PDA

View Full Version : Deworming freshwater fish

Goldenmelondiscus
01-21-2016, 04:32 PM
When I was researching saltwater fish year ago I read that if your marine fish has parasites you could give them a freshwater bath to kill the parasites. It also said dipping a freshwater fish into saltwater would get rid of the parasites. Is this how to get rid of the parasites and worms?

Pardal
01-21-2016, 04:49 PM
Eric
Read the section on Disease and Medication Stickies it will explain on detail , Salt Water Bath, Use of Praziquantel and the use Flubendazole in the water and Flebendazole in the food
Julian.

Goldenmelondiscus
01-21-2016, 07:59 PM
I am clarifying information. I don't have problems.

Thanks Julian.

Akili
01-21-2016, 08:54 PM
When I was researching saltwater fish year ago I read that if your marine fish has parasites you could give them a freshwater bath to kill the parasites. It also said dipping a freshwater fish into saltwater would get rid of the parasites. Is this how to get rid of the parasites and worms?Many parasites can be effectively treated with the use of salt,Years ago there were not too many medications available and salt is inexpensive. It was a common practice to use salt .I have used many a times and in most cases it has worked. It is best to perform a salt dip (a short-term salt bath).

Goldenmelondiscus
01-22-2016, 11:23 AM
How long is the dip?

Captcomm
01-22-2016, 11:29 AM
And what water to salt ratio?

Akili
01-22-2016, 11:40 AM
How long is the dip?

And what water to salt ratio?

To give a salt bath

Use a clean bucket or container big enough to take the discus you want to treat. Add 1 or 2 gals aquarium water (enough to comfortably cover the fish) and an airstone. Mix in 2 tblspns non iodised salt per gallon, make sure it is per gallon. Carefully net the fish and place in the container. Watch the fish all the time. If it loses equilibrium, lies flat or breathes really rapidly, net it out immediately and replace in the aquarium. Leave it in the bath for 15 to 20 mins .After the bath return it to the aquarium.

Second Hand Pat
01-22-2016, 12:43 PM
Just to clarify a saltwater dip only deals with external pathogens. It does nothing for worms which are internal. I have used this for doing a saltwater dip http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?70580-How-To-Do-a-Salt-Dip.
Pat

rickztahone
01-22-2016, 04:19 PM
Just to clarify a saltwater dip only deals with external pathogens. It does nothing for worms which are internal. I have used this for doing a saltwater dip http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?70580-How-To-Do-a-Salt-Dip.
Pat

additionally, you want to place the fish in a completely sterile environment after a salt dip, not back to where it came.