PDA

View Full Version : Quarantining Plants

jeff12
01-22-2016, 10:45 PM
How do you quarantine plants? Do you throw in meds to kill off any bacteria on the plants?

Once after quarantining, can a plant create bacteria or pathogens?

Jack L
01-22-2016, 11:28 PM
i use clorox dip

it could if your exposed it to nasties after you cleaned it, sure.

Akili
01-22-2016, 11:36 PM
Never heard of quarantine plants but Sterilizing plants is what I have done. Al's ( brewmaster15) method
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?115907-Sterilizing-plants-in-discus-tanks&highlight=clout

Jack L
01-23-2016, 12:01 AM
oh i also don't put them in my tank immediately either, as ich can be on plants. so i leave them in a environment w/o a host to ensure the ich dies off.

i used to be careless with qtank, i.e. skipped it, but it caught up with me, so now i'm more careful. you can skip qtank, but you can't "undie" a fish

Filip
01-23-2016, 07:45 AM
How do you quarantine plants? Do you throw in meds to kill off any bacteria on the plants?

Once after quarantining, can a plant create bacteria or pathogens?

I do a short bleach dip to a plant 1-2 min. In a 19-1 water -bleach ratio, then rinse thoroughly. I then put them right in my main tank without QT.

No . Plants don't produce and create pathogens , they can only carry and harbour them . That's why we disinfect them prior use.

jeff12
02-11-2016, 04:44 AM
When do you know your plants are dying from the clorox dip? The java ferns were fine after the dip. I bought a bundle of swords and dipped them in chlorox a few days ago and some of the leaves are now turning brown.

Filip
02-11-2016, 06:46 AM
When do you know your plants are dying from the clorox dip? The java ferns were fine after the dip. I bought a bundle of swords and dipped them in chlorox a few days ago and some of the leaves are now turning brown.

You can't know that .Bleaching harms all plants, no doubt about it.
Some will survive some will die , depending on plant type and its condition.

We just take that chance because discus cost more time and money than plants do :).

brewmaster15
02-11-2016, 09:48 AM
If you use bleach to do this...rinsing the plants after is important but as a second step that can minimize losses...after rinsing soak for a few minutes in clean water with a dechlorinator.

Bleach coats things...the dechlor will help neutralize it

Hth,
Al

dragon1974
02-11-2016, 10:09 AM
If you use bleach to do this...rinsing the plants after is important but as a second step that can minimize losses...after rinsing soak for a few minutes in clean water with a dechlorinator.

Bleach coats things...the dechlor will help neutralize it

Hth,
Al

+1 I've following the above with all my plants with no problems

fishtanktenderfoot
02-11-2016, 10:35 AM
I bleach dipped my plants and followed with a rinse dip. My anubias and java ferns had absolutely no issue. My amazon sword has really struggled. I may have killed it, but I have it in my QT tank now until it decides whether to die or not. Most leaves turned brown, so I am waiting to see if new ones sprout. I hope so, it used to be beautiful.