PDA

View Full Version : 25g cube grow out tank

tunerhead24
01-14-2016, 10:35 PM
I've been in the hobby for about 8 years now and i've always wanted a discus tank. Now that i have the space and time I'm going for it, lol. I originally wanted to start out with a 55g heavily planted tank with adult discus, not doing any research i went out and bought the 55g, man was i disappointed to find out it was a bad idea. Luckily the LFS that sold me the the 55g tank let me exchange it for a 90g. After two weeks of researching "planted discus tanks" I came across one of DiscusPaul's tanks on plantedtank.net. I immediately PM'ed him lol. He gave me great info and lead me on the right path (Thank you Paul). So I decided to go with my old 25g bare bottom cube as a grow out tank.

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn305/tunerhead24/IMG_8998_zps5ggf0hjq.jpg (http://s307.photobucket.com/user/tunerhead24/media/IMG_8998_zps5ggf0hjq.jpg.html)

Here's my progress so far

Day 1
set up the tank, added water and waited a day for temp to set at 84 degrees F.

Day 2
Because my canister filter hasn't been used in two years, I have to cycle the tank all over again, I added enough ammonia to bring it up to 3-4 ppm.

Day 3
Did nothing

Day 4
I got antsy and tested the ammonia, surprisingly it was at 0 ppm and nitrite also at 0 ppm. Weird right? So of course I tested nitrate and got 10ppm. Added more ammonia and raised it back up to 3-4 ppm.

Today 1/14/2016
Tested for ammonia and got a reading of 1ppm, nitrite 1ppm. will test again tomorrow.

rickztahone
01-14-2016, 10:44 PM
I commend you for researching and getting that upgraded tank. However, your grow out tank will not serve you very long. I recommend going straight to your 90g and lower the water line if you need to

tunerhead24
01-15-2016, 07:50 AM
I wouldn't be able to lower the water line in the 90g, I have a wet/dry sump and the tank isn't drilled. Wouldn't it be ok if I housed say 5-6 two inch juvies till they're about 4 inches and then throw them in the 90g?

Phillydubs
01-15-2016, 07:54 AM
I personally wouldn't do it. I've never had luck w cubes especially cubes and discus... There is nowhere for them to go, the footprint is really small.

rickztahone
01-15-2016, 10:32 PM
I wouldn't be able to lower the water line in the 90g, I have a wet/dry sump and the tank isn't drilled. Wouldn't it be ok if I housed say 5-6 two inch juvies till they're about 4 inches and then throw them in the 90g?

I personally wouldn't do it. I've never had luck w cubes especially cubes and discus... There is nowhere for them to go, the footprint is really small.

agreed. If faced with the choice of the cube, or the full 90g vs lowering the water line which you can't do. I say put them in the 90g. I raised a group of 25 in a 75g which many said would be too big. It wasn't, and my group thrived. However, can't recall how many discus you will be putting in here. If it is a group of 5 or something low like that, it may be too big.

TexMoHoosier
01-15-2016, 11:35 PM
You could lower the water in the 90, use a canister filter instead of the sump and put a divider in it to crowd them a little.

tunerhead24
01-15-2016, 11:47 PM
agreed. If faced with the choice of the cube, or the full 90g vs lowering the water line which you can't do. I say put them in the 90g. I raised a group of 25 in a 75g which many said would be too big. It wasn't, and my group thrived. However, can't recall how many discus you will be putting in here. If it is a group of 5 or something low like that, it may be too big.

I'm aiming for 6 juvies. I guess I could go with a 40g and a diy wooden stand (I've always wanted to build one).

tunerhead24
01-15-2016, 11:53 PM
Update
Checked for ammonia and got a reading of .25 ppm and a nitrite reading of 1 ppm. I'm hoping ammonia will be at 0ppm tommorow.

tunerhead24
01-16-2016, 06:27 PM
Ammonia at 0 ppm and nitrite at 0.5 ppm. The bacterial colony is growing pretty quick IMO, the last tank I cycled took about 3 weeks till I saw any changes.
Raised ammonia back up to 3-4 ppm.

rickztahone
01-16-2016, 06:44 PM
Keep at it. Another option for your tank is to lower your water level and only run sponge filters for the time being

tunerhead24
01-17-2016, 12:14 AM
Keep at it. Another option for your tank is to lower your water level and only run sponge filters for the time being

That would be a splendid idea but this a perfect excuse for me to get a 40g tank and build a stand to go with it. Plus petco has a sale on aquariums, $40 for 40g tank. I haven't been this excited since the Yanks won the World Series in 09! Lol

SNap0283
01-17-2016, 05:29 PM
Could also use a tank divider in the 90. But adding another tank is always the way to go imo

tunerhead24
01-17-2016, 08:35 PM
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn305/tunerhead24/IMG_9017_zpskgoayk0g.jpg (http://s307.photobucket.com/user/tunerhead24/media/IMG_9017_zpskgoayk0g.jpg.html)

Building the stand was a little more tiring than I thought but its done. It's pretty ugly but it's in the basement with the rest of my tanks. When the canister filter on the 25g cube tank is finished cycling I'll move everything over to the 40g and retire the 25g cube.

tunerhead24
01-17-2016, 09:09 PM
update
Ammonia at 0.50 ppm and nitrite at 0.25 ppm on the 25g cube

tunerhead24
01-18-2016, 09:27 PM
Update
Ammonia at 0 ppm and nitrite 0 ppm, raised ammonia back up to 3-4 ppm.

tunerhead24
01-19-2016, 08:47 PM
Update
Ammonia 0 ppm (ammonia is being processed in 24hr) nitrite 0.25 ppm
Raised ammonia back up to 3-4 ppm.

tunerhead24
01-20-2016, 11:09 PM
Tank cycled!
Ammonia 0 ppm nitrite 0 ppm, raised back up to 3-4 ppm. I won't be 100% convinced until the tank proccesses ammonia and nitrite in 12-24 hrs for the next three days. I'm planning on buying discus next week. Maybe from discus r us or discus madness. Me and my wife want to be able to pick and choose our fish.

MattArmstrong
01-20-2016, 11:38 PM
That fishless cycle sure was short. A bit more than a week, right? Hard to argue with your test results. Did you seed the tank somehow?

I'm jealous of your basement. I wish I had a place to throw cheap tanks on ugly stands!

rickztahone
01-21-2016, 01:27 PM
I hope it was a quick cycle for you :)

tunerhead24
01-21-2016, 11:33 PM
That fishless cycle sure was short. A bit more than a week, right? Hard to argue with your test results. Did you seed the tank somehow?

I'm jealous of your basement. I wish I had a place to throw cheap tanks on ugly stands!

It took about 9-10 days, I didn't seed the filter but it did sit in my closet filled with old aquarium water from my old tank for about two years, I rinsed it out and replaced the filter media. I doubt any bacteria servived that long.

I hope it was a quick cycle for you :)

It looks like it was, ammonia and nitrite are both at 0 ppm. Raised ammonia back up to 3-4 ppm.

rickztahone
01-22-2016, 01:52 PM
It took about 9-10 days, I didn't seed the filter but it did sit in my closet filled with old aquarium water from my old tank for about two years, I rinsed it out and replaced the filter media. I doubt any bacteria servived that long.

It looks like it was, ammonia and nitrite are both at 0 ppm. Raised ammonia back up to 3-4 ppm.

That bacteria would have been dead and gone a long time ago. Not sure how you were able to just keep old stagnant water in a tank for that long without it smelling awful. My wife would have killed me if I did that.

Phillydubs
01-22-2016, 01:56 PM
So what is the plan here, to use the 40 and grow out some juvies?

I have never been to discus r us but I am dying to get over there, from what I have seen he has awesome stuff and he is a sponsor here so I am sold on that alone...

Discus madness is hit or miss and that is from both personal experience as well as reviews here... It is ultimately your call, but I would strongly suggest the sponsor route...

Orrrr.... You could make a real fun road trip out of it and head down to Hans, another journey I plan to make at some point... Although this may not be the weekend to do it!!

tunerhead24
01-22-2016, 09:00 PM
That bacteria would have been dead and gone a long time ago. Not sure how you were able to just keep old stagnant water in a tank for that long without it smelling awful. My wife would have killed me if I did that.
It wasn't a tank filled with water, it was a ehiem canister filter. It didn't stink at all but if it did my wife would of killed me too, lol.

So what is the plan here, to use the 40 and grow out some juries?

I have never been to discus r us but I am dying to get over there, from what I have seen he has awesome stuff and he is a sponsor here so I am sold on that alone...

Discus madness is hit or miss and that is from both personal experience as well as reviews here... It is ultimately your call, but I would strongly suggest the sponsor route...

Orrrr.... You could make a real fun road trip out of it and head down to Hans, another journey I plan to make at some point... Although this may not be the weekend to do it!!

Yes Phil, I'm planning on growing out juvies in the 40 gal, 6-7 maybe. I think I'd rather take the road trip to discus r us, Hans is just way too far man lol, especially with a 1 and a half year old. Would you care to to explain your experience at discus madness? I was planning on going just to take a look at his stock. thanks.

tunerhead24
01-24-2016, 12:21 AM
Tank is officially cycled! I'm debating on discus r us or Hans for our juvies , my wife is willing on a three hour road trip to Hans (she wears the pants) lol. I will be converting everything over to the 40g breeder for now and feeding the bacteria with ammonia till the following week.

tunerhead24
01-25-2016, 10:19 PM
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn305/tunerhead24/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsi2mikl5k.jpeg (http://s307.photobucket.com/user/tunerhead24/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsi2mikl5k.jpeg.html)

40gal up and running, i think the lights are little too bright. Im going to raise them a little more.

tunerhead24
02-02-2016, 10:56 PM
I've been feeding the bacteria for about a week now. I'm going to try to make an appointment with discus Hans this weekend. Trying to be as patient as possible, lol.

Phillydubs
02-03-2016, 01:17 PM
Manny,

Sorry for my delay, I didn't see that you had asked me a question ... Maybe I was too busy dreaming of a trip to Hans! Lucky man you! How quickly that plan changed! Lolol. Hope to hear a full report of that trip! Planning a possible trip in July to set up a tank for my sons room. Buttering up the wife already ;) let me know your secrets ...

My experience w madness stretches back quite a bit and when I first got into the hobby and before I even knew what this site was or bothered to even research these fish... I had many years keeping cichlids and figured they were all the same, boy was I wrong ...

Anyways... I like many who are starting want to pick their own fish and yada yada and I stumbled upon madness and figured I would take the trip... The first time I was still wet behind the ears and wasn't exactly sure what I was looking at. Let me preface by saying the man who runs the shop was very pleasant and patient with me and he gave me a bunch of info and let me browse the shop for a while no questions asked. I left there with 5 fish I believe that time , small 3-4" fish and put them in my 47 gallon weirdly shaped cube tank and changed the water once a week... You see where I am going here ... Again no issues w the place.

Once I started to learn more and was going to upgrade the tank and after a power outtage wiped those fish out ... Still being a stubborn non believer in shipping and all, hence why I am so strongly behind it now. When I went back he had some nice stuff but I noticed a lot of pitting in the head area or HITH. he was honest with me and said he had an outbreak in his central system and some were effected... I got nervous and was afraid to purchase anything and it kinda left me weary in all honesty. I get things happen and stuff goes wrong and at least he told me what it was and was upfront about it... So that's my experience there. After that I ended up getting some gorgeous fish from
Mike beals a guy who used to be on here and sell fish. His prices with shipping were less than what I would have paid there and he sent me some absolute monster fish and since then I was quite hooked and behind the shipping process and the sponsors here ...

tunerhead24
02-08-2016, 12:36 AM
Manny,

Sorry for my delay, I didn't see that you had asked me a question ... Maybe I was too busy dreaming of a trip to Hans! Lucky man you! How quickly that plan changed! Lolol. Hope to hear a full report of that trip! Planning a possible trip in July to set up a tank for my sons room. Buttering up the wife already ;) let me know your secrets ...

My experience w madness stretches back quite a bit and when I first got into the hobby and before I even knew what this site was or bothered to even research these fish... I had many years keeping cichlids and figured they were all the same, boy was I wrong ...

Anyways... I like many who are starting want to pick their own fish and yada yada and I stumbled upon madness and figured I would take the trip... The first time I was still wet behind the ears and wasn't exactly sure what I was looking at. Let me preface by saying the man who runs the shop was very pleasant and patient with me and he gave me a bunch of info and let me browse the shop for a while no questions asked. I left there with 5 fish I believe that time , small 3-4" fish and put them in my 47 gallon weirdly shaped cube tank and changed the water once a week... You see where I am going here ... Again no issues w the place.

Once I started to learn more and was going to upgrade the tank and after a power outtage wiped those fish out ... Still being a stubborn non believer in shipping and all, hence why I am so strongly behind it now. When I went back he had some nice stuff but I noticed a lot of pitting in the head area or HITH. he was honest with me and said he had an outbreak in his central system and some were effected... I got nervous and was afraid to purchase anything and it kinda left me weary in all honesty. I get things happen and stuff goes wrong and at least he told me what it was and was upfront about it... So that's my experience there. After that I ended up getting some gorgeous fish from
Mike beals a guy who used to be on here and sell fish. His prices with shipping were less than what I would have paid there and he sent me some absolute monster fish and since then I was quite hooked and behind the shipping process and the sponsors here ...

Thank you for sharing your experience! My family and I took the road trip this morning to Hans Discus in Maryland. Besides the 6 hour round trip, it was a nice to meet Hans and see all the beautiful discus he has for sale. We bought 8 juvenile discus 2.5 inches long. After we got home I decided to do one more water change to the 40g breeder tank but to my dismay my ehiem canister filter started leaking from the outlet hose (the one molded to the motor). I had to run out and purchase another filter. I ended up getting a fluval canister. After acclimating them to the water in my tank I threw them all in. They were really really skittish so I turned off all the light and left them alone. I'll take some pics of them tommorow.

DJW
02-08-2016, 12:49 AM
Manny, nice job on the stand. It looks like the basement floor is out of level, lol my whole house is like that.
Dan

tunerhead24
02-08-2016, 07:06 AM
Manny, nice job on the stand. It looks like the basement floor is out of level, lol my whole house is like that.
Dan

Lol thanks Dan, my basement floor is all out of wack!

tunerhead24
02-08-2016, 08:51 AM
I'm wondering if I should feed them tonight, this morning one of the discus was hiding behind the sponge filter.

Phillydubs
02-08-2016, 03:37 PM
Manny,

So happy to hear you took the trip to Hans! Not happy to hear your filter issues... always something right? Sounds like something that would happen to me...

Any pics or fun stories from your trip to Hans?

You just got them yesterday? I would give them a day or 2 to settle before you feed and keep the lights off... You can always stick some food in and step back and see... if they eat, great, if not vac it out quick and wait...

Patience is huge at this time... We have all gone through this, we all want to have perky fish waiting a day later, but usually that's not the case...

So far you are doing things right and got from great stock, let time take over and just keep good care and good water and you will see the results in no time!

Marco164
02-08-2016, 08:55 PM
any fish pics yet :D

tunerhead24
02-08-2016, 10:35 PM
Manny,

So happy to hear you took the trip to Hans! Not happy to hear your filter issues... always something right? Sounds like something that would happen to me...

Any pics or fun stories from your trip to Hans?

You just got them yesterday? I would give them a day or 2 to settle before you feed and keep the lights off... You can always stick some food in and step back and see... if they eat, great, if not vac it out quick and wait...

Patience is huge at this time... We have all gone through this, we all want to have perky fish waiting a day later, but usually that's not the case...

So far you are doing things right and got from great stock, let time take over and just keep good care and good water and you will see the results in no time!

I did feed them a pinch of Cobalt flake food that Hans gave me, they all ate for the exception of two. I have an old diy led light that had for a planted tank a few years ago, my wife suggested it was too bright so I hung off one of the pipes in the basement, I'm afraid its still too bright. We purchased 8 discus all together, 2 marlboro reds, 2 red scribbelts, 1 red pigeon blood, 1 blue pigeon blood and 2 blue diamonds.

any fish pics yet :D

lol Yeah here they are...

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn305/tunerhead24/IMG_9170_zps7yxkkdbb.jpg (http://s307.photobucket.com/user/tunerhead24/media/IMG_9170_zps7yxkkdbb.jpg.html)

the ride home.

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn305/tunerhead24/DSC_3419_zpsdezrscmu.jpg (http://s307.photobucket.com/user/tunerhead24/media/DSC_3419_zpsdezrscmu.jpg.html)

Marlboro Reds

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn305/tunerhead24/DSC_3420_zpse2u6gqcg.jpg (http://s307.photobucket.com/user/tunerhead24/media/DSC_3420_zpse2u6gqcg.jpg.html)

Red Scribbelts

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn305/tunerhead24/DSC_3428_zpsx0izen7a.jpg (http://s307.photobucket.com/user/tunerhead24/media/DSC_3428_zpsx0izen7a.jpg.html)

Blue Diamond

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn305/tunerhead24/DSC_3433_zpsj2ejkvsh.jpg (http://s307.photobucket.com/user/tunerhead24/media/DSC_3433_zpsj2ejkvsh.jpg.html)

The gang, lol i couldn't get a good shoot of the blue or red pigeon bloods

https://youtu.be/bB694avnHVs

and this guy had a blast!

rickztahone
02-09-2016, 03:30 PM
I would highly suggest painting the bottom of that tank or possibly adding some kind of paper or something under it

tunerhead24
02-09-2016, 04:33 PM
I would highly suggest painting the bottom of that tank or possibly adding some kind of paper or something under it

Because of peppering?

Phillydubs
02-09-2016, 05:41 PM
Reflection mostly, will throw them off...

rickztahone
02-09-2016, 05:45 PM
Because of peppering?

This is the main reason.

Do you notice how they point towards the tank floor? They do not do this with a painted bottom.

tunerhead24
02-09-2016, 07:17 PM
This is the main reason.

Do you notice how they point towards the tank floor? They do not do this with a painted bottom.

Wow! Yes your'e right! I'm going to do a water change in a few, should I throw in white paper or some old magazine pages with darker colors?

Thank you guys!

rickztahone
02-09-2016, 07:19 PM
Wow! Yes your'e right! I'm going to do a water change in a few, should I through white paper or some old magazine pages with darker colors?

Thank you guys!

Get some regular 8x11.5 white paper and throw it under there. It would have been better to paint in reality as it would have been more aesthetically pleasing, but it is your call.

tunerhead24
02-09-2016, 07:25 PM
Get some regular 8x11.5 white paper and throw it under there. It would have been better to paint in reality as it would have been more aesthetically pleasing, but it is your call.

Well it's just a grow out tank and its in my laundry room so I really don't care how ugly it looks, I just want the fish to be as healthy as possible.
Again, thank you for pointing that out...

rickztahone
02-09-2016, 07:49 PM
Well it's just a grow out tank and its in my laundry room so I really don't care how ugly it looks, I just want the fish to be as healthy as possible.
Again, thank you for pointing that out...

yeah no worries. If you aren't worried about looks just stick some paper under there. It isn't the same as painting but it is better than just the glass

tunerhead24
02-09-2016, 10:41 PM
Hey Ricardo, is this night bright enough?

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn305/tunerhead24/IMG_9176_zpsmrdde8vy.jpg (http://s307.photobucket.com/user/tunerhead24/media/IMG_9176_zpsmrdde8vy.jpg.html)

jeff12
02-10-2016, 01:13 AM
What camera are u using to take these pictures?

tunerhead24
02-10-2016, 12:18 PM
What camera are u using to take these pictures?

The pics of the fish are from my Nikon and the last pic of the tank is off my iPhone.

Phillydubs
02-10-2016, 01:13 PM
Do you notice a big difference since you added the paper? Are they no longer doing head stands to stare at their pretty self... such vain discus!! haha

tunerhead24
02-10-2016, 06:10 PM
Do you notice a big difference since you added the paper? Are they no longer doing head stands to stare at their pretty self... such vain discus!! haha

I never added anything, the last picture I posted is the bottom of the tank without any paper. That's why I asked if its bright enough.

tunerhead24
02-10-2016, 06:20 PM
After I started feeding them they stopped doing head stands or swim sideways. They eat like piranhas! It's so funny!

rickztahone
02-10-2016, 10:35 PM
When we look at a tank from up above as you have pictured, it doesn't look bad. I believe you can leave it like it is. However, I am not sure what leads the discus to headstand like this in these type of tanks lacking a painted bottom. I have had one unpainted and the discus got used to it after a while. Just suggested it in case they didn't seem to settle in. Over the years I have noticed that the painted bottom just seems to calm them down.

tunerhead24
02-11-2016, 09:47 AM
When we look at a tank from up above as you have pictured, it doesn't look bad. I believe you can leave it like it is. However, I am not sure what leads the discus to headstand like this in these type of tanks lacking a painted bottom. I have had one unpainted and the discus got used to it after a while. Just suggested it in case they didn't seem to settle in. Over the years I have noticed that the painted bottom just seems to calm them down.

If they start doing it again I'll paint it but right now they seemed to have settled in.

tunerhead24
02-15-2016, 05:38 PM
I'm really disappointed in myself, I just realized my thermometer is off by 4 degrees. I have the temp set at 84f and it was really 80f, they've been in that temp ever since I've bought them smh. I'm going to gradually raise it to 84f.

Phillydubs
02-15-2016, 06:08 PM
Manny 82 is fine, no real reason to go much higher but 82-84 is ideal, but you aren't off by a lot it shouldn't have hurt them in anyway... Do yourself a favor and get a digital therm that you can just stick in the water to see, those hang ons and all I always have issues with...

tunerhead24
02-15-2016, 06:25 PM
Manny 82 is fine, no real reason to go much higher but 82-84 is ideal, but you aren't off by a lot it shouldn't have hurt them in anyway... Do yourself a favor and get a digital therm that you can just stick in the water to see, those hang ons and all I always have issues with...

Any particular brand?

Marco164
02-16-2016, 09:39 PM
i usually run 84-86F -

tunerhead24
02-17-2016, 07:32 AM
I repositioned the heater, I noticed dark spots on one of the blue diamonds so I removed the suction cups on the heater and just laid it on the bottom of the tank.

mee
02-17-2016, 07:54 AM
The stand looks good to my eyes. A tad overbuild for a 40, but that's never a bad thing.

tunerhead24
02-18-2016, 07:11 AM
The stand looks good to my eyes. A tad overbuild for a 40, but that's never a bad thing.

Lol thanks

tunerhead24
02-20-2016, 11:17 AM
https://youtu.be/dg1JrOyIVu4
Man do they love Black worms!

tunerhead24
02-22-2016, 07:50 PM
Yesterday I did a 90% water change and when I was almost done filling the tank I realized the water was coming out ice cold! My wife was bathing our son the same time I was filling the tank, there wasn't enough hot water. The temp dropped to about 72 degrees Fahrenheit. i panicked and didn't know what to do but just wait for the heater to raise the temp slowly. Today I noticed one of the discus isn't eating. I'm going to try and add api aquarium salt to see if it helps. Any feedback would be highly appreciated.

Phillydubs
02-23-2016, 01:19 AM
Ugh Manny! Sorry to hear this :(

Few things to consider from my experience... First , the fact that you only have one not eating is a great sign. The drop in temp if it was 72 while not great isn't teribble...

If this didn't scare you into some form of an aging barrell then I don't know what would... Truth be told a few days after I got my 5 leopards from Chicago discus I nearly lost them all to a similar tank swing but on the high side ... Ask Miranda... I $hi+ my pants and called her in a panick I got tap water to 82 quick splashed some prime mixed and grabbed them and put them all in... Thankfully I had a tank running at my brother in law 2 min away I ran them over and plopped them in... Not at all what I wanted to do with brand new gorgeous fish but I felt it was that or loose them .... For future reference try to quickly add warmer mixed water and some dechlor and get them in it ... At least in my experience that had worked ... Then again if they were in the other water a bit you don't want to shock them again jumping them 10 degrees. I realized my mistake quickly but not sure if your instance.

All of that said, I have been aging water since... I can't handle the risk and I really see a huge difference in my fish. Their growth and thickness rate jumped when I was steady w my aging and you guarantee temp. I take the temp before I pump over and that way you know!

All I would suggest is high daily wayer changes and let them readjust and slowly recoup. I think you will be ok but just keep them in the best possible params and fingers crossed !!

tunerhead24
02-24-2016, 07:23 AM
Thanks for the reply Phil. Because my tap water always has a ph of 7.6 even after sitting for 2 days that I wouldn't need an aging barrel. Does your aging barrel have a heater running all day? I do 50% water changes and vacume everyday due to the fact I feed 4 times a day. I noticed the one that wasn't eating took a couple of bites off the beef heart mix yesterday so hopefully he'll be okay.

Marco164
02-28-2016, 03:52 AM
Tuner - I Run 1 - 55gal barrel non heated with Air then my real barrel - 55gal - Heated to temp with air ....and rotate ...Works awesome so far(A bit overkill but my water has Chlorine and chloramine out the ying yang....Ph is ok at about 7.1) but i pump it full of air and Use Prime to try keeping it to the stress min... havent lost a fish yet...- That probably is in part due to Rick From CAF has awesome fish tho haha ;)

tunerhead24
03-20-2016, 06:51 PM
Tuner - I Run 1 - 55gal barrel non heated with Air then my real barrel - 55gal - Heated to temp with air ....and rotate ...Works awesome so far(A bit overkill but my water has Chlorine and chloramine out the ying yang....Ph is ok at about 7.1) but i pump it full of air and Use Prime to try keeping it to the stress min... havent lost a fish yet...- That probably is in part due to Rick From CAF has awesome fish tho haha ;)

I decided to buy a 35 barrel to age water for 24hr with a powerhead and a airline hose attached to it. I also put a 150w heater with a diy heater controller, water temp is a lot more stable when doing water changes.

tunerhead24
03-20-2016, 06:59 PM
I've been slowly putting together my 90gal setup. I built a sump with a 29 gallon aqueon tank that i picked up at petco's dollar gallon sale. I ordered 4 pieces of glass cut to size from my local glass shop and put everything together. Overall cost for the sump was about $95 bucks.

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn305/tunerhead24/IMG_9347_zpsrm5t5b0j.jpg (http://s307.photobucket.com/user/tunerhead24/media/IMG_9347_zpsrm5t5b0j.jpg.html)

tunerhead24
03-20-2016, 07:05 PM
One of the scribbelt discus that was having a hard time eating isn't eating at all now. I noticed white poop coming out of him so i medicating the tank with metro. Hopefully everything will be ok.

Dhavalsp
03-20-2016, 10:39 PM
i am all hooked on to follow the progress on this one....

hope they get better soon, stinkers are hardy, so they should bounce back quickly. do post some updated pics when things settle down...

tunerhead24
03-21-2016, 06:06 AM
i am all hooked on to follow the progress on this one....

hope they get better soon, stinkers are hardy, so they should bounce back quickly. do post some updated pics when things settle down...

Lol thanks! Will do!

tunerhead24
03-27-2016, 09:28 PM
Dosing Metro was a success. The sick discus is now eating with a huge appetite! He's also not hiding and not letting the others bully him. I'm going to medicate for three more days which will be a total of 10 days. One thing i noticed was when i raised the heat to 90 degrees Fahrenheit (on the fourth day ) is when he really started to bounce back.

tunerhead24
03-27-2016, 09:38 PM
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn305/tunerhead24/DSC_3578_zpsnimmruba.jpg (http://s307.photobucket.com/user/tunerhead24/media/DSC_3578_zpsnimmruba.jpg.html)

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn305/tunerhead24/DSC_3593_zpshqn5nqbm.jpg (http://s307.photobucket.com/user/tunerhead24/media/DSC_3593_zpshqn5nqbm.jpg.html)

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn305/tunerhead24/DSC_3604_zps51giw5f6.jpg (http://s307.photobucket.com/user/tunerhead24/media/DSC_3604_zps51giw5f6.jpg.html)

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn305/tunerhead24/DSC_3624_zpsyh1oymuk.jpg (http://s307.photobucket.com/user/tunerhead24/media/DSC_3624_zpsyh1oymuk.jpg.html)

tunerhead24
03-27-2016, 09:42 PM
https://youtu.be/qYiDqBLEuoY

please don't mind all the crap at the bottom of the tank, the video was taken right after the last feeding of the day and before my daily 50% water change.