PDA

View Full Version : Fist time caring for Discus and need help

Mustanggtandgsxr
01-08-2016, 04:05 PM
Hello,

I have a 125 gallon glass tank with 3 Discus, 10 Neon Tetras, 10 Cory Cats, and 2 Gold Skirt Tetras. the Discus were purchased from a very reputable breeder in town. The acclimation process took and hr to do as instructed by the breeder. 2-Marineland Emperors 400 and a Magnum 350 Canister. In the emperors I have blue carbon cartriges and poly fiber floss in the grey media containers and in the canister I have the micro polishing filter. My water is fine(0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, 5 Nitrate, PH 7.6, temp 84-86), and I have been doing 50% WC(do I have to do that many, a 125 gal is not easy to do) every other day, and also picking up the poo and fish food with a battery powered gravel vac everyday. I will be getting 3 more discus by end of the month. I just purchased the discus this past Saturday and they are very shy and when the light come on they hide. They are still their color but darker since the move. one of them has the black stripes, that I was told were stress. I want to make sure I am doing everything correct. They are eating some. I feed them 3 times a day, and I just drop the food where they are and they get it once I leave the room. Otherwise they seem healthy. What do you all recommend or advise me to do to get them happy and colorful again. Thanks

any help and advise is appreciated.

Mustanggtandgsxr
01-08-2016, 04:27 PM
forgot to mention my water changes are with a python and I match the temp of the water coming from the sink to the temp in the tank. then I add Prime for the whole tank as soon as it starts to fill.

Akili
01-08-2016, 04:34 PM
Always quarantine new arrivals for at least for six weeks.

Mustanggtandgsxr
01-08-2016, 05:04 PM
not the question I asked but ill keep that in mind. Is that all your helpful with? I would appreciated it if you stayed away from my post if your not going to contribute more. Thanks

Discus-n00b
01-08-2016, 05:27 PM
Tony, quarantine is a very commonly recommended and smartly practiced step here on the forums. It just assures you of not introducing anything nasty into your nice show tank at home, even some nasties can unintentionally slip past good care. It's a good way for you to protect your discus investments when introducing new fish is all. I don't think it was meant to cause any offence or ill will toward you/your post. Some people may not feel fully comfortable advising more than what they post.

Did you cycle the tank to start? I will assume you have and just didn't list it in the post as you seem to be diligent in checking your water and have even posted a picture/values to show that instead of just saying it's all good. Just want to rule out things that could stress a fish. Otherwise I'd say you seem to be on track. It could just be they are still getting settled. If they are actually taking food then that is a good thing. Is it the light that triggers them being spooked or are they like this all the time? Have you noticed them coming out more when the lights are off? Perhaps there is some way you can dim the light or diffuse the light so that it may not be as bright right away?

Nice looking clean tank by the way!

Mustanggtandgsxr
01-08-2016, 06:27 PM
Hi Discus-n00b and thanks for the in-depth explanation of quarantine.

Yes the tank has been cycled. It was set up in November and I did a fish in cycle with mollies and tetras.

I don't think its the lights that spook them, as much as me being in the room. When the lights are off, and someone walks in the room, they will hide in the back corner. If I sneak around and take a peek without them seeing me, I can see them in the front of the tank swimming up and down. I have left the lights off for a few days, but I need to start turning them on for the plants. I have 2-36" Marineland LED lights. Specs are: 120 Volts, 60Hz, Brightness 468 Lumens, Light Appearance 7800K which is a little more than half between warm and cool. Just trying to give as much info as possible.

Mustanggtandgsxr
01-08-2016, 06:31 PM
And thanks for the compliment!

Mustanggtandgsxr
01-08-2016, 06:35 PM
I also forgot to mention that I have been doing 50% water changes every other day. I would like to cut back on this to about 2 times a week and maybe even once a week. Tank is big and it takes me almost an hr. to let it drain and fill up. I slowly fill the tank so that any changes in the water don't happen too fast.

Pardal
01-08-2016, 08:41 PM
Your tank looks very clean and well take care.
The first thing is remember discus are very social fish you need a minimum of 6 at once, I personally like 9. I know there are no cheap, but sometimes is better to wait and purchase all them at once.
In your tank you can have up to 12 adults no problem.
First your tank needs a back ground sooner the better. I will put a temporary cloth or plastic outside until you find one you like.
If you move the plants and wood to the back is better sort of pushing the fish to the front per say.
The reasoning behind is you create a hide place the fish will hide.
I notice you have two fish that look about 2.5 to 3 inches fish. ( small fish are better in bare bottom, they need a lot of Food with a lot of WC to grow well.
I will recommend for you to save some money. and purchase at least 4.5 or bigger for that tank. And move the smaller ones to a grow out tank bare bottom.
The stress bars are going to be present in some fish. In a group of fish they will always be a hierarchy and the underdogs will most likel had the stress bar showing more than the Alpha's.
When you get adults , always put your heater horizontally , female could burn their reproductive tube if they decide to spawn.
Neon's won't do well at the higher temperatures of Discus.
This is what I can see in a quick look to the tank.

Also, watch the video in the beginners section. Don't feel bad for I have fish all my life and Discus for about 12 years and I watched to compare notes.
In addition also always, always quarantine even when you purchase from the same supplier.

Altum Nut
01-08-2016, 09:12 PM
Julian appears to have typed faster but here is my 2 cents...

Welcome to SD Tony and to the world of Discus.
Although it's not a rule but Discus do better in a larger group e.g. 5-6 or more...but clearly understand that they are expensive and see that your going to get another 3. Although you may be getting them from the same source it's good practice as others have mentioned to quarantine before adding them to your current group in your 125g. This procedure and recommendation has been proven which is why it's being suggested time and time again on this forum.

The other advise I can offer is that straight tap water in general and more so during winter months contain micro-bubbles which adherer's to Discus slime coat and causes it to shed off. This protective coat is crucial and therefore susceptible to problems once stripped off. If your going this route without aging water...more smaller w/c will be best.

In closing...your question was aimed as a first time discus keeper that is looking for help.
I suggest asking all the questions at will...but at times different suggestions are offered because everyone's water or methods varies with what works best for them.

Good luck and remember to make it enjoyable and not a chore.

...Ralph

Kyla
01-08-2016, 09:49 PM
can u describe your water change process? do u use buckets or a python etc to drain and fill ur tank? where is ur tank located (eg basement? near a drain? near a sink?)

im asking because ppl here may be able to help u figure out a faster or more efficient method.

Altum Nut
01-08-2016, 10:00 PM
can u describe your water change process? do u use buckets or a python etc to drain and fill ur tank? where is ur tank located (eg basement? near a drain? near a sink?)

im asking because ppl here may be able to help u figure out a faster or more efficient method.

Kyla...was mentioned in post 2 below that a Python is used....

forgot to mention my water changes are with a python and I match the temp of the water coming from the sink to the temp in the tank. then I add Prime for the whole tank as soon as it starts to fill.

...Ralph

Mustanggtandgsxr
01-09-2016, 02:04 AM
Hello again everyone. thanks so much for your replys. I went ahead and bought a 10 gal tank to quarantine any fish before putting them in the tank. It's bare bottom and I bought a aquaclear 20 for it and a heater. I also put one of the filters from the established tank in it so it can help cycle. Is that ok and is the 10 gal big enough? I don't have anymore room for a bigger tank. �� I will be buying one of those plastic trash cans and a heater to age my water. What type of containers are you all using to do age your water? Right now I drain my tank and refill using the python hooked up to the sink. I match the temp with a thermometer. I also left the water flow easy and slow so it doesn't cause too much change too fast. I also add prime as soon as the water starts to run in the tank.

Kyla
01-09-2016, 02:36 AM
i think this post was accidentally duplicated...

Kyla
01-09-2016, 02:40 AM
Hello again everyone. thanks so much for your replys. I went ahead and bought a 10 gal tank to quarantine any fish before putting them in the tank. It's bare bottom and I bought a aquaclear 20 for it and a heater. I also put one of the filters from the established tank in it so it can help cycle. Is that ok and is the 10 gal big enough? I don't have anymore room for a bigger tank. �� I will be buying one of those plastic trash cans and a heater to age my water. What type of containers are you all using to do age your water? Right now I drain my tank and refill using the python hooked up to the sink. I match the temp with a thermometer. I also left the water flow easy and slow so it doesn't cause too much change too fast. I also add prime as soon as the water starts to run in the tank.

i tried using a 10gal QT for a while but i found it to be too small - not enough room for fish to avoid aggression.... im usig a 27gal right now and its still small but much more manageable for me. plus it is large enough that i can divide it in half with plexiglass if needed (to make two separate holding areas).