PDA

View Full Version : Researching my dream tank: is a 4 foot tank reasonable for a group of grown Discus?

MattArmstrong
12-12-2015, 09:17 PM
I've got a noob question for the forum that I haven't seen directly answered elsewhere. I'll start with my question, then follow it up with the forum's questionnaire.

Is a 4 foot tank a suitable "lifetime home" for a group of Discus?

I have four feet to work with. So many forum pictures are of people who just got their young fish and, say, have them in their 55 for grow out -- it has hard to judge what full grown discus look like in a 4 foot tank.

If my goal is to raise some large-ish sub-adult or semi-adult discus (at least 4") to adulthood in one tank. Is 7-8 in a 75G really viable? Would going up to a 90G (same tank footprint, 4" taller) be better for that 7-8, and even let me go up to 9 fish? What about a 100G 48" W x 24" D x 20" H or even the standard 120G high?

Going from that 75G all the way to the 120G is a big jump, mainly in terms of the impact it has on our relatively small living area. I'd love first hand accounts of people housing Discus long term in this range of tanks.

If four feet is suboptimal, I'd love to know that now! I can pick a different thing to house in my tank...

Okay, now for that questionnaire....

1) Please Introduce your self

I'm Matt, have had tanks on and off since I was in 6th grade. I've got an art piece on my bathroom wall I did in 6th grade depicting a neon tetra -- it got "Honorable Mention" at the school art show displayed at the local mall. :) A few years later I went on to volunteer at the local fish store, helped people by bagging fish and being that "know it all" kid telling people about how to cycle their tank, etc.

Now I'm in my mid 40s and have kept tanks maybe 5 years total as an adult. I've got a 48G rimless filled with small fish that has been set up one year. I've always kept small tetras, barbs, corydoras, etc. This tank has taught me the quarantine lesson in a big way. Impulse purchases leading to Ich breakouts, etc.

I've always wanted to keep a Discus tank and am figuring out if now is the time!

2) If you have no previous experience with keeping discus, have you done any research to properly prepare yourself

I am reading everything I can here. Lots of great stuff. It is even entertaining to read old flame wars. ;-)

3) Describe your tank

No Discus tank yet. That is the primary question. Shooting for 100-120 gallons.

4) Describe the décor for the tank

Bare bottom, Discus focused. Contents limited to driftwood with stuff like anubias growing on it, but I won't start with that.

5) Describe your water changes planned or practiced, percentage and how often. Include if you age your water and use of tap/RO or mix.

I have "Seattle, WA" water, which comes from reservoirs directly fed from snow runoff. It is soft: out of tap hardness is 2 GH and 1 KH, PH settles near 7. Weak chlorine treatment.

This being a "dream" tank, I want to set up some sort of automated water change system to supplement the usual water changes. Honestly, I want this to reduce the damage done by "life happening" and a water changes being skipped. If I don't do that, I want to at least plumb together something that makes water changes significantly easier than with my current tank. I currently drag a 36 gallon trash can on wheels out in front of the tank for 24H to age before my weekly 50% water change -- that won't fly for daily or bi-daily changes.

6) Describe the type of filtration planned/used for the tank; sponge, HOB and/or sump. Also include the other equipment you are, or will be, using in your tank, e.g. heater, lighting, etc.

Undecided. With respect to choosing a tank, I think the only decision I need to make early is sump or no sump.

7) If the tank is already setup and running, include the water parameters;

As stated earlier, my Seattle tap water tends to give me:

PH 6.5-7ish
KH 0-2 dGH
GH 2 dGH

Some people and fish stores around my area throw crushed coral into their tanks even for traditionally "soft water" tropicals. The low KH means PH crash is a common issue for people around here, especially for novices, and especially for planted tanks where the plants consume the carbons in the KH and leave the water with very little buffering. I suspect that with the water changes required for Discus this will not be a problem.

8) Describe your current or planned stocking levels; number/size of discus and number/type of dither fish. Where did you get your discus from or do you have a proposed source for getting your discus?

I'd like to fishless cycle then fully stock from one source, Discus only, 4" or larger.

Hans/Stendker fish what I've been considering. I like the more "classic" and "wild-like" strains Stendker sells. If there are other sellers that do this too, I'd like to know!

9) Describe your planned or existing feeding regimen. Include what and how often you are feeding on a daily basis.

No idea. I'll spend $$ on prepared foods before I'll spend time preparing something home brew. Being vegetarian, the idea of chopping up beef heart and shrimp is not appealing.

10) What are your goals in this hobby? For example are you looking to keep discus in a planted community tank, or do you hope to become a hobby breeder of Discus? Do you want to raise Discus with the hopes of competing in shows?

A stable tank full of beautiful adult Discus fish. I'd like it to look nice. The tank will be in a high traffic area (kitchen, dining room). I'd like them to be okay with that, and even come to activity at their tank in anticipation of food. Not interested in raising fry, showing my fish, etc.

strawberryblonde
12-12-2015, 10:50 PM
A 4' space works nicely for a discus tank.

I have a spot between the breakfast bar in my kitchen, the entry way to the dining room and the path to the family room. It's 4'6", so I found a 120g high on craigslist a few years ago.

I've raised several batches of discus in it over the years. No problems with it, other than the fact that even with my long arms it's a pain to reach the bottom. LOL

The best setup I had for it was with a 55g spare tank that I used for a sump. It added about 35 gallons of extra water to the tank and made filtration, hiding equipment and cleaning the tank extremely easy. So yep, definitely think about adding a sump.

Altum Nut
12-12-2015, 10:55 PM
Hello Matt and welcome back to SD. Even after 10 yrs. the itch remains in our blood and glad your back.
I'll be short and sweet....
- You purposed 4ft foot-print is perfectly fine. If your going with 7-8 x 4 inch Discus a 75g would be fine until full adults stage at 12 to 18 months and then jumping them to a 90g or 120g should give them plenty of room to be happy. Having an extra tank may be useful and comes handy when in need.
- Not much has changed with the required maintenance...plenty of clean water, tank wipe-downs and regular filter cleaning.
- Your water appears fine. You can add Discus essentials but don't think you need it for 4 inch Discus.
- There are plenty of quality high protein prepared foods on the market today...seeing that you want to stay away from any homemade recipes. Here is one option most Discus take too like candy....http://www.aquaticsuppliers.com/Freeze-dried-foods_c2.htm
- Most important of all to avoid initial problems is to start off with quality Discus...your already ahead of the game with your choice from one of our many sponsors.
- As for sumps...I would plan for one but not really a necessity for your final tank set-up which offers more water volume and aids in water quality if you miss a w/c but will never replace a w/c.
- Many hobbyist tend to get away from aging water with success but would highly recommend it as most municipalities offer no warning when tampering with water service work that leaves us to scratching our heads when one or more Discus get sick or die.
I'm sure others will chime in with what works for them but in the meantime read some more and hope you enjoy the ride.

...Ralph

MattArmstrong
12-12-2015, 11:44 PM
A 4' space works nicely for a discus tank.

Thanks, good to hear (about the sump too...). Your space was 4' 6". Mine is 4' exactly. I suspect the stand for a 4' tank is going to overlap a bit with a door jam.

Hello Matt and welcome back to SD. Even after 10 yrs. the itch remains in our blood and glad your back.

Heh, I had forgotten about my prior posts here. I think after considering Discus, I went with an African Cichlid tank way back then.

- You purposed 4ft foot-print is perfectly fine. If your going with 7-8 x 4 inch Discus a 75g would be fine until full adults stage at 12 to 18 months and then jumping them to a 90g or 120g should give them plenty of room to be happy. Having an extra tank may be useful and comes handy when in need.

This is the crux of my conundrum. Many say X or Y gallons is enough to grow them out until they are this or that size.

Unfortunately I have no space for a secondary 75G tank, even in storage. Best I can do is a 29G. So, I will want to start with the tank I'll end up with.

I hear younger discus do well in more crowded conditions. Would it be worth artificially crowding them within a bigger tank with a divider or matten filter, until they're grown?

Thanks for you opinions on food, sumps, and ageing water, too.

Of course, my other option is to pick a smaller fish. I like Corydoras and in the space a 120G tall takes up I could have a whole breeding rack with 6 or 9 10G tanks. ;-)

Jack L
12-13-2015, 12:03 AM
long time ago, i raised 15 or so in a 110 high, it worked out fine.
Ds seem to hoover up and down more then cruise the length of the tank anyway.

after having a sump in my current tank, i doubt i would ever consider doing a tank w/o a sump. you get extra water volume and i don't have to see any gear in display tank. sump was a little tricky at first, but fine once you get the hang of it.

WC, i didn't want to drill through floor and walls, so i just use a barrel in basement to age water, and i use a sump pump to get it up to the tank. works find and is out of the way.

food, seems like there are plenty of prepared food available now compared to 20 years ago. for now i still do BH mix, but its such a mess, i'm not sure why i do it. i guess because i know it works, and they eat it up. they won't eat NFS for me, and i never got around to starving them to tell.

welcome, there is a lot of good info on board.