PDA

View Full Version : AQUATOP-PF40-UV Hang on Filter with UV Sterilization

Rakolde
12-31-2015, 05:58 AM
Has anyone used this filter? I'm thinking of buying one and making it a purigen filter in my 90gallon. I want the added feature of a UV sterilizer to keep my tank as clear as possible but i'm not sure the uv will even do anything at only 7-watts. Would it be better just to find a high capacity HOB filter to hold 300-400ml of purigen and buy a uv sterilizer seperate? I don't want a canister filter for purigen only, I was thinking HOB since the purigen would be much easier to recharge/replace. Any suggestions would appreciated!

jmf3460
01-05-2016, 11:09 AM
I can no tell you how terrible my aquatop HOB filter is. I bought the PF60 version of them, and I hate it. it has two plugs which is a nuisance, the filter itself is crap and the replacement filters are expensive and cheaply made. I run mine on a 20L and the filtration is minimal for this tank when the filter is rated for up to 60gallons. the water that trickles out of it so slowly is pitiful. You can adjust the outflow but even at the greatest flow its still weak as all get out. Also when the outflow is turned all the way up, half the water comes out of the intake side never being filtered at all. Don't get me wrong for my 20gallon tiny tank it works fine but I could not see it for a 60gallon tank at all.

Rakolde
01-05-2016, 06:54 PM
Thanks for you're reply, I found a few reviews also that say aquatop is garbage. I'm planning on buying an aquaclear 110 for purigen use, then buying a coralife turbo-twist 12x - 36watt UV sterilizer.

jmf3460
01-05-2016, 07:11 PM
IMHO if you keep up with your water changes you shouldn't need a UV, but yes aquaclear is wayyyy better than aquatop. why is it that you think you will need the UV?

Rakolde
01-05-2016, 07:19 PM
I just want the absolute best water I can provide at any given time, I know water changes mean everything to discus but the UV would just help even more. I also get big algae blooms and the UV would put an end to that. Also the added benifit of removing free floating bacterias and some parasites and super clear water.