PDA

View Full Version : fishless cycle question- seachem stability vs tetra safe start?

jared.emmanuel
12-26-2015, 10:40 AM
Hi guys i want to do a fishless cycle but unclear which product to use, seachem stability or tetra safe start? and do i need to use ammonia to feed these 'bottle bacteria' ? i have not never done this so need some advice .

MendoMan
12-26-2015, 02:52 PM
I don't really know which is better. I've done fish less without anything except Ace ammonia. You will need to add ammonia to feed the bacteria. Study up there's excellent articles online, stay away from the ones trying to sell a product.

Tshethar
12-26-2015, 03:03 PM
Not necessary to add anything other than ammonia (Ace janitorial strength pure ammonia--no additives or surfactants), but either of the products you mention will significantly speed up the process--(days instead of weeks.) If you search old threads you'll find ammonia dosing recommendations (you'll want a test kit)... You can use an eye dropper to get to about 3ppm...

Akili
12-26-2015, 03:30 PM
Follow this thread to CYCLING THE AQUARIUM, hope this helps http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?86009-Beginner-s-Guide-to-Getting-Started-with-Discus

pitdogg2
12-27-2015, 01:00 PM
Dr. Tim's is the only one to use IMHO. I've used it in new tank added fish same day no problems. No spikes no death's wonderful stuff.

jared.emmanuel
12-28-2015, 05:12 AM
thanks guys for all the info ive decided to do a fishless cycle

GivensOU
12-28-2015, 09:32 AM
My 150 gallon aquarium broke one night, and in the process destroyed my filter. Discus spent the night in buckets, next morning I went out bought a new aquarium and filter. I bought fluval biological enhancer, and never had a problem. Also, I did very large water changes daily for a couple weeks.

I hope this is helpful.

Thanks,
Tim