PDA

View Full Version : Reasons for repeat hex infections

klannin
12-19-2015, 03:42 PM
I am on my third round of metro, treating two of my discus. One has bloat and the other was presenting with decreased appetite and string poops. So I threw them both in qt together.

I am confused because I did a 7 day metro treatment on the entire tank a month and a half ago.

I'm suspecting my angel fish or plecos may be carriers and reinfecting the discus. Is this a valid concern?

I feel like I take good care of my fish, and practice the best husbandry I can but these guys are making me crazy.

Thanks for getting to the end of my rant!

Filip
12-21-2015, 05:14 PM
i used to have repeated Hex ,HITH,HLLE infections and white stringy poop on discuc when i kept them in a bad water conditions .
It was a planted substrate overcrowded tank and i did WCs only once or twice a week .
I think bad water conditions are to blame for repeated Hex infections.
P.S. On a side note . When you treat with metro you should go for at least 10 days, preferably 14 days of treatment .
This way youll be sure to completly erradicate the infection and prevent from cominng back with a vengance as a resistant type of parasite.

jimg
12-21-2015, 06:54 PM
most of the time when they get to the white feces point it is too late. try to medicate them once, if it comes back, which it usually does, cull them. if I have a discus with white feces in the compost it goes.

matlo
01-15-2016, 05:32 PM
ive actually treated with eSHA labs (hexamita) several discues with that, with great success. White feces, not eating etc(this was due to my own inexperience with discus). But its always been with Stendker discus from germany which is known to tolerate much.

anyway, if u have an expensive discus try to treat it, u have nothing to lose.