PDA

View Full Version : Plugging the end of an Eheim 2217 intake pipe

jim LI
01-19-2016, 10:44 AM
I want to do larger water changes (60% daily), but when the water level goes below the end of the intake pipe, i have to re-prime the canister filter. Does anyone know of a plug or cap I can put on the end of the intake to keep the pipe siphoned? Or does anyone have a remedy for this?

thanks

rickztahone
01-19-2016, 01:32 PM
I want to do larger water changes (60% daily), but when the water level goes below the end of the intake pipe, i have to re-prime the canister filter. Does anyone know of a plug or cap I can put on the end of the intake to keep the pipe siphoned? Or does anyone have a remedy for this?

thanks

I had a pair of 2213's and all I had to do to do a full water change was simply unplug the heater. Can you not do this? It shouldn't lose suction. If it does, there is something wrong.

DJW
01-19-2016, 01:54 PM
I wonder if the filter is on a shelf beside the tank rather than below the tank as is typical. As long as the top of the canister is lower than the end of the intake pipe, the impeller should remain submerged.

pitdogg2
01-19-2016, 02:00 PM
when i had one all I did was unplug before the water change then if it didn't just start on its own I used my "turkey baster" inserted in the output to draw suction waala it started. as stated it does need to be way below the intake which mine was by feet

rickztahone
01-19-2016, 02:25 PM
when i had one all I did was unplug before the water change then if it didn't just start on its own I used my "turkey baster" inserted in the output to draw suction waala it started. as stated it does need to be way below the intake which mine was by feet

I had 2 sets of lily pipes on both of my filters and not once did I have to prime the filter after turning the filters off. It was a total pain to start a siphon with the lily pipes though during the regular filter maintenance.

jim LI
01-19-2016, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the replies....After i did the wc, the intake pipes lost water, but the hose still had water to the canister. when i turned the filters back on, there was,loads of bubbles coming out of the outlet pipes and the filters worked a few minutes to remove all the air that was in the intake pipe. i want to avoid adding all those bubbles to the tank, by trying to keep the water in the intake pipe, reducing the air introduced into the filter by the air in the intake pipe.

rickztahone
01-19-2016, 03:58 PM
Eheim does not make any extenders as far as I am aware. I know my old rena's used to though and Eheim may have started doing so since last I used their product? It was a few years ago so you never know. Just FYI, when I did water change on my tanks with the 2213, the water level would go below the intakes every time and I never got the problem you are experiencing. I am not saying you are lying, I am simply stating that with mine it didn't. This may be due to the fact that the 2213's I had are different than your current filter, but they keep their filters similarly the same simply just smaller or larger in size.

jim LI
01-19-2016, 05:41 PM
I am doing a wc tonight, I'll let you know what happens.

thanks

Altum Nut
01-19-2016, 05:49 PM
I am doing a wc tonight, I'll let you know what happens.

thanks

Simple fix...just put on Ehiem Shut-Off valves

...Ralph

rickztahone
01-19-2016, 06:06 PM
Simple fix...just put on Ehiem Shut-Off valves

...Ralph

Oh yeah! That's right, they have valves on the hoses. Simply turn the intake one but don't forget to turn it back to the "flow through" position when ready to start back on.

jim LI
01-21-2016, 02:56 PM
I use those valves for quick connect/disconnect. i turned off the valve and that seemed to work. thanks

rickztahone
01-21-2016, 03:55 PM
I use those valves for quick connect/disconnect. i turned off the valve and that seemed to work. thanks

cool, problem solved :)