PDA

View Full Version : How to pot plants in a BB tank?

jeff12
01-19-2016, 08:49 AM
My tank was looking kind of boring so I got an Amazon Sword, it was really cheap and had a lot of foliage too. I have a BB tank so how do you guys pot the plant?

Also, will the discus bite and eat the plant? LOL

jmf3460
01-19-2016, 09:02 AM
put your sword in a glass jar (pint mason) or a cute glass/ceramic cup, even those small terra cotta pots work well and are widely used. Get some plant substrate (eco-complete, flora max) and put about an inch in the bottom of your pot, then the sword, then cover its roots with more substrate. I like a layer of sand on top of the substrate for easier cleaning. the discus might pick at the leaves but they will not consume it completely

Here is a potted crypt in my discus tank, in a mason jelly jar.

Lighthouse7
01-19-2016, 12:45 PM
I got my glass containers at the 99 cents store - LighthouseWatch "Discus fish Barebottom biotope update" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/I0bYgabLmvo

rickztahone
01-19-2016, 01:24 PM
I tried looking for one of Toni's posts where she explains how she makes her "pots" for her plants. Look at her thread and see how she does it:
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?121409-Growing-out-in-a-planted-tank-my-120g-project

I couldn't find the specific post, but the thread shows the "pots" in action.

jeff12
01-19-2016, 10:04 PM
http://i64.tinypic.com/ke9j07.jpg

Does anybody know this substrate is? I bought it at a LFS a long time ago unlabeled. I was thinking of putting that in the pot.

Can the plants survive without the Floramax, because I only have 1 small pot and theyre sold in 20 pounds.

Filip
01-20-2016, 07:57 PM
http://i64.tinypic.com/ke9j07.jpg

Does anybody know this substrate is? I bought it at a LFS a long time ago unlabeled. I was thinking of putting that in the pot.

Can the plants survive without the Floramax, because I only have 1 small pot and theyre sold in 20 pounds.

This looks like a plain sand to me.
Try at least to get some root tabs. from your lfs and place them in the bottom of the pot.
If you can't get them either, just go with this sand and see if the plant will make it.
Although I suppose you will go with some root feeder plant ,they can also compensate the lack of soil nutrients with the nutrients available from the water column.

Jack L
01-20-2016, 08:02 PM
I only have sand in my tank and plants grow....
I did just add some DIY root tabs. But that was just to see if it would help

jeff12
01-22-2016, 10:49 PM
Do the root tabs affect the discus?

Jack L
01-22-2016, 11:22 PM

i haven't noticed anything. in theory they are in the sand and they are slow release so they will go into roots and not into water column

ericNH
01-23-2016, 12:05 AM
Here is a potted crypt in my discus tank, in a mason jelly jar.93471

I wish I could get mine to like that. Beautiful plant. I'm currently trying to fix mine, I moved them into my qt tank and went nuts clipping off algae-ridden leaves and they look pretty sad:

Filip
01-23-2016, 07:38 AM
I wish I could get mine to like that. Beautiful plant. I'm currently trying to fix mine, I moved them into my qt tank and went nuts clipping off algae-ridden leaves and they look pretty sad:

Try bleaching them next time . It would be less aggressive than clliping an entire plant.
1:19 solution water to bleach ratio. For 1-2 min.

Filip
01-23-2016, 07:39 AM

No.Don't worry.

ericNH
01-23-2016, 08:51 AM
Try bleaching them next time . It would be less aggressive than clliping an entire plant.
1:19 solution water to bleach ratio. For 1-2 min.

Thank you for the tip! I will try that next time.

Second Hand Pat
01-23-2016, 09:14 AM
A fellow member has her own DIY pots called squishy pots. Here is her quote on how she does it.

Hi Barb,

A squishy pot is my own little DIY pot. I buy cheap pantyhose, then cut off a section (for most plants about 5 - 6 inches is plenty. Just knot one end, then fill the section with gravel or coarse sand and add a plant tab if you need one.

Wet the gravel a bit, then add the plant roots. The easiest way to hold onto the whole thing (it can wriggle away while you're trying to put a rubberband at the top!) is to set it on a flat surface, add the plant and push down on the plant as you pull up on the pantyhose. Once the pantyhose have formed a fairly tight ball, hang onto it and use a rubberband around the base of the plant, just above the gravel part. There will be extra hose sticking out the top - you want that!

Once the rubberband is fairly tight so that the gravel won't spill out and the plant won't come loose, pull the bunched up part of the pantyhose at the top back down and over the gravel ball you made. Then knot it at the bottom and cut off any extra pantyhose.

And that's it! You now have a ball that's soft and squishy and that allows plenty of circulation to the roots - and it's easy to move around, take out of the tank to clean, etc. I repot them in a bigger squishy pot when the roots get really long and are sticking out of every inch of the ball. =)

You can see one of my squishy pots in the pics on this page - it's the one on the far right with the jungle vals in it.

P.S. My discus LOVE your breeding cones! I've raised 2 batches of fry who started out as eggs on those cones.

Post 15 in this thread http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?121368-Tank-rescape-Part-II&highlight=squishy.

rickztahone
01-25-2016, 01:51 PM
A fellow member has her own DIY pots called squishy pots. Here is her quote on how she does it.

Post 15 in this thread http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?121368-Tank-rescape-Part-II&highlight=squishy.

That's the post I was looking for. Thanks Pat :)

Lighthouse7
01-25-2016, 02:19 PM
put your sword in a glass jar (pint mason) or a cute glass/ceramic cup, even those small terra cotta pots work well and are widely used. Get some plant substrate (eco-complete, flora max) and put about an inch in the bottom of your pot, then the sword, then cover its roots with more substrate. I like a layer of sand on top of the substrate for easier cleaning. the discus might pick at the leaves but they will not consume it completely

Here is a potted crypt in my discus tank, in a mason jelly jar.

JACKLYN what ferts are you using for your sword plant? They look great - Lighthouse

jmf3460
01-25-2016, 02:26 PM
I use the API root tabs, Lighthouse. For heavy root feeders like crypts and swords, they have a lot of iron and potassium.

Brettwhite72
01-31-2016, 09:25 PM

Here is what I did.

jeff12
02-05-2016, 09:18 PM
http://i67.tinypic.com/29w6b94.jpg

Does anybody know what this substrate is? I got it from my LFS and it said on the box for plant growth. I asked her if it was bleachable but she didn't know. She said it is clay based. Its kind of powdery. Is it okay to pot plants in this and put it in the tank?

rickztahone
02-05-2016, 09:52 PM
Looks like plain ol quartz rocks to me. Not sure how that would encourage plant growth. Plants prefer a soil type substrate as opposed to something like the above.

jeff12
02-08-2016, 04:03 AM
I use the API root tabs, Lighthouse. For heavy root feeders like crypts and swords, they have a lot of iron and potassium.

Are root tabs suppose to dissolve quickly? I put one in my squishy pot and I can't find it anywhere after one week. They are the ADA root tabs, the lady at the LFS said they would last more than 2 months.

jmf3460
02-08-2016, 09:01 AM
Are root tabs suppose to dissolve quickly? I put one in my squishy pot and I can't find it anywhere after one week. They are the ADA root tabs, the lady at the LFS said they would last more than 2 months.

yes they "dissolve" rather quickly. it is still there doing its thing but the particles have broken down to a mushy point so that you cant refind it. the ferts last much longer though.

jeff12
02-09-2016, 10:22 PM
yes they "dissolve" rather quickly. it is still there doing its thing but the particles have broken down to a mushy point so that you cant refind it. the ferts last much longer though.

Ferts?

Filip
02-10-2016, 04:35 AM
Tabs get mushy and sandy very quickly but that sandy , tiny particles structure is still present in the root and it feeds it for a longer period of time.

As a solid tablet its not that readily available to roots as it is when it becomes mushy.They are supposed to get mushy , to act like some sort of soil to the roots.

jeff12
02-10-2016, 04:47 AM
Tabs get mushy and sandy very quickly but that sandy , tiny particles structure is still present in the root and it feeds it for a longer period of time.

As a solid tablet its not that readily available to roots as it is when it becomes mushy.They are supposed to get mushy , to act like some sort of soil to the roots.

I noticed on the first day of putting in the tab, the plant is using the CO2 immediately because I see all these bubbles on the leaves, but a day later no more bubbles. If I do a water change and mush the substrate around in the pot, the CO2 starts working on the plant and I see the oxygen coming from the leaves.

When do you know the CO2 is all gone?

Filip
02-10-2016, 05:47 AM
I noticed on the first day of putting in the tab, the plant is using the CO2 immediately because I see all these bubbles on the leaves, but a day later no more bubbles. If I do a water change and mush the substrate around in the pot, the CO2 starts working on the plant and I see the oxygen coming from the leaves.

When do you know the CO2 is all gone?

You are confusing me here Jeff.

What kind of tablets do you have ?
Co2 tablets or mineralization/ fertilization tablets?
Co2 tabs only lasts for a day and release and provide co2 to water column.
Ferts. Tabs last for months and they are applied underneath the root to provide minerals .

Your plants form and release bubbles AKA "plant pearling" after your WC not because of the tablet, but because of big amounts of co 2 that every tap water has in it .

jeff12
02-10-2016, 05:12 PM
You are confusing me here Jeff.

What kind of tablets do you have ?
Co2 tablets or mineralization/ fertilization tablets?
Co2 tabs only lasts for a day and release and provide co2 to water column.
Ferts. Tabs last for months and they are applied underneath the root to provide minerals .

Your plants form and release bubbles AKA "plant pearling" after your WC not because of the tablet, but because of big amounts of co 2 that every tap water has in it .

There's a difference between CO2 tablets and fertilization tabs? I have the ADA Multi Bottom Tabs.

The plants only form the bubbles again if I mush the substrate around to increase circulation. They never form bubbles after a water change.

jmf3460
02-10-2016, 05:18 PM
wait just a minute, there is such a thing as CO2 tablets???? can someone provide a link??

Filip
02-10-2016, 08:20 PM
wait just a minute, there is such a thing as CO2 tablets???? can someone provide a link??

Here is a link of many brands of co2 tablets on eBay

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/co2-tablets

For further info. and reviews Google for "co2 aquarium tabs."
I haven't use them my self , but from what I have read on plant forums years ago , they are only suitable for small tanks, they are not cost efficient for long terms and they are not measurable with drop checkers amongst other cons.
Excell, Easy-carbo and other liquid co2 solutions are reviewed as much better option on planted forums.

Filip
02-10-2016, 08:36 PM
There's a difference between CO2 tablets and fertilization tabs? I have the ADA Multi Bottom Tabs.

The plants only form the bubbles again if I mush the substrate around to increase circulation. They never form bubbles after a water change.

Yes , they are two different things .
You have nutrient / mineralization sticks -nothing to do with co 2, and ADA are amongst the best plant care products.
Just stick them deep underneath the root and don't worry and don't disturb the bottom close to the root.

jeff12
02-13-2016, 05:18 AM
What do you guys do when theres like poop and food on the plants? It makes the leaves look dirty.

I accidentally planted my java fern, didn't know that they didn't like being potted. There are some black spots on the leaves, is it starting to rot? I replanted it with a pantyhose covering the root to make it sink with no substrate. Will this be enough aeration for the roots?

Filip
02-13-2016, 09:30 AM
What do you guys do when theres like poop and food on the plants? It makes the leaves look dirty.

I accidentally planted my java fern, didn't know that they didn't like being potted. There are some black spots on the leaves, is it starting to rot? I replanted it with a pantyhose covering the root to make it sink with no substrate. Will this be enough aeration for the roots?

I clean them mannualy with my hand on every Wc and clean up. You ll be suprised how much crud can plant leaves collect. Just disturb them around gently .
Java ferns and also anubias grows better when planted in substrate than just attached to wood or rock. You just have to be carrefull not to burry the stem or the root base underground . Only the roots should be burried /planted .

Jack L
02-13-2016, 10:06 AM

the current keeps it off the leaves, if its there i leave it

food is consumed by shrimp and my snail infestation

black means rot. i normally remove rotted leaves, it prompts new growth

jeff12
02-14-2016, 05:16 AM
the current keeps it off the leaves, if its there i leave it

food is consumed by shrimp and my snail infestation

black means rot. i normally remove rotted leaves, it prompts new growth

Any recommendations for shrimp or cleanup crew?

Jack L
02-14-2016, 10:13 AM
cories
farlowella
ottos (though they are falling out of favor, they don't last long and i lose a lot in q tank)
amano shrimp
ghost shrimp

jeff12
02-19-2016, 10:47 PM
My plants don't pearl after water changes. They only pearl when I add a fresh new root tab. Does this mean my tap is low in CO2? I have very hard water and a high pH.

I tested my nitrates today and the plants brought them down! Tap water is at 10ppm and the plants brought it down to 5ppm in the tank. Is there anyway I can bring it down to 0?

Keeping plants while growing out discus is risky but what is the main problem behind it? Is it only bad husbandry? I can't really call my tank a planted tank because I only have 3 plants in squishy pots with no substrate but the plants don't really affect the discus right?

Filip
02-20-2016, 05:12 PM
My plants don't pearl after water changes. They only pearl when I add a fresh new root tab. Does this mean my tap is low in CO2? I have very hard water and a high pH.

I tested my nitrates today and the plants brought them down! Tap water is at 10ppm and the plants brought it down to 5ppm in the tank. Is there anyway I can bring it down to 0?

Keeping plants while growing out discus is risky but what is the main problem behind it? Is it only bad husbandry? I can't really call my tank a planted tank because I only have 3 plants in squishy pots with no substrate but the plants don't really affect the discus right?

1. As i recall you've mentioned somewhere before that you age your water.
That's why your plants don't pearl right after WC. Co2 gasses out during ageing.

2. I doubt that your 3 plants can put nitrates down with discus in your tank. Don't relly so much on test , they can be hard to read and thus misleading sometimes.
And no, you can't get to 0 nitrates in discus tank.

3.Plants are surface area where crud and bacteria collect, the more surface / plants you have more ground for bacteria buildup. Their roots also collect and store a lot of detritus.
,That's why is advised to grow discus without them.

You can gently clean plants with your hands before your WC to prevent crud and bacteria collecting on the leaves.