it's a 58 as someone has mention.

The tank is not long enough and I have another custom tank coming Dec 29th which is 48x14x20 that's also 58 gal for the spot I need. Just don't have any place for a 100 g or else I would be there. anyway I'm moving the 4 discus to the new tank and was going to have 7-9 Sterbai Cories with them and wanted a small school of a tetra but thought better of it and just go with the Discu and Cories. Now finally to my question can I get another discu for the 48" tank something the same size of course.

I would say three of the Discus I have are 3.5" and one is about 3" if not 3.5 also. so can someone please tell me if 5 would be to many. I have them since August and their's people who can't believe there doing that well. WC's good diet with the best food I can get. Thanks for your time and hoping to talk more about the king. To tell the truth I'm over-matched but gaining quickly by reading every day and asking question from the experts like yourself.

Thanks.

Second Hand Pat
12-08-2015, 10:14 AM
Paul, I deleted your other thread and changed the title on this one. How are the four discus you have getting along? If they are getting along fine I would not add a fifth discus. Adding one discus to an existing group can subject the new discus to a lot of stress plus it would need to be QTed etc.
Pat

strawberryblonde
12-08-2015, 12:44 PM
Hi Paul!

I'd do as Pat suggests and not add another discus so long as the ones you have are getting along well together and no one is getting bullied constantly.

I can understand the space issue in your home. I have only one space suitable for a main display tank and it can only handle a 48" wide tank. I got very lucky and found a 115g tank on craigslist a few years ago. It's 48"x18"x32". I know you might have space issues with height as well which is what's limiting the size of your tank, so if that's the best size for you, your plan to only have cories and discus in the tank sounds perfect.

Old Timer
12-08-2015, 03:04 PM
Thanks for your replies and as far as the four Discus 95% of the time they get along outstanding but once in a while the Blue and the orange give the yellow a hard time and then I swear there's a time or two that the orange would bother the yellow and the Blue would chase the orange away. But overall they get along very well and soon they will have more room. Let me mention again that I have them since August and two times the yellow will stay in the tall plants and not come out to eat and then later on Him/her will be swimming with her mates.

It bothers me when He/She does that she looks great but thinking she's a little stressed. Yellow and orange sleep together almost every night. She loves her cucumber and algae wafers and gets right in there late at night with the cories. Starting to reduced stock tomorrow by re-homing (real rookie mistake) and hopefully that may ease her up although it's only been twice that she didn't come up to eat and usually she's right in the mix not afraid to get hers. I watched very closely.

Thanks again and I'm open for any advice and constructive criticism and I say thank you the well being of my fish and animals always come first not my feelings. I'm if I may say so an expert on cats and slowly soaking up everything I can on the Discus.

PS: Thanks for deleting the other one and changing the title appreciate that.

Old Timer
12-08-2015, 11:40 PM
After giving it much thought I way over my head with Discus I do a lot of charity work with Cats in that area I'm considered an expert in this area of the beautiful Discus I'm just a rookie and believe with all my heart everything that lives deserves the best possible life.

So with that said if anyone here is from Las Vegas I have 4 beautiful Discus if you like more information just ask they are sale I have receipts that I paid and willing to give you a price that you'll be very happy with I promise you that. To the Mods if I broke any rules I'm sorry I'm just want to get the beautiful creatures somewhere they will be happy. there all 3.5" but I think the snakeskin maybe a 1/4" smaller and they get along.

Second Hand Pat
12-09-2015, 10:00 AM
Hi Paul, best place to sell your discus here on the forum is in the Buy/Sell/Trade section of the forum. Not many folks will see it here. Sounds like you do excellent work with cats.
Pat

bluelagoon
12-09-2015, 12:24 PM
Your tank size is;36.5x15x24=13140/231=56.88 gal.

Phillydubs
12-09-2015, 12:37 PM
Sorry to hear you are going to cash out Paul... But if you feel the challenge is too much and the fish will not get the care they deserve then its a smart and caring move... Maybe a tank that is lower maintenance so you can still enjoy the hobby and have time for your other passions?

That being said, if you are willing to invest the time and keep up on your water changes it can be done and I am currently doing it in a 55, my 55 is standard however, so if your length is an issue it could be a problem for the discus...

Old Timer
12-09-2015, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the Information Pat

Thanks also Blue and thanks for showing me how to calculate I was wondering how you guys did it.

Yea Philly my make-up is of a man who is pretty strong if I may say so. I beat Cancer I also just finish the Harvoni progran a few months ago and beat Hep C I'm a fighter and I'll be 66 soon and I'm in pretty good shape and don't look my age. I'm only telling you this because I don't want people thinking I'm quiting but I truly believe that everything that lives deserves the best possible life and knowing there's a better chance of these beautiful creatures being taken care of by someone who knows what there doing they will be happier and live a longer healthier lifes. I've learned so much the past few months by reading about 2/3 hours per day talking to people like you who care and have been doing this a long time. I should have done this before I set up a tank and the next one that's on order and will be here Dec 29th will be stocked properly and I'll feel better and the fish and I will both feel lucky we found each other. I know sounds silly but that's me. Doesn't mean that maybe one day I'll try again.

Thanks again.

PS: Have to add pictures so in the meantime if anyone knows someone for pick-up they will be a happy person that day meaning the price will be worth it for what they're receiving.

DonMD
12-09-2015, 06:32 PM
Hi, Paul. You might want to post your fish for sale on CraigsList, I've had good luck there. Not everyone who keeps discus is glued to this forum (although they should be LOL). Good luck!

Old Timer
12-09-2015, 09:22 PM
thanks Don,
I looked at craigslist and didn't see anything about fish. It was a quick glance so I'll go back and look for hobbies or related to what I'm looking to do.

Thanks Again, OT

Old Timer
12-14-2015, 05:07 AM
Can't believe I have 4 beautiful Discus and willing to let them go for $120 and nobody wants them. No Shipping have to be in Las Vegas and can check them out.
I see a buy page but I don't know how to get my offer on there.

Thanks