PDA

View Full Version : canister filter question

monching
12-25-2015, 08:39 PM
I've noticed that my canister filter is not performing as it used to or should I say not as strong as before(GPH wise). So I cleaned it thinking that it just needs cleaning but it still runs weak. If I test the canister head in my sink, water flow is strong and no problem but if I put it back on its housing same thing happens, still weak in terms of water flow. Thinking again that it's due to the media I put in, I took all the media out and test it with no media in its housing but find it still weak. Checked the hoses for blocks and all but hoses are okay. Anyone here encountered the same problem? What do you think is the cause?
Inputs will be highly appreciated.

Thanks and God bless,
Ramon

BrandyK
12-25-2015, 09:00 PM
Did you check the impeller?

Rudustin
12-25-2015, 11:44 PM
Did you check the impeller?
That was my question also. Impeller might be too loose and you might need a new one.

monching
12-26-2015, 11:00 AM
yes I did and it's okay, like I said if I run it in the sink out of its housing , it runs strong but once you put it in its housing and run it, it's weak with or without the media.

Jack L
12-26-2015, 11:21 AM
prefilter plugged?
quick shutoff valves out of place?

monching
12-26-2015, 02:53 PM
prefilter plugged?
quick shutoff valves out of place?

Can't seem to find the problem man, like what I've said if I run it in my sink with just the head, it's fine and run strong but when I put it back in its housing it runs weak. Well it does run but not as strong as it used to. I'm going to pull it out and will try to run it using just a pail of water and we'll see.

wild4discus
12-27-2015, 02:42 AM
How old is your filter and what brand is it?

afriend
12-27-2015, 08:26 AM
Perhaps air trapped in the hose or in the canister?

Paul

Akili
12-27-2015, 09:22 AM
yes I did and it's okay, like I said if I run it in the sink out of its housing , it runs strong but once you put it in its housing and run it, it's weak with or without the media.Try raising it,maybe head height is more than its capacity at the tank.

monching
12-28-2015, 09:08 AM
Try raising it,maybe head height is more than its capacity at the tank.
It's a canister filter bro. With a flow rate supposedly at 320 gal./hour designed to be inside the tank stand. It was working pretty strong for about 8 months before I noticed the difference. I already pulled it out and would open ang check it thoroughly to find out what's wrong with it.

monching
12-28-2015, 09:16 AM
How old is your filter and what brand is it?

About 9 months old and it's a Jebao 404

monching
12-28-2015, 09:19 AM
Perhaps air trapped in the hose or in the canister?

Paul

Will it affect the power? I have not consider this as a problem and did not noticed if there is, will look into it man.
Thanks

afriend
12-28-2015, 10:50 AM
What I suspect is happening is air trapped in the intake line.

I have this problem whenever I set up my QT tank that uses a Magnum 350 canister (operates on same principle as Jebao 404). The way I get it to work properly is to lift it up (while it's operating) and allow it to clear the air out of the lines. Then it works fine. Depending on your setup, you might not be able to do it this way.

Hope this helps.

Paul

tvoydan
01-13-2016, 04:15 PM
I noticed my Penn Plax Cascade 1500 canister filter flow has slowed down some in it's first year. Have 2 of them and they both slowed down. A friend also has 2 and I noticed his slowed down too. I was thinking of buying a replacement motor assembly and seeing if my flow rate goes back up or maybe a new impeller.

Took one apart last time I clean the canister and didn't see anything obvious that would have caused the slowdown.