PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Aqua 22g Saltwater build

rickztahone
01-23-2016, 03:50 PM
Not discus related, I know, but check out what I just got!

2x - 22g Long Mr Aqua Low Iron 36x12x12 tanks. My plan is to do one fully planted tank w/ co2 and the other a SW RBTA and Clownfish tank.

Both will have sumps, and both will be side by side :)

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b284/rickztahone/DSC06679_zps0mfy81bo.jpg (http://s21.photobucket.com/user/rickztahone/media/DSC06679_zps0mfy81bo.jpg.html)

Second Hand Pat
01-23-2016, 03:55 PM
Nice Ricardo, will be fun to watch your build with these. :)
Pat

Rapture
01-23-2016, 06:45 PM
Fun! This is such a neat size. I like how one will be fresh and one will be salt.

ericNH
01-23-2016, 07:42 PM
Ohh cool. Branching out! I'll be following this.

Maro1
01-25-2016, 12:10 AM
following!

rickztahone
01-25-2016, 12:56 AM
Nice Ricardo, will be fun to watch your build with these. :)
Pat

Thanks Pat. I've been brainstorming all day thinking of how I want to approach the plumbing. I have finally decided on something but it will require a lot of modification. If any of you know me by now, I hate having things in my tanks showing equipment, this build will be no different.

Fun! This is such a neat size. I like how one will be fresh and one will be salt.

I'm pondering having both of them side by side and having them almost mirror each other somehow, one with live rock, the other with DW and regular stones, or something like that.

Ohh cool. Branching out! I'll be following this.
Branching out indeed. First SW tank. Very excited about that. Being the researching I am, I have put in at least 6 months of planning in to this RBTA tank and it takes roughly a year to be able to introduce an anemone in to a tank, so I am not looking forward to that wait :(

following!

Thanks for the follow. Hope to have something up here in the next few weeks. This project is not a huge priority however, so the updates may be a little slow.

I did decide on my plumbing approach however, and I think everyone will like it.

Jbell
01-25-2016, 05:14 AM
Can't wait to see it. Sounds interesting. We have a year old saltwater and just introduced a anemone awesome animal for sure feed it shrimp every other day so hopefully it won't grasp one of our smaller fish.

rickztahone
01-25-2016, 12:10 PM
Can't wait to see it. Sounds interesting. We have a year old saltwater and just introduced a anemone awesome animal for sure feed it shrimp every other day so hopefully it won't grasp one of our smaller fish.

Cool, do you have a build thread somewhere?

Jbell
01-25-2016, 04:59 PM
Cool, do you have a build thread somewhere?

No sorry I don't. It started out as 29 gal nano with 30 gal sump now it's a 55 with 30 sump. Just built a DIY auto top off .

rickztahone
01-25-2016, 05:46 PM
Love that last shot. Is that a GBTA? Also, nice hammer (I am assuming its a hammer?)

How long did it take you to introduce the BTA to the tank?

Got a pic of the sump?

Rapture
01-25-2016, 05:51 PM
I'm pondering having both of them side by side and having them almost mirror each other somehow, one with live rock, the other with DW and regular stones, or something like that.

Sounds awesome!

rickztahone
01-26-2016, 06:36 PM
Well, from hand sketch, to graph sketch to hopefully real life soon :)

I am not able to convert this pdf in to a jpeg here at work, so sorry for having to click the link directly. I will try to convert it when I get home so it is embedded

So the idea here is a modified DIY AIO section that will run the plumbing from below it straight shoot shot to the sump and back up to the tank. This will keep all equipment out of the tank, and there shouldn't be anything visible but for the return, and possibly a closed loop bulkhead(s).

If you have any questions, let me know ;)

This one depicts the SW layout. The planted will be a little easier since it will not have the skimmer.

Second Hand Pat
01-26-2016, 06:54 PM
Hopefully this works.

rickztahone
01-26-2016, 07:09 PM
Ahhhhh! Eureka! Thanks Pat :)

rickztahone
01-26-2016, 07:13 PM
When I look at that picture it looks overly complicated, but it really shouldn't be in theory. It is much more simplified than my 75g actually. The main thing that will have to be done very well will be the add on AIO section. Although that section will never have more than 2 gallons of water at any given time, if that section fails, then the water pump would keep pumping water from my sump in to the display until it runs dry put it will overflow to the AIO section.

John_Nicholson
01-27-2016, 09:30 AM
Nice.

-john

Debow
04-15-2016, 08:04 AM
Hows the 12G coming Rick? Any updates, I know you have been planing for some time.

rickztahone
04-16-2016, 10:29 AM
Hows the 12G coming Rick? Any updates, I know you have been planing for some time.

Well yesterday I finally went and got my chiller. 1/5hp chiller for this tank :laugh:. I have also got my rock for scaping (free I may add!). Also was given a return pump by a very generous RC member.

Only thing I need now is my stand really. And some glass in order to make my AIO side mount overflow. After that, I am done.

Debow
04-16-2016, 01:49 PM
Nice, I always liked the 12g long.

rickztahone
04-16-2016, 03:46 PM
Nice, I always liked the 12g long.

actually, it is a 22g :). 36"x12"x12"

rickztahone
04-16-2016, 04:14 PM
Here's the quick check list of what I have so far:

-Tank itself, Mr. Aqua Low iron tank 36"x12"x12"
-Maxspect 16k 160w led fixture
-Jebao 12000 pump (will probably swap this out as it may be too strong)
-1/5hp Chiller
-Vortech MP20. Many warned me that this would be too loud. Well I tried it on my discus tank and it was quieter than my already super quiet Eheim 1260. This little pump pushed a lot of water even in my 75g, so I can only imagine that this will be more than suitable for a 22g.
-another return pump to run a manifold
-TLF Phosban reactor 150
-Spectapure 90gpd 5 stage RO/DI unit
-Got my live rock! (Free!!!)
-JBJ auto top off

also have miscellaneous stuff like my background which is a simple frosted glass tint.
got my Kreg Jig to make my stand. Ran me $50 with nails but I already put it to good use making a small play table for the kids
I'm sure I am forgetting other things but I still need the following:

Runner pliers as well as the glass itself for making the outer overflow box
Need BH's and ALL plumbing still
Need Fuge light
acrylic. The stand will incorporate accented acrylic and this will cost a pretty penny. Probably somewhere around $150 for the acrylic.
A couple more reactors
ATO reservoir
compartments for dosing. I may just make these last two myself out of acrylic though

Still need stand hardware and such but every day I am getting closer and closer to getting this thing up and running.

rickztahone
04-17-2016, 11:10 AM
No longer a 2 tank build so I changed the title of the thread :).

zchauvin
04-17-2016, 11:51 AM
No planted tank?? And I've got the perfect ATO container if you'd be interested.

rickztahone
04-17-2016, 05:34 PM
No planted tank?? And I've got the perfect ATO container if you'd be interested.

No planted tank. I sold the tank for $150 locally :(. It helped go towards the chiller though.

zchauvin
04-17-2016, 07:21 PM
No planted tank. I sold the tank for $150 locally :(. It helped go towards the chiller though.

That is unfortunate on both ends, having to sell the tank, and having to use a chiller! With my nano so far I have had no issues with heat and never needed a chiller. They are quite expensive and just one more liability on a tank.

Discus-n00b
04-17-2016, 07:31 PM
Do you expect to need the chiller? Outside heat or heat from equipment? I haven't found the need for one yet, that's big money stuff there lol

rickztahone
04-18-2016, 12:31 AM
Do you expect to need the chiller? Outside heat or heat from equipment? I haven't found the need for one yet, that's big money stuff there lol

Yeah, in the summer it gets too hot. Roughly 115. In our house, my discus tank gets to 86F with my AC running :(

zchauvin
04-18-2016, 07:03 AM
Yeah, in the summer it gets too hot. Roughly 115. In our house, my discus tank gets to 86F with my AC running :(

Geesh, and I thought it got here...

Debow
04-18-2016, 10:13 AM

Wow that's hot! MY thick New England blood would boil right out of me if I was there lol. At least you save on heating the tanks.

Discus-n00b
04-18-2016, 01:08 PM
I hear ya Ricardo, my house is close to the same in the summer. I turn all of my heaters off for multiple months, it's actually kind of nice. I haven't yet needed a chiller for my nano but it would be a cool toy to have.

rickztahone
04-18-2016, 02:05 PM
Geesh, and I thought it got here...
Yup, REALLY hot, lol. People don't really go out in the summer around here, you can actually get heat stroke and is very dangerous. All pets must come inside :)

Wow that's hot! MY thick New England blood would boil right out of me if I was there lol. At least you save on heating the tanks.
This is true. Heaters don't go on for a few months during this time. My aging barrel also is much easier to heat so a big plus on that front.

I hear ya Ricardo, my house is close to the same in the summer. I turn all of my heaters off for multiple months, it's actually kind of nice. I haven't yet needed a chiller for my nano but it would be a cool toy to have.

Honestly, I was set on getting one because of the heat and then someone had an offer on a 1/5hp chiller that I simply couldn't resist.

rickztahone
04-20-2016, 08:33 PM
Need people's opinion, which scape do you like for the 22g?

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1626/25944984194_5f2c362ea6_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/FwEPTG)Rock Scape 1 (https://flic.kr/p/FwEPTG) by Rick Vasquez (https://www.flickr.com/photos/138339753@N07/), on Flickr

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1688/26523948326_8234121a5e_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/GpQaKU)Rock Scape 2 (https://flic.kr/p/GpQaKU) by Rick Vasquez (https://www.flickr.com/photos/138339753@N07/), on Flickr

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1619/25947036963_0eb8bda159_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/FwRm7g)Rock Scape 3 (https://flic.kr/p/FwRm7g) by Rick Vasquez (https://www.flickr.com/photos/138339753@N07/), on Flickr

Only difference between 2 and 3 is that the arch is a little higher on one of them.

Keep in mind, this tank will be mainly euphyllia and RBTA's. The RBTA's I want to keep off on to one side and have their own little "island". Secondly, the rock structure on the left is rather branchy, would this be a problem for any euphyllia or RBTA's?

The highest that the rock work goes up to is about 8" I believe. The height of the tank is 12" and it will be BB

Debow
04-20-2016, 09:26 PM
Rick, I like either of the last 2, arches look natural and add depth. I think the island on the left would be fine for RBTA and the hammers on the right.

Discus-n00b
04-20-2016, 09:31 PM
Just remember like I posted in the waterfall tank thread, you won't be filling the rimless tank all the way to the top so if it's 12" you won't be using 12". I fear with the arches you will be losing real estate as that high in the tank with no room above it you won't be able to keep much without it starting to go laterally and shade the bottom or just being right under the water line which IMO looks a bit weird.

rickztahone
04-20-2016, 11:13 PM
Rick, I like either of the last 2, arches look natural and add depth. I think the island on the left would be fine for RBTA and the hammers on the right.
Awesome, thanks for the feedback.

Just remember like I posted in the waterfall tank thread, you won't be filling the rimless tank all the way to the top so if it's 12" you won't be using 12". I fear with the arches you will be losing real estate as that high in the tank with no room above it you won't be able to keep much without it starting to go laterally and shade the bottom or just being right under the water line which IMO looks a bit weird.
I had you in mind when I was doing the scape. I can make it so that it only comes up around 7". I'm thinking that I can only fill up the tank to about 11", so I should have 4" above the rock

ericNH
04-21-2016, 10:51 AM
I like the look of the 3rd landscape best.

zchauvin
04-21-2016, 11:17 AM
Awesome, thanks for the feedback.

I had you in mind when I was doing the scape. I can make it so that it only comes up around 7". I'm thinking that I can only fill up the tank to about 11", so I should have 4" above the rock

Rick, what do you plan to put on the rock with only 4" of clearance? You will find not much will fit there.

rickztahone
04-22-2016, 12:40 AM
I like the look of the 3rd landscape best.
Thanks for the feedback

Rick, what do you plan to put on the rock with only 4" of clearance? You will find not much will fit there.
Not quite sure honestly. Additionally, this height may make it so that the top corals get too much light. May have to think things over

bamzam
04-22-2016, 12:44 AM
I like the 3rd the best also. Do you think the extra $$$ was worth it for the low iron glass? I haven't seen these in person yet and the low iron is almost twice the price when comparing to standard glass for a 12 gallon.

rickztahone
04-22-2016, 12:45 AM
I like the 3rd the best also. Do you think the extra $$$ was worth it for the low iron glass? I haven't seen these in person yet and the low iron is almost twice the price when comparing to standard glass for a 12 gallon.

In one word, YES.

Debow
04-22-2016, 11:40 AM
Zoa's don't mind light and they grow nice and flat.

Discus-n00b
04-22-2016, 04:34 PM
Could save the space maybe get a small stick later on something that kind of tables.

zchauvin
04-22-2016, 04:45 PM
Thanks for the feedback

Not quite sure honestly. Additionally, this height may make it so that the top corals get too much light. May have to think things over

With such a shallow tank that maxspect won't be able to go over probably 20% intensity and there isn't going to be an option of placing coral in low vs high light. But, other than zoanthid,shroom, or Acan, not much else will fit in 4" of water.

rickztahone
04-24-2016, 05:12 PM
Do you guys/gals think that is too much rock for such a small tank? I don't want to make mistakes early on that could have been easily avoided in the beginning. It just seems like many seem to remove rock down the line because it was too much. Is this like our equivalent of sand being too thick in our discus tanks?

zchauvin
04-24-2016, 05:43 PM
Do you guys/gals think that is too much rock for such a small tank? I don't want to make mistakes early on that could have been easily avoided in the beginning. It just seems like many seem to remove rock down the line because it was too much. Is this like our equivalent of sand being too thick in our discus tanks?

Ricardo, in my opinion yes. If I were to be doing what you are I would go with aquascape #1 and remove the small middle rock. This will get more negative space and give more room for coral growth. Just my opinion. 9/10 times people end up starting off with too much rock. Even if you don't house any SPS, you may be surprised how much an LPS can open up. Factor in that they will sting each other and that euphyllia especially, can sting up to 6" away, you will run out of room quickly.

rickztahone
04-24-2016, 06:01 PM
Ricardo, in my opinion yes. If I were to be doing what you are I would go with aquascape #1 and remove the small middle rock. This will get more negative space and give more room for coral growth. Just my opinion. 9/10 times people end up starting off with too much rock. Even if you don't house any SPS, you may be surprised how much an LPS can open up. Factor in that they will sting each other and that euphyllia especially, can sting up to 6" away, you will run out of room quickly.

Unfortunately, this was my impression too as well as my concern. The problem is that I really liked the scape, lol. However, I am a stickler for appearances, but not at the sacrifice of functionality. I will redo the scape and hope that it is as aesthetically pleasing to my eye, as well as functional.

I believe I may have asked this prior, but is the branching like rock on the left a concern with regards to having coral grow on it? Does it make it more difficult?

zchauvin
04-24-2016, 06:20 PM
The rock on the left is perfectly suited for coral as it has many places to put any kind of branching lps/sps on it. The only thing is be careful with anemones on it, as once they get their foot lodged deep inside you will have trouble getting them out.

rickztahone
04-24-2016, 06:53 PM
The rock on the left is perfectly suited for coral as it has many places to put any kind of branching lps/sps on it. The only thing is be careful with anemones on it, as once they get their foot lodged deep inside you will have trouble getting them out.

gotcha. both would be separated from each other. The placement will pretty much be determined by which of the two, euphyllias or RBTA needs more flow. The power head will be on the opposite side of the overflow and whichever needs more flow will be closer to that Vortech

zchauvin
04-24-2016, 07:05 PM
gotcha. both would be separated from each other. The placement will pretty much be determined by which of the two, euphyllias or RBTA needs more flow. The power head will be on the opposite side of the overflow and whichever needs more flow will be closer to that Vortech

Whatever you do, put the anemones first. Ive always added them once the tank is cycled, but some claim the tank needs to be established for a few months before introducing anemones. I've seen anemones that are in close to no current and some in high flow areas. Doesn't matter where you put them, they will move. Best to let them pick a spot before adding any coral.

rickztahone
04-24-2016, 08:24 PM
Whatever you do, put the anemones first. Ive always added them once the tank is cycled, but some claim the tank needs to be established for a few months before introducing anemones. I've seen anemones that are in close to no current and some in high flow areas. Doesn't matter where you put them, they will move. Best to let them pick a spot before adding any coral.

thanks. That was actually my plan of action.

Debow
04-25-2016, 11:20 AM
I googled this scape kind of like your first idea. I like the cave that is to the right.

rickztahone
04-25-2016, 01:30 PM
I googled this scape kind of like your first idea. I like the cave that is to the right.

Yeah, very similar. However, that tank has much shorter rock work, so I may try to implement this better in my scape. I will try again on that front :)

Discus-n00b
04-25-2016, 02:59 PM
I prefer minimalist type structure in my reef tanks. I'd rather give the coral room to fill it up rather than the rock. Real coral reefs aren't all rock anyway, lots of coral structure. I'm not the biggest fan of the bumpy, branching type of rock but it should work no different provided you can attach the coral in the nooks and crannies like you want. For my next build, or upgrade I've actually considered going full plate type rocks myself.

rickztahone
04-25-2016, 04:21 PM
I prefer minimalist type structure in my reef tanks. I'd rather give the coral room to fill it up rather than the rock. Real coral reefs aren't all rock anyway, lots of coral structure. I'm not the biggest fan of the bumpy, branching type of rock but it should work no different provided you can attach the coral in the nooks and crannies like you want. For my next build, or upgrade I've actually considered going full plate type rocks myself.

I should send some your way. The free rock I got, most were full plate rocks. Largest one was roughly 10" across :)

Debow
04-25-2016, 05:10 PM
I know you got the rock for free but have you thought about starting fresh with some new rock that give you more sizes to work with?Expand your horizons? Maybe this selection and sized are not working for your size tank or your eye appeal. I request softball size pieces when I orders from BRS and they delivered.

Discus-n00b
04-25-2016, 05:56 PM
I'd consider purchasing shelf pieces from you depending on the pieces and of course if I could make up my mind what tank I want to move into and where to get it from lol. My setup draws me to a peninsula build but no one sells peninsula ready tanks without going full custom. And it scares me to buy a rimless and drill it myself but the more and more I look at it, the more likely I need to do that....or go for a typical against the wall type setup. Ideally I'd love to at least double my volume just in the display but also considering something in the dimension range of 32-36x20x15.

Maybe I"ll send out for a few quotes, perhaps the prices will surprise me in a good way. I'm blaming you and Devon for driving this bus.

rickztahone
04-25-2016, 06:59 PM
I'd consider purchasing shelf pieces from you depending on the pieces and of course if I could make up my mind what tank I want to move into and where to get it from lol. My setup draws me to a peninsula build but no one sells peninsula ready tanks without going full custom. And it scares me to buy a rimless and drill it myself but the more and more I look at it, the more likely I need to do that....or go for a typical against the wall type setup. Ideally I'd love to at least double my volume just in the display but also considering something in the dimension range of 32-36x20x15.

Maybe I"ll send out for a few quotes, perhaps the prices will surprise me in a good way. I'm blaming you and Devon for driving this bus.

Cut your own glass/acrylic and insert it in the back of the tank as an overflow, and voila! Peninsula style tank!

With regards to the rocks, I can ship them to you for whatever it costs to ship them but you can have them for free. Paying forward someone's generosity. However, keep in mind, they are kinda heavy. I can take pics if need be.

rickztahone
05-03-2016, 10:52 PM
Well I got to say, I learned 2 things in the span of less than 5 days, first, I suck at drilling glass and second, I suck at CUTTING glass as well lol. I tried and failed to cut glass today. Bought a glass cutter and runner pliers and epically failed. That makes 2 glass panes I have broken in the last few days

Bala de Plata
05-04-2016, 11:56 PM
Sorry to hear this Ricardo. Maybe j can free up some time to help? Or you going plan B..?

rickztahone
05-05-2016, 01:19 AM
Sorry to hear this Ricardo. Maybe j can free up some time to help? Or you going plan B..?

Definitely going plan B. I doubt the tools I bought were made to cut this type of glass. I wanted to cut 1/4" glass, but even when I dropped down to one that was thinner (1/8"?), it didn't cut, so I gave up.

I got this tool:
http://www.amazon.com/Metal-Handle-Straight-Glass-Cutter/dp/B001G16VP0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1462425424&sr=8-2&keywords=crl+brass+oil+cutter

and this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Delphi-Glass-Dragon-Running-Pliers/dp/B00IOOUL26/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1462425441&sr=8-5&keywords=runner+pliers

Got the oil too but no matter what I tried I failed, and failed miserably. I am probably resolved to go plan B which is to take the remaining panes of glass and have a pro cut them. That's $40 down the drain but lesson learned :(

I will however, attempt to drill the glass again, that I know I can do for sure.

Additionally, today I thought of switching something up with the tank. Will not finalize anything but it is a major overhaul to what my plans were. Still SW, but the schematics of how I was going to set it up is going to change dramatically.

Stay tuned.

Discus-n00b
05-05-2016, 08:42 AM
This is why I'm scared to touch my 100gal lol

Rapture
05-06-2016, 01:41 AM
I cut some glass for the first time recently and it went okay.... not beautiful but the glass did get cut. It was thin glass, though, if that matters.

rickztahone
05-06-2016, 08:53 PM
Every day I get closer and closer. After tomorrow we will be in high gear with this build. Should have her wet in the next month or two tops

rickztahone
05-08-2016, 05:50 PM
Started a whole new thread for the build. You can find it here:
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?124474-OT-Rickztah-s-Low-Iron-22g-SW-peninsula-tank