PDA

View Full Version : Establishing and maintaining a stable low pH

Martin_NC
12-27-2015, 10:38 PM
I am new to keeping fish and discus. Started a new 60 gallon tank in July, and got a couple of Discus from Petco in September and both seem healthy and feed well. However my pH is running at 7.8-8.0. I do a 25% water change at least 2 times a week, with 75% tap water and 25% R/O water. I use R/O water to reduce the KH and GH of the tap water. However I see lots of posts on forums where people say there pH is at around 7.0-7.4. I want to ask how people achieve and maintain these levels. Before I got the Discuss I tried 100% R/O water and could achieve a specific pH with alkaline and acid buffers, but the pH just goes back to 7.8-8.0 after a while because the CO2 evaporates. So do you continually add acid buffer or use Co2 injection?

This is my first post so here is my tank questionnaire:

1) Started keeping fish in July this year. Now have two freshwater tanks of 60 and 38 gallons. Have read a lot about keeping fish and discuss and understand water parameters. In the 60 gallon tank: 2 Discuss, 3 silver dollars, a dwarf gourami, 3 panda corrys, and a bristlenose pleco. In the 38 gallon tank: 1 Gold gourami, 4 red-eye tetras, 1 pearl danio, 3 sterbai corrys, and a bristlenose pleco. Too many rash buys in there (learning a lot from that and thereupon for the second tank) and plan to move the silver dollars from the 60 to the 38 and probably move the tetras in the opposite direction.

2) Started keeping 2 discuss in September. Have read the stickies on the forum.

3) Tank is 48 wide, 12 back to front, at 24 high.

4) Tank has a sand bottom, a 3D rock face backing, wood, stones and plants (whatever is left which the silver dollars have not demolished). Lighting is LED in a hood but just ordered marineland LED lighting for aquatic plants.

5) I change 15-16 gallons (around 25%) at least twice a week, sometimes three times. 10 gallons I mature in an unused tank with a heater and aqua clear filter running, 75% tap water, 25% R/O water. The other 5 gallons I create 6-8 hours before the change, and bubble it with a bubbler, also 75% tap water and 25% R/O water. Condition all water with seachem prime.

6) Currently using a penguin 350 HOB filter, standard filters. In process of changing to an Aqua clear 110 based on recommendations on this forum. Have the Aqua clear sponge in the bottom of my tank and the top of the filter media sitting in one of the wheel spaces of the penguin. Will leave it like that for at least 2 weeks before switching. Will monitor water parameters closely during this process and probably use seachem prime if readings get problematic.

7) If the tank is already setup and running, include the water parameters;

- temp _____82

- tank ph _____7.8-8.0

- Ph of the water straight out of your tap _____8.2 (after cycling)

- ammonia reading ____0

- nitrite reading ____0

- nitrate reading ____5 ppm

- well water ____yes

- municipal water ____no

8) Currently have 2 Discuss which are going strong strong after 3 months. Once I get my new Aqua clear filter fully cycled and running I plan to get 4 more. May ask petco to get me the types I want or buy online - open to advice (I have a very good petco which I use). Also in the tank I plan corrys and places, but probably no others.

9) Morning: quality flakes dropped directly into the tank, and then same flakes and some veggie flakes presoaked for at least 5 mins. and poured into both sides of the tank.
Evening: quality flakes dropped directly into the tank, and then same flakes and some veggie flakes presoaked for at least 5 mins (but only half as much in the morning) plus some defrosted frozen blood worms

10) I want to keep discuss in a planted community aquarium. No desire to breed or show, just enjoy seeing them in my own tank.

Keith Perkins
12-27-2015, 11:26 PM
The vast majority of people who report having pH from 7.0 - 7.4 have that to begin with, or at least after having aged it for 24 hours. Getting your pH down is completely unnecessary and trying to do so is likely to do for harm than good. A good consistent pH, regardless of what it is, is what discus really prefer. Many of us have things like 44 gallon brute trash cans that we age water in and treat with nothing more than a heater and water agitation (air pump or power head, your choice).

You should seriously consider checking out the sponsors here for quality discus. Petco from my limited experience with them can be a real crap shoot. Do a little reading on diet too, your discus are eating a lot of fish candy (bloodworms).

Rudustin
12-27-2015, 11:59 PM
The vast majority of people who report having pH from 7.0 - 7.4 have that to begin with, or at least after having aged it for 24 hours. Getting your pH down is completely unnecessary and trying to do so is likely to do for harm than good. A good consistent pH, regardless of what it is, is what discus really prefer. Many of us have things like 44 gallon brute trash cans that we age water in and treat with nothing more than a heater and water agitation (air pump or power head, your choice).

You should seriously consider checking out the sponsors here for quality discus. Petco from my limited experience with them can be a real crap shoot. Do a little reading on diet too, your discus are eating a lot of fish candy (bloodworms).
This is a very sensible answer. Lowered PH is rarely an issue unless you intend to breed discus. Local fish stores rarely carry quality discus so a more reliable provider such as the sponsors on this forum would be a better start. There are a number of fish pellets and freeze dried food such as freeze dried black worms that would give a more meaningful diet to your discus. And of course do as much reading on this site as you can because there are so many answers to your questions. Water changes by the way have to be more frequent for discus more than many other fish. Good luck.

Martin_NC
12-28-2015, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the responses. Guess you are telling me that my pH is fine, as long as it is consistent, I need to do more water changes, improve what I feed them, and buy new stock from online providers who sponsor this site. All taken on board and will implement. Thank you.

DISCUS STU
12-28-2015, 03:46 PM
I've never had an issue with increases in ph, even sudden ones from a water change.

Trying to maintain low ph, again not necessary, can lead to drastic ph crashes and that can seriously and permanently injure Discus and their gills. Higher, stable ph's are better. That way there's also some room for the ph to decrease without causing harm or injury to the fish.

DonMD
12-28-2015, 06:39 PM
Thanks for the responses. Guess you are telling me that my pH is fine, as long as it is consistent, I need to do more water changes, improve what I feed them, and buy new stock from online providers who sponsor this site. All taken on board and will implement. Thank you.

I started out in the hobby buying fish from a local fish store. It can be good, and it can be bad. In my opinion, if your fish are doing OK, then I'd say you lucked out. The other responders are correct in counseling you that specific pH really isn't the issue. The issue is water quality, consistency in temperature and pH, and frequent water changes, which is helped by obtaining a water storage barrel where you can collect, heat and aerate the water.

My only caution would be to quarantine any new fish you want to add to your system. If your fish are healthy, then importing fish from other sources can definitely throw you a huge curve ball. Good luck, and keep us posted on how you're doing. -Don