PDA

View Full Version : Canister filter setup

Adam_Parker
12-16-2015, 12:48 AM
Hey everyone. I just purchased my first canister filter, an Aquatop CF400UV. It has 4 layers for different media and a UV lamp. Not certain what the UV does exactly. I know aquatop isn't a premium choice but it had great reviews, fit in our budget, and I've had great experience with our aquatop 200w heater.

So now my question is how would you set this up media wise? Our tank is a 125 long. I have a penguin bio wheel 350 filter on the left side of the tank with 4 of the regular blue cartridges in them. On the right side of the tank, I have an Emperor 400. It has 2 blue cartridges, and the 2 grey baskets are filled with Fluval Bio Max.

I was thinking filter floss, more Bio Max or ceramic rings, bio balls or scrub pads, and maybe Seachem matrix? Not sure if this is a good setup or what order they should go. Any tips before it comes in would be appreciated!

Jack L
12-16-2015, 01:36 AM
i've tried so many things....from empty canister, to just floss, to cut up drinking straws, bioballs, on and on i can't remember them all.... most recently two sizes of matrix (in a sump not a can)

what i've found is they all do the same thing, i never found one to be better than the other. some clog faster, but that is it....BUT the one thing i noticed....fancier names seems to impact the thickness of my wallet more while doing the same thing to my tanks.

when last researched this topic it seems like marketing over science.

if you're watching spend, do what is cheapest and just practice good husbandry with WC and regular maintenance.

Braydon00
12-16-2015, 02:42 PM
I had the same canister as you do. I stopped using it, not because it wasnt working though. I prefer HOBs over canisters, I noticed I cleaned the HOB way more often than the bulky canister. That being said I did like mine very much. I had course, medium, and fine foams with 2 layers of ceramic sticks on top. Worked well for me.

Adam_Parker
12-18-2015, 12:06 PM
Ok so out shopping today and getting some media.

I'm thinking the 4 layers I'll use are:
Mechanical coarse pads 1st
Marineland ceramic rings (just bought) 2nd
Pot scrubbers 3rd

Can't decide on something like polyfill or seachem matrix for the last tray? Thanks!

Jack L
12-18-2015, 06:01 PM
polyfill will clog before matrix, but matrix did not yet met my expectations and it is NOT cheap.

have a look at pinky floss, it is dual layer, i prefer it over quiltbalt

but...i might consider purigen, that actually does seem to help, and it will run a while. not sure how it would be in a can though