PDA

View Full Version : Antibiotics in food

Goldenmelondiscus
01-20-2016, 12:51 PM
Is it a good idea to add antibiotics to food once a month? My LFS owner said she added antibiotics to keep her discus healthy. If so what should I add?

rickztahone
01-20-2016, 04:03 PM
Is it a good idea to add antibiotics to food once a month? My LFS owner said she added antibiotics to keep her discus healthy. If so what should I add?

If your LFS told you that, STAY AWAY from that LFS. No need to do prophylactic medicating unless you see signs of illness.

Filip
01-20-2016, 05:32 PM
If your LFS told you that, STAY AWAY from that LFS. No need to do prophylactic medicating unless you see signs of illness.

+1.
Next time ask her if she takes antibiotics and other meds every month prophylactically. :)

pitdogg2
01-20-2016, 05:33 PM
That is the exact reason we are seeing so much resistant bacteria. That kind of mentality is killing us. Maybe if your LFS just would keep a clean tank and do proper maintenance she would have better outcome.

Goldenmelondiscus
01-20-2016, 07:23 PM
Not enthused with the idea of antibiotic, but there are some circumstances in humans it's suggested.

rickztahone
01-20-2016, 07:39 PM
Not enthused with the idea of antibiotic, but there are some circumstances in humans it's suggested.

yes, when absolutely necessary, not as a preventative treatment. Research antibiotic immunities on google and see what you come up with.

Jack L
01-20-2016, 07:54 PM
Agreed... Dumb idea, maybe they work at a big pharma and are brain washed to keep animals and people on meds

DJW
01-20-2016, 08:58 PM
Go look around in an old cemetery. Many of those old graves are full of children because they didn't have antibiotics in those days, and we could go back to that kind of a world if the foolish use of antibiotics continues.

Goldenmelondiscus
01-21-2016, 12:09 AM
I may have been mistaken about the antibiotics. I think she said vitamins and minerals. I will ask tomorrow. She mixed it with her own beef heart.

I agree on the overuse of antibiotics. It seems we get it from every farm animal we eat. It's a inexpensive thing for the farmers to do to keep the vet bills down, but in the long run makes thing complicated.

rickztahone
01-21-2016, 01:29 PM
I may have been mistaken about the antibiotics. I think she said vitamins and minerals. I will ask tomorrow. She mixed it with her own beef heart.

I agree on the overuse of antibiotics. It seems we get it from every farm animal we eat. It's a inexpensive thing for the farmers to do to keep the vet bills down, but in the long run makes thing complicated.

Vitamins are a different story. I use vitamins in my BH mix. I believe I used centrum vitamins and crushed them in to a powder and added them to the mix.