PDA

View Full Version : One Discus not eating!

aqua-nut
01-14-2016, 10:16 PM
First, I'm new to Discus but have kept FW and reef for 40+ yrs.

I decided to try Discus, looking for a new challenge. I purchased 5 juvies from the LFS. They have been in a 20H tank for the last week while I took down a 60G planted tank and cleaned it up.

I've been doing 50% WC daily with water aged overnight. Temp has been 84-85 degrees. The tank is BB.

Four have been aggressive eaters. The only food they really like is live black worms. If it wasn't for the color and body shape, you'd think they were Piranha! ;)

The fifth fish has not gotten the 'it's OK to eat memo'. It swims over to the wriggling bunch of worms but doesn't seem to eat any.

Tonight the four eaters were moved over to their grow out tank, the 60G. I've left the non eater by itself in the 20H.

At this point I'm at a loss as to how to proceed. The lone fish does not seem to have any obvious physical issues. It swims with fins up and is active. Should I treat it? For what?

TIA for any suggestions!

Las Vegas
01-14-2016, 10:44 PM
When you purchased the discus from the LFS I'm assuming they were all in the same tank. If they all appear healthy I would keep them together. Some fish just take longer to adjust than others. And some just won't make it. Check with the LFS on warranty because if its a good LFS then they will give warranty. If it is sickly you can exchange it or get a refund. My LFS gives me 30 days sick or died with receipt or my registered cell number. I haven't had any Discus die from the LFS in the past year, but one did act like what your saying and I didn't want to take the chance past 30 days.

Phillydubs
01-14-2016, 11:02 PM
Mr Vegas is right... Add him back, doesn't sound sick just spooked and stressed. Give it time. Many discus can take days of not weeks to start eating once they are moved.

I hope you plan to up your wayer changes though. 50 a day is kinda bare minimum and you Prob woukdnt reach potential that way, especially if you are feeding as you should try to get close to 100 or double up after feedings of foul food such as BH

aqua-nut
01-18-2016, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the replies! You guys really know your stuff!

After 24 hr. in solitary, I moved the non-eater in with the other four. What do you know, it's now eating!

It is still the most timid but is getting something to eat!

The squabbling that was happening when they were in a 20H has mostly gone away in the four foot long 60G. They all swim together most of the time.