PDA

View Full Version : newbie question

luyisamor
12-28-2015, 05:31 AM
I have been reading alot about discus and the main thing is to make sure that the water is clean.

there are alot of people that say needed to do a wc every week like 50%.

however, my question is do i need to clean my filter every week too ?

appreciate.

thanks.

briztoon
12-28-2015, 07:13 AM
If you are buying young discus to grow out, you will need to do more than 50% once a week. If you are buying full grown adult discus, you might get away with 50% once a depending on stocking levels, tank size, etc.

Can't help you with your question in regards to filters. I only have sponge filters and do daily water changes. I do squeeze out my sponge filters once a week and give them a good scrub in tank water.

luyisamor
12-28-2015, 09:09 AM
If you are buying young discus to grow out, you will need to do more than 50% once a week. If you are buying full grown adult discus, you might get away with 50% once a depending on stocking levels, tank size, etc.

Can't help you with your question in regards to filters. I only have sponge filters and do daily water changes. I do squeeze out my sponge filters once a week and give them a good scrub in tank water.

thank for your advice. currently i have only 2 discus about 2". however, currently 1 of the discus is in hospital tank.

saw some white spot on the tail and fin cramp. so far so good. left the white spot only. but does not know why it is not eating. sign.

the other 1 in the main tank is doing great. eating and swimming around freely. haha.

thanks.

John_Nicholson
12-28-2015, 10:40 AM
You need to do about 50% a day............not a week.

-john

luyisamor
12-29-2015, 04:27 AM
You need to do about 50% a day............not a week.

-john

how long do i need to do before i can do it on a weekly base.

i will do a 50% wc today.

thanks.

fishguy456
12-30-2015, 11:01 AM
how long do i need to do before i can do it on a weekly base.

i will do a 50% wc today.

thanks.

The least ive heard for adult discus is 50-70% 3 times a week... not once a week

John_Nicholson
12-30-2015, 11:14 AM
Discus always require clean water. When they are young you see the results of dirty water because they either stunt or die. When they are adults the issues are harder to see since they are not growing. As adults you do not have to feed as much and this does help the water quality. While I still do 50% or greater wc's on all of my tanks I would say you can start to cut back once they reach their adult size. This will be between 9 and 18 months depending on the genetics of the fish.

-john

luyisamor
12-30-2015, 11:28 AM
thanks for the advice.

so far i only have 2 discus about 2". i guess i will have to proper feed and take care till the grow into adult size.

how big then will consider as adult?

i have 2 Cory and 2 Mini cory. is there any issue?

John_Nicholson
12-30-2015, 11:35 AM
I want my adults at at least 6 inches but I see lots posted on here that are maybe 5 inches at best.

-john