PDA

View Full Version : Buying fish over the internet

Goldenmelondiscus
01-20-2016, 03:54 PM
I am extremely nervous about buying fish over the internet. I like to look at the fish and make sure everything is OK. If/when I decide to buy fish over the net what should I look for in a seller. Can I ask the seller to send video of the fish eating? How much should I expect to pay in shipping?
Obviously, I would need a Quarantine tank before I let them into my show tank.

rickztahone
01-20-2016, 03:56 PM
We have a page of discus sponsors here:
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?42-SimplyDiscus-Sponsors

Any one of them can answer all your questions and they are all vetted through us. They all provide great customer service and great quality discus. Many people have this hesitancy the first time, but after the first time, and after you see how well packed the discus are, you will definitely never buy discus locally again. ;)

DonMD
01-20-2016, 07:20 PM
Golden Mellon,

Your concern is understandable. Why would you trust some online source against seeing with your own eyes?

But the truth is that you'll NEVER find more beautiful fish that what the sponsors on this site have, as Rick has mentioned above. Once you get your tank ready for fish and place the order (I know, it's a leap of faith), a box arrives at your door (or maybe 2!), and you take them in the house. Open the bags, float them for 20 minutes, and then place them in your tank, and you won't believe how such beautiful fish have arrived at your home. It's true.

Check the sponsors. They don't have so many wonderful reviews for nothing.

SNap0283
01-20-2016, 07:51 PM
Look at a few of the sponsors on this site then go you youtube. Type in one of the sponsors names followed by "unboxing" and watch some of the videos of how amazingly packaged the fish are and how beautiful they look directly out of the box.

Goldenmelondiscus
01-20-2016, 08:12 PM
Not sure I would order Discus first over the net. That is a lot of financial risk to assume, however, tetras or something small and inexpensive would be the sacrificial lamb.

rickztahone
01-20-2016, 08:28 PM
Not sure I would order Discus first over the net. That is a lot of financial risk to assume, however, tetras or something small and inexpensive would be the sacrificial lamb.

I can point you in the direction of a lot of satisfied customers that buy discus on a monthly basis that would disagree with you. Is there risk? Yes, there is risk that the discus may be lost, or die in transit or die when they get in to your tank, but our sponsors are stand up sponsors and I have seen sponsors go out of their way to fix a problem that wasn't theirs to fix, like losing a package. They have no control over that but they assume the responsibility. Would your LFS do that? Maybe, but then you'd be stuck with poor quality discus.

Ultimately the decision is OP's, but I am assuring you, our sponsors have the best quality discus available anywhere.

Goldenmelondiscus
01-20-2016, 08:51 PM
I have no doubt that the Discus the sponsors sell here are awesome. It just scares me to buy and ship a living creature sight unseen. When I get a bigger aquarium and have the means of getting a hospital tank I will try Discus. I am looking for the shoaling fish to go with my Discus. I live in Central IL and there are some good LFS here, but they don't carry the tetras I think are cool. I go to St. Louis quite a bit, but the LFS I go to has more African Cichlids than anything else. I am looking for reputable breeders for tetras, cory cats etc.

rickztahone
01-20-2016, 08:55 PM
I have no doubt that the Discus the sponsors sell here are awesome. It just scares me to buy and ship a living creature sight unseen. When I get a bigger aquarium and have the means of getting a hospital tank I will try Discus. I am looking for the shoaling fish to go with my Discus. I live in Central IL and there are some good LFS here, but they don't carry the tetras I think are cool. I go to St. Louis quite a bit, but the LFS I go to has more African Cichlids than anything else. I am looking for reputable breeders for tetras, cory cats etc.

I don't know IL geography, but if you are close to Chicago, contact Josie and Miranda:
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?252-ChicagoDiscus-com-(Josie-Christopher)-Chicago-Illinois

They are one of our sponsors and you can pick out your discus ;)

Goldenmelondiscus
01-21-2016, 12:19 AM
I don't know IL geography, but if you are close to Chicago, contact Josie and Miranda:
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?252-ChicagoDiscus-com-(Josie-Christopher)-Chicago-Illinois

They are one of our sponsors and you can pick out your discus ;)

The best way to describe Central IL where I am is this is where Abe Lincoln practiced law. Springfield is 45 minutes west of where I am and Champaign Urbana (University of Illinois) is 45 minutes east. St. Louis is two hours southwest and Chicago is roughly three hours from here.

rickztahone
01-21-2016, 01:31 PM
The best way to describe Central IL where I am is this is where Abe Lincoln practiced law. Springfield is 45 minutes west of where I am and Champaign Urbana (University of Illinois) is 45 minutes east. St. Louis is two hours southwest and Chicago is roughly three hours from here.

While I know that is a long way, 3hrs, I would highly encourage you to possibly make the trip out there to Josie and Miranda and buy some discus. It would be a whole day thing but you can take our family and involve them in the process and get them to like discus. Josie and Miranda would take care of you. Plus, you'd save on shipping which is typically around $100-$125.

Phillydubs
01-21-2016, 01:35 PM
Once again, Rick and I share a brain it seems lately...

I am jealous that you live 3 hrs from Chicago Discus... I would probably be divorced if that were the case :o) lol...

Make the drive!!! If you are looking for other fish, check out snookin, fresh water tropicals... he has a laundry list of cool stuff...