PDA

View Full Version : Driftwood

delta5
01-23-2016, 05:05 PM
My discus are pecking at a piece of driftwood I just added to their tank. It's a Malaysian piece that I boiled a few times in 100% ro water since it was with my Green Terror and rams. I assume it's okay for them to peck at it?

Kyla
01-23-2016, 09:17 PM
id say its fine, discus r curious and they r just investigating something that is new and interesting :)

Kyla
01-23-2016, 09:19 PM
how big r they? they may even decide to lay eggs on it! often they will peck at vertical surfaces to clean a spot for laying eggs on :)

delta5
01-23-2016, 09:30 PM
how big r they? they may even decide to lay eggs on it! often they will peck at vertical surfaces to clean a spot for laying eggs on :)

They're roughly 3.5", but are a mated pair. Rather sure their growth was stunted. They been picking at the black pipe to my C-360 a little to, but since I put the driftwood in they have been all over it.

RogueDiscus
01-23-2016, 10:24 PM
If you know they're a mated pair, sounds like they're thinking about spawning and cleaning surfaces. Let 'em do their thing and enjoy the show. Raising fry is a whole different ballgame, and you can read up on SD if you want to try that. If they're really only 3.5 " and spawning, you're probably right about them being stunted, but you can enjoy them anyway. Got any pics?

delta5
01-24-2016, 12:26 AM
If you know they're a mated pair, sounds like they're thinking about spawning and cleaning surfaces. Let 'em do their thing and enjoy the show. Raising fry is a whole different ballgame, and you can read up on SD if you want to try that. If they're really only 3.5 " and spawning, you're probably right about them being stunted, but you can enjoy them anyway. Got any pics?

Here is my latest photo: 93675

I been stressing about their lines but after bugging my wife about it for a few hours she came up with a fast solution to see if the lines are stress. She smacked the glass, the fish darted and lost their stripes. After yelling at her she says, 'look. Their lines are gone.' Sorry for the rambling. They haven't been in my tank 30 hours when they started the pecking surfaces. So maybe they're scavenging?

Cosmo
01-24-2016, 11:49 PM
Slap your wife! Probably better not, but she deserves it for slapping the tank :P

rickztahone
01-25-2016, 05:42 PM
Slap your wife! Probably better not, but she deserves it for slapping the tank :P

lol. No on hitting the wife, but maybe in the future, ask her to be a little less "hands on" with her examples

delta5
01-25-2016, 07:16 PM
We are all in luv with these fish. surprisingly they seem to be okay with an energetic 4yr old running around the house. The tank is in high traffic area. With no substrate I am shocked at how much fish poop just two of these make.

rickztahone
01-25-2016, 07:17 PM
We are all in luv with these fish. surprisingly they seem to be okay with an energetic 4yr old running around the house. The tank is in high traffic area. With no substrate I am shocked at how much fish poop just two of these make.

Imagine a whole group of them, and imagine it all being buried in substrate ;)

delta5
01-25-2016, 07:36 PM
Imagine a whole group of them, and imagine it all being buried in substrate ;)

Yeah... I did three poop cleanups today. Now to install them a toilet and train them to use it lol.

Akili
01-25-2016, 07:58 PM
The edges of the fins and tail look a little frail to me with the one on the top of the picture, may due to transition from LFS to your tank. But they have nice color. Good luck with them and hopeful you get a beautiful spawn too.

delta5
01-25-2016, 08:06 PM
The edges of the fins and tail look a little frail to me with the one on the top of the picture, may due to transition from LFS to your tank. But they have nice color. Good luck with them and hopeful you get a beautiful spawn too.

They were like that when I got them. The store had them in what I assume to be a 20g. Their tank and the 90g tank holding prob 20 2.5" discus were all hooked together using a sump with only 3 water changes a week.

Akili
01-25-2016, 08:16 PM
They were like that when I got them. The store had them in what I assume to be a 20g. Their tank and the 90g tank holding prob 20 2.5" discus were all hooked together using a sump with only 3 water changes a week.Plenty room they will be fine,with a few more water changes they improve a lot.Post some pictures when they gained their full color.

seankelly
01-25-2016, 09:37 PM
I posted a question last night about stress bars,because when my were stressed they weren't showing their stress bars,but really didn't get many responses,I'm thinking maybe they should be called something else,nice looking discus by the way.Good Luck
Sean

delta5
01-26-2016, 12:02 PM
I posted a question last night about stress bars,because when my were stressed they weren't showing their stress bars,but really didn't get many responses,I'm thinking maybe they should be called something else,nice looking discus by the way.Good Luck
Sean

Thank you. Knowing how your fish look and act when healthy is what matters imo.